Navigation using Garmin

HymerVan

Recently back from Europe on a 5000 mile journey where our Garmin took us into some interesting places, some intended some not. In particular occasional mad incursions onto mountainous roads e.g. deep into the hills behind Monaco where inclines and bends put our (very agile) vehicle at its limits.

We are not slaves to our satnav but we do like to drive on backroads. We carry good maps and our Garmin is regularly updated.

Sometimes however Mr Garmins navigation was bizarre with "two hour" journeys taking six.

We are now using Garmin display to highlight direction of travel during the journey and trying to identify and veto daft routes as they occur.

Has anyone got any other useful tips for avoiding problems

An increasing problem, several places around here, including Alton Towers, have a " do not use sat-nav" signs. It is so beguiling when you are an unfamiliar place to do what you are told by an authoritive female voice.

A large scale map and half an hour planning the day before is my only advice, but I still end up being led up the garden path. (Literally)

both our Tomtoms allow you to see the proposed route in overview, of you compare to a map and dont like it, you can alter by routing via a point or adding way arks etc.....

our pals have two other types of satnav, one maybe Garmin, neither can show you the route it has planned.....you just have to go with it...or not....

bolero boy - 2015-05-15 3:56 PM

both our Tomtoms allow you to see the proposed route in overview, of you compare to a map and dont like it, you can alter by routing via a point or adding way arks etc.....

our pals have two other types of satnav, one maybe Garmin, neither can show you the route it has planned.....you just have to go with it...or not....

Hi there,

Just a note to advise that one touch of the map screen gives you an overview of the selected route on my Garmin 760 LMT-D

Regards,

Paul

bolero boy - 2015-05-15 3:56 PM

Thanks for input so far. Yes we are aware of the display route function and do review routes beforehand albeit some daily routes were 500 kilometres plus. We also do use intermediate waypoints to push the route in a particular way but sometimes the Garmin stumbles for no obvious reason and does a "recalculate" with bizarre results.

Some Garmins, but not all, allow you to download routes which you have planned on your computer using Garmin Base Camp, a route planning utility which they provide FOC (or the older Mapsource, which I still prefer) and this allows you to vet and alter the route to suit your preferences. I used to do this routinely when toruing on my motorcycle, choosing the scenic and good biking roads. I sometimes use a Michelin map as an aid to planning because they highlight the scenic roads in green.

It takes while to get the hang of using the planning software but it certainly isn't rocket science. I also use Mapsource to check and change transit routes in the motorhome. The computer plans the route initially, using whatever parameters you have entered as your routing preferences, then you can modify the route, using a click and drag approach.

Unfortunately not all Garmins let you download routes planned in this way, for example I bought a cheap Nuvi a while ago which doesn't seem to. But the Zumos do. I'm still using my elderly Garmin Street Pilots, even though the maps cannot be updated beyond 2009.

You can also switch off automatic recalulation on some Garmins so if you hit a "Route Barré", which the French seem to like springing on you, to help by passing the obstruction by keeping your planned route in view, to help work your way back on to it.

Archived