Travelex Supercard - the way to go for Cheap Euro

lennyhb

There is a new card on the block.

This is a new card on offering wholesale exchange rate, better than the best bank card rate you can get, no payment up front, you link it to one of your existing bank account (or CC).

It is a Visa card use like any other Visa card, draw out cash at ATM's etc. each time you use the card it debits your linked bank account in GPB at the best exchange rate you can get & no fees.

Mine is on the way to me.

It is a pilot sceem so they may limit the numbers, you can only apply via iPhone or Android app, just go to Appp store or Apple store and search "Supercard" and choose the Travelex app.

Info here

If anyone is in need of a card for abroad now the Travelex card is fully subscribed the Halifax Clarity card is a good one.  Their exchange rates are excellent (always pay in local currency) and interest if used to withdraw cash the interest is minimal as long as you pay it off each month.  The advantage is they do not charge a fee for foreign transactions nor do they charge for cash withdrawls although the ATM operator might do so.  Other cards give poor exchange rates 'and' load another 3% or so for actioning a foreign currency transaction.  This card does none of that.

We used ours recently in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand and Dubai and checking the statement has borne out how much better this card is over any other we have used.    But remember to pay it off each month otherwise, like any other card the interest mounts up.

Another option is a card called 'We Swap'.  Basically it is a pre load card in a number of currencies.  Their exchange rates are very good.  This one is best used for purchases only as we were charged for cash withdrawls.

This card has been well reviewed by Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert - read the item here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2015/05/the-new-king-of-spending-abroad-the-free-supercard-launches-today

He does say that the Halifax Clarity Card offers a better day to day exchange rate as it is a Mastercard not Visa.

We really rate the Clarity card - excellent.

Matrix Meanderer - 2015-05-15 4:52 PM

This card has been well reviewed by Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert - read the item here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2015/05/the-new-king-of-spending-abroad-the-free-supercard-launches-today

He does say that the Halifax Clarity Card offers a better day to day exchange rate as it is a Mastercard not Visa.

We really rate the Clarity card - excellent.

The difference between MasterCard & Visa exchange rates is less than 0.1%

rupert123 - 2015-05-15 7:14 PM

This is an experimental untested system so you take the chance. I checked yesterday and for every £1000 it saved about £9, nothing much to get excited about. This was against a Fairfx card.

Fairfax card is a pre paid card, I don't give my hard earned cash up front to anyone.

Archived