Labour Charges

Mike B.

Just been trying to have a repair done to my shower and have been quoted £60 per hour plus vat-that's £72 per hour for labour!! ( the job requires 10 hrs labour allegedly)

This is a well known dealer but even so I think it is excessive. Am I very naive and out of touch or is this a reasonable charge?

Wonder how much the service engineer is paid per hour.

Mike

Around here top whack is £50, most charge about £35 but main dealers are silly money.

What's the job entail? If a lot of the time is stripping out the old stuff then you can often do that yourself and leave the difficult stuff to the experts.

Often firms quote high rates if they don't really want the job.

Not necessarily out of touch but here goes.

A local independant garage charges £35

A branded (S***A) car dealer charges £75

A high end German brand car dealer charges £125

All plus vat of course and per hour.

Motorhome repairs, I suspect you weren't being ripped off based on a similar repair I had done.

Martyn

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2015-05-15 8:34 PM

A high end German brand car dealer charges £125

Gawd bless the wealthy :D ............they seem to expect to pay more ;-) ............

Time to put my prices up :-> ........

Go abroad. Last year, our incorrectly fitted by our dealer, bike rack slipped and needed fitting properly.

We went to a Fiamma dealer in Italy, who removed it, reshaped the buckled door, refitted with the correct security bolts. Over three hours work and we were charged 60€.

Just got my van back from my local(ish) dealer - a main dealer for Autoslepper, Autotrail, Rapido and Burstner.

Labour charge was £48 per hour plus VAT

However, I was not impressed with the service or work quality, so maybe you get what you pay for? It was a 3 hour job, I would gladly have paid a bit more for a better job.

Will not be going back.

Does anyone have any positive experience of mobile workshops in the Edinburgh/Lothians/Fife area?

Guest Joe90

Due to a cock up with advice that my front brake pads were fine by a UK garage, found myself needing to get them changed in France last year.................244 Euros 8-) (!)

A job that should have taken about an hour maximum.

A very large dealership I know of charges £69 an hour, what people do not know is all their mechanical work is farmed out to an independent garage that charges £35 an hour, a nice little earner, still they do have some nice leather sofas to sit on when you go to collect your van. ;-)

Archived