electric bikes

Pete-B

No experience of Pro Rider, but they are all hub drives if you want to get up hills you really need a crank drive. Also the price range is only what you would expect to pay for an ordinary bike so you are not going to get much for your money.

Hi, we have 2 prorider wayfarer folding bikes, and in general terms are happy with them

but we have had small niggles..both have had a problem with the saddle spring mountings..there is a black shaped "washer" in the springs which has broken when we picked the bikes up by the back of the saddles..

the first one was replaced without question by prorider, but the second one I have repaired, at least temporarily.

batteries are 36 volt and seem to be adequately rated for our use, and the hub drives also give adequate performance for our use.

the weight of each bike is quoted as 15kg, but in reality closer to 18kg plus battery weight over 3kg each, so closer to 22kg for each bike.

bike rack loading is quoted as 50 kg so not much spare..we take saddles and batteries off and travel with those in the van, packed forward of the rear axle.

prorider dont supply certificate of conformity, so if you use them in spain, you could be stopped by spanish police,..best to remove batteries and ride them as normal bikes.

some friends have the same bikes and claim to have done 40 miles on the level along a canal towpath in France last year without losing power..

derailier gears give 6 speeds, but personally I feel that gearing could be better chosen, top gear peddaling require fairly fast pedalling to keep motor active..no strain, but ratio could be better.

Folding them down to fit on rack meant adjustments to mountings and fittings, no problem but needed. a bit of thought.. for us it is a 2person lift to load and unload, .

Hope this might help

tonyg3nwl

Hi, my wife and I got Raleigh trail bikes 3 years ago, batteries still going strong and great at assisting going up hills etc, can't remember when we last had to get off and push. Cost then about £1100 each but don't think that's changed much, been very reliable but to be fair we don't use them in the rain. Prefer to sit and watch the rain out of the window!

Graeme

I have a Pro Rider wayfarer, I am very pleased with it and it has 7 speed gears, on my 20" wheels I found that I was pedalling quite fast for the speed I was doing. I have replaced the 38 toothed crank for a 43 toothed crank and now the gearing is good for my style of riding. I have friends who have the other folding Pro Rider with the 26" wheels and their gearing is fine.

I am on my second trip to Benidorm with my Pro Rider and have had no problems with the Police whatsoever, A lot of people stopping in Benidorm own Pro Riders and the same no problems at all.

John.

Ps mine flies up steep hills no problem at all.

I also have a pair of Prorider folding bikes which we bought about 3 years ago. I have to say these have been excellent and continuously used for varying types of service. So far no evidence of battery life diminishing. We generally recharge after each day's journey (s).

The bikes were also used when we overwintered in Portugal the winter before last - for about 3 months. We have a Safari room, so immobile when overwintering. The bikes get us around - for trips of 20 to 30 miles or so on mixed tracks and paved surfaces. The tyres are quite wide - so good for rough tracks. We have only had one puncture - just recently on N.Dorset trailway. Tube easily separated from tyre and mended.

The bikes are reasonably weather resistant - mainly Aluminium alloy and stainless steel. They have been left out under covers, and in & out of our motorhome garage countless times. I agree with the previous comments on low gearing and the weight of the bikes. However the root of the low gearing is that they have relatively small wheels, and the crank position is fairly low. This in turn limits the size of crown gear wheel that can be fitted - the existing one is about as large as I would like - any larger and it would be too near the road surface. In turn the highest gear hub sprocket gear is about as small as can be fitted. The problem is small wheels need to turn much more per mph and need high gearing. Still the change to a modest increase of crank gear I could agree would be beneficial.

The 36v bulb in one front light failed - I fabricated a LED array to replace it - much better beam .

i feel very good value for £550 or so - and they have "flattened out" the hills which is what we wanted them for !

Guest JudgeMental

So can I take from some if the above comment's that you are willing to pay the heavy fines that have been issued for riding these illegal throttle bikes in Spain?

FYI this is a fact: If bike is not EN 15194 compliant it is not legal to ride anywhere in Europe....a personal choice if you want to risk it....there are better, totally legal bikes around anyway so why risk it....

JudgeMental - 2015-05-20 7: the heavy fines that have been issued for riding these illegal throttle bikes in Spain?...

Heavy fines, there is only one that has been documented in the press as far as I know and it is now at least 2 years since this was published , and no one as come forward since and said that they have had any problems with the police or been fined at all.

There as also been seen here in Benidorm a bike that has been converted with a chain saw motor attached, quite a few Dutch with petrol engines and number plates removed riding around. I would think the Spanish Police would be chasing these people before chasing someone on a throttle assisted bike.

Just my opinion as you keep pushing your's.

John.

Archived