Aires and Campsites

robertandjean

No have not lost all sense and not intending to start a thread which resurects all the old arguments as to which is best. No just thought would give details about a couple of Aires we have stayed on this time which we think would appeal to those who prefer campsites but might like to put a toe in the aires water.

The first is St. Jean sur Mayenne, not far from Lavel in the Mayene. This is in fact an old campsite, with individual hedged pitches comprising hard standing and grass at side, each with hook up and water point. There is a toilet/shower block which even includes hot water on outside dish wash sinks. Aire is next to the Mayenne river so good walks available, whilst the village has a bread shop and bar. Cost is 9€/night collected each evening, when aire gate is then closed! A great place to relax and chill out for a couple of days.

If however, you want to more in the thick of things then suggest the aire in Nantes. This aire adjourned the camp site Petit Port with the tram direct to Nantes centre just outside. There are 15 pitches here all large and on grass, but firm under; each pitch is well spaced from next but are under trees so no Sat tv. There are no hook ups here but free water, waste dump etc at entrance. You have allowed use of site bar, restaurant etc and the gates which secure site at night also include aire. Why stay here instead of site? Well setting is nicer and cost much less. In peak times, including early May when we were there, site cost 35€/night whilst aire was 10€/night. There is of course no hook up on aire and no showers so if these are a priority then aire not for you, if however the more open feel and much lower cost appeals then maybe worth a try.(This aire is part of the camping car parks chain, which we know some do not like, but obtain the pass card, from their website, prior to using any of these Aires and entry is just a matter of putting card in front of reader, PM us if you need more info).

Guest Joe90

As a seasoned Aire user I'd certainly be looking for a Municipal at those prices, 10 Euros is taking the proverbial, plus camp sites are entirely different, and it's extremely annoying to see folk staying on an Aire putting out awnings, tables and chairs, and hogging an electric point if one is provided, and staying for days on end

They are a convenience pure and simple for folk either en-route, or for a day or two look around, that's what they are supposed to be about...........not an alternative to a camp site.

As for the camping car parks chain, one of our regular lakeside stopovers has been taken over by these rob dogs, previously free, now with a high tech pay to enter barrier, and a charge of 10 Euros, with bugger all apart from one service point which was already there ( and this newly installed pay barrier also prevents the local French families taking a car to have a picnic now unless they cough up for the privilege, I bet they are fuming, and quite right too )

I sincerely hope to see a local taking a rope to the barrier sometime soon so the French can have back what previously they had for free............. >:-(

And I can only hope the French Motorhomers boycott the camping car parks chain, together with their flashy machines and cards.

Hi, my immediate reaction to hear that "aires"are charging 10 euro a night is a bit worrying..I thought that 2 euro for water, was about the usual, and maybe 2 for I hour electric..

maybe I will have to increase my budget this year..or search out more France Passion sites.

Can it be that the "aires"referred to are being upgraded to be small campsites, municipals perhaps?

Tonyg3nwl

Not for a second am I disputing the 'rules' about roll out awnings etc on aires. They are a stop over - not a site. Of course there's a BUT coming.

Staying on an aire last year, we looked about and you name it and it was out, awnings, loungers etc. Ok, so I had a wander, spoke to some Brits, Dutch and French who all said the same, why not??

To be fair, the aire had individual bays, EHU and room for chairs etc to be out.

Is that breaking the 'rules'?

Martyn (not a prolific aire user)

Just popped back to see what's going on.

Bit of confusion here I think. The "rules" referred to are not, on the whole, about designated Aires (unless there's a notice saying so). They're about the freedom France allows for motorhomes to PARK (not camp) anywhere a car can. It's when you make use of THAT freedom that you have to be careful not to "camp." Anything other than wheels on the ground will allow the local authority to tell you to move (although many won't bother).

Hope that helps (and doesn't confuse everyone even more!)

I am with Joe on this. I use aires a lot more than I used to but when they charge this much why would you bother. As to the camping car parks lot I had a moan about them a couple of years ago after an experience at Millau. It takes longer to get into one of their aires than booking into a campsite so the so called freedom of aires goes right out the window.

So, as an impartial observer, can I ask:

If an "aire" has a pay to enter barrier or someone who collects the fees (10 euro) each evening when it's locked, has clearly defined, spacious, possibly even hedged pitches (where, rightly or wrongly folk can put out loungers etc) and as we often hear, get busy so you need to get there by midday/early afternoon etc....then isn't that just a campsite?...albeit a slightly cheaper, possibly "unmanned" one? :-S

Surely there's an obvious sliding scale here...? :-S

pepe63 - 2015-05-17 10:14 AM

If an "aire" has a pay to enter barrier or someone who collects the fees (10 euro) each evening when it's locked, has clearly defined, spacious, possibly even hedged pitches (where, rightly or wrongly folk can put out loungers etc) and as we often hear, get busy so you need to get there by midday/early afternoon etc....then isn't that just a campsite?...albeit a slightly cheaper, possibly "unmanned" one? :-S

I'm also impartial and have the same view. Two years ago in June we turned up late afternoon with no booking at the nice ACSI site at Gien on the Loire and pitched up next to the river, with plenty of space around the van, looking across at the town. It was 16 euros a night with EHU. The next day we drove 23 km to Sully to visit the chateau and at lunch time the aire was jammed full with vans parked as close as cars in a car park. I've seen nice aires too and funnily enough there was a very nice aire in a small village between Gien and Sully which only had one van on it.

Guest Joe90

Perhaps they were at Sully to visit the chateau, so don't quite understand the point, and don't personally see the problem with being parked like cars if it's somewhere someone wants to visit, surely that's the point, it's not a campsite, it's a convenience, I've stopped at Aires in major cities for the same reason, have a butchers round and off again the next day or two, :-S

pepe63 - 2015-05-17 10:14 AM

As another impartial observer , my view is that there is really no major difference between campsites and aires.

Both are simply places where you are " officially " authourised to stay the night.

The only differences I see are that aires are for motorhomes only.

You can, if you wish , book a place on a campsite, but not on an aire.

;-)

Guest Joe90

With apologies, but only goes to confirm the misinformation about the Aires network in France,

unless the average site does not have toilets, showers,wash basins, electric hookups, your own designated pitch, somewhere to spread out with your awning and chairs, wash and dry clothes,and the freedom to stop virtually as long as you like. :-S

Joe90 - 2015-05-17 11:24 AM

With apologies, but only goes to confirm the misinformation about the Aires network in France,

unless the average site does not have toilets, showers,wash basins, electric hookups, your own designated pitch, somewhere to spread out with your awning and chairs, wash and dry clothes,and the freedom to stop virtually as long as you like. :-S

I agree with Joe90.

Aires are, indeed, VERY basic campsites.

(... and, I would add, usually a lot less' formal' )

;-)

Was on an aires and adjacent French MH had awning out. Along comes local plod making an issue of awning. Motor homer lifted the legs and attached them to the brackets fitted to the side of his MH and plod quite happy. A storm in a tea cup with very little common sense by plod. I fitted these brackets to ensure I would have no problems if the situation every occurred.

As far as difference between aires and campsites, in the majority, unless they have been originally campsites, there is a vast difference. Been on one with police visiting regularly and making absolutely no comment about awnings or gazebos erected. Aires was a part time campsite/aires now full time aires bringing revenue into locality. Length of stay was no problem so it would appear there are differences how aires are managed

Guest Joe90
The bottom line is people do things in different ways, some will roll their awning out, others will park within touching distance, I've encountered exactly the same in the UK, drive to the most isolated part of a car park, and you can bet your life someone will think you're lonely and in need of some company. ;-)

Guest pelmetman

Thanks for the heads up R&J always useful to hear first hand reports of aires ;-) ..........

As to how to behave on aires, I've always adopted the when in Rome approach, as the French have a very relaxed attitude to rules & regulations in my experience :D ..........

For example on the aire at Biarritz there's been a father and son living on there for at least the past 5 years 8-) .....

As Malc said in theory you can not book a pitch either, but if a French van are expecting their chums to arrive, they'll spread all kinds of stuff over the pitch next to them to reserve it :-S ....

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2015-05-17 6:01 PM

So, when is an aire not an aire, that is the question?

When its not in the "All the Aires" book, then your wildcamping ;-) ................

Oh NO......I've just said the "W" word 8-) ..............

(lol)

We use Aires for what they are mere stop overs and to use to visit the vicinity and move on. Some are very pleasant some are just glorified car parks we have a loo shower all on board facilities use them happy days if your vans comfortable whats the problem, that's what it's for.

Have just been in that much maligned Aire at Honfluer it is really not as bad as people make out and for a visit to the town excellent if you can afford the prices in there. But this weekend being the long Accession weekend was manic with vans all over the place well exceeding the allowed vans by at least 50 or more. What did the authorities do nothing walked round tried to sort out some order they need the income. We had a good spot but moved on after a night to the ACSI site down the road for 6 euro more. Heated toilets shower and free wifi no brainer to me, but that's an example of a site over an Aire.

One thing with Aires though with spaces available why oh why does Jean-Claude come in and park between two of you or so close you can't open any locker doors and with all the extra space available.

Joe90 - 2015-05-16 8:18 PM

As a seasoned Aire user I'd certainly be looking for a Municipal at those prices, 10 Euros is taking the proverbial, plus camp sites are entirely different, and it's extremely annoying to see folk staying on an Aire putting out awnings, tables and chairs, and hogging an electric point if one is provided, and staying for days on end

They are a convenience pure and simple for folk either en-route, or for a day or two look around, that's what they are supposed to be about...........not an alternative to a camp site.

As for the camping car parks chain, one of our regular lakeside stopovers has been taken over by these rob dogs, previously free, now with a high tech pay to enter barrier, and a charge of 10 Euros, with bugger all apart from one service point which was already there ( and this newly installed pay barrier also prevents the local French families taking a car to have a picnic now unless they cough up for the privilege, I bet they are fuming, and quite right too )

I sincerely hope to see a local taking a rope to the barrier sometime soon so the French can have back what previously they had for free............. >:-(

And I can only hope the French Motorhomers boycott the camping car parks chain, together with their flashy machines and cards.

Joe, as stated in original post put this on not to cause controversy but to point out a couple of Aires that are camp site like and as such might well appeal to those yet to make use of Aires but not yet ready for Honfleur! You are correct that many Aires are much more basic than these and this type are great for a quick overnight stop. But the Aires network is changing with more Aires charging and more now being upgraded. For example when the work is completed on aire at Dieppe it will have individual pitches with hook ups but will cost 12€/night. This is in no way an isolated example with old municipal sites converting to Aires, New purpose built Aires and upgrades. In almost all cases these have individual pitches, hook ups and charge between 8 and 15 €/night. Again on these Aires it is common for tables chairs etc to be set out, although we rarely do and for some to stay long term.

Regarding camping car parks then obtain the pass card, charge up on line and entry to any of their Aires could not be simpler. We have now used 4 with no problems and three out of the four provided individual hook ups.

Yes it can happen that when hook ups are limited it might be hard to plug in but we always take a splitter and find most French vanners happy to share. Happened this time on the free aire at Chateubriant, which has only two points, one taken by French long termer (there is a 24 hour limit here!) So other French vanners and ourselves shared.

Enjoy your trip to France, we did staying on Aires and a couple of France Passion stop overs. Some Aires were basic and free, or a few euros only, others as indicated were more expensive and had individual hook ups. Some we stayed one night , most two or three, and one six nights. But is that not what it's all about choosing what suits each of us best. Over the years we must have stayed on 600 or more Aires and whilst at first we sought out ones miles from anywhere and were often on our own, we now stay mainly on the larger Aires with more facilities; funny how tastes change.

Howdy

I really hope this trend to create aires with campsite type facilities does not take off. This company Camper Park or whatever they are called are turning them into Caravan Club sites! I suspect the out of the way village small aires which are our preferred option will remain free and have plenty of space though. I would rather spend a few quid in local shops than pay some corporate company for a load of facilities I neither need or want.

Electronic barriers, hookup, individual bays etc. That sounds like a campsite to me. No thanks.

We stayed on a really nice campsite at Vannes in Brittany last year. There was an Aire right beside it, with electronic barrier, walls, electronic payment etc. Horrible. It wasn't much cheaper than the ACSI campsite price, so I couldn't see the point.

Archived