Aires and Campsites

robertandjean

candapack - 2015-05-18 8:30 AM

We stayed on a really nice campsite at Vannes in Brittany last year. There was an Aire right beside it, with electronic barrier, walls, electronic payment etc. Horrible. It wasn't much cheaper than the ACSI campsite price, so I couldn't see the point.

I don't think this comment says anything useful about Aires generally, although it does illustrate that some Aires, notably those adjacent to campsites, are sometimes less attractive than entering the campsite itself for only a small extra payment - which perhaps reflects the commercial approach being taken by the owner/operator of the two facilities, taking advantage of motorhomers' tendency to simply dive into the Aire.

Not sure it's all doom and gloom -

We stayed at Brantome last week, now with electronic barrier.

The whole area has been really nicely landscaped with good hard standing areas and plenty of grass, but has retained its identity.

Price has gone up 50 cents to 5.50 euros since last year with the 'man and van' collection system - so bugger all really.

I hope that the increased use of barriers on Aires is not indicative of how things will move forward generally - but like others have said, the type of Aires most of us normally seek out are unlikely to be affected.

On the other hand, I can see why some in areas, the local powers need to create some revenue, purely to maintain the existing services.

Let's face it - we should be grateful that the continent in general allows such freedom, and has in place the infrastructure to allow us brits to roam in a way that we could only dream of in the UK.

Barryd999 - 2015-05-18 8:19 AM

Howdy

I really hope this trend to create aires with campsite type facilities does not take off. This company Camper Park or whatever they are called are turning them into Caravan Club sites! I suspect the out of the way village small aires which are our preferred option will remain free and have plenty of space though. I would rather spend a few quid in local shops than pay some corporate company for a load of facilities I neither need or want.

Electronic barriers, hookup, individual bays etc. That sounds like a campsite to me. No thanks.

While I agree with the sentiment cannot agree the awful aires referred to are anything like CC sites. the one we stayed on at Millau took longer to book into than a CC site and for the high price offered nothing much, certainly no hook ups and a dusty car park to pitch up on. The one at Fontaine D. V. which we looked at but did not stay was much the same and to make matters worse even one van waiting to get on was half blocking the main road.

globebuster - 2015-05-18 9:30 AM

Not sure it's all doom and gloom -

We stayed at Brantome last week, now with electronic barrier.

The whole area has been really nicely landscaped with good hard standing areas and plenty of grass, but has retained its identity.

Price has gone up 50 cents to 5.50 euros since last year with the 'man and van' collection system - so bugger all really.

I hope that the increased use of barriers on Aires is not indicative of how things will move forward generally - but like others have said, the type of Aires most of us normally seek out are unlikely to be affected.

On the other hand, I can see why some in areas, the local powers need to create some revenue, purely to maintain the existing services.

Let's face it - we should be grateful that the continent in general allows such freedom, and has in place the infrastructure to allow us brits to roam in a way that we could only dream of in the UK.

Have to agree whole heartily. The point is Aires have their uses but there maybe suitable campsite alternative nearby. This has to be taken into account when choosing. The Honfluer example is a point at 11 euro for the night with an ACSI site nearby 5 star and only 5 euro more is your choice.

We stayed last week on an Aire on the N147 which was slated in the Aire book regarding noise. Site was free we stayed used local facilities and had no problems. Our target Aire down the road was nearer the main road in the middle of a village and we thought would have been much worse than our chosen position.

We have used the Aire in Millau had trouble getting in made a phone call and all sorted however the siting and ambiance was not worth the money again and feel that this method of barrier and electronic payment is not the way to go. It's your choice with suitable reference of the area a choice can be made on your requirements were not all the same. We have stayed on some suitable beautiful FREE Aires they are around and again would win out against a suitable ACSI site.

robertandjean - 2015-05-17 10:41 PM

Joe90 - 2015-05-16 8:18 PM

As a seasoned Aire user I'd certainly be looking for a Municipal at those prices, 10 Euros is taking the proverbial, plus camp sites are entirely different, and it's extremely annoying to see folk staying on an Aire putting out awnings, tables and chairs, and hogging an electric point if one is provided, and staying for days on end

They are a convenience pure and simple for folk either en-route, or for a day or two look around, that's what they are supposed to be about...........not an alternative to a camp site.

As for the camping car parks chain, one of our regular lakeside stopovers has been taken over by these rob dogs, previously free, now with a high tech pay to enter barrier, and a charge of 10 Euros, with bugger all apart from one service point which was already there ( and this newly installed pay barrier also prevents the local French families taking a car to have a picnic now unless they cough up for the privilege, I bet they are fuming, and quite right too )

I sincerely hope to see a local taking a rope to the barrier sometime soon so the French can have back what previously they had for free............. >:-(

And I can only hope the French Motorhomers boycott the camping car parks chain, together with their flashy machines and cards.

Joe, as stated in original post put this on not to cause controversy but to point out a couple of Aires that are camp site like and as such might well appeal to those yet to make use of Aires but not yet ready for Honfleur! You are correct that many Aires are much more basic than these and this type are great for a quick overnight stop. But the Aires network is changing with more Aires charging and more now being upgraded. For example when the work is completed on aire at Dieppe it will have individual pitches with hook ups but will cost 12€/night. This is in no way an isolated example with old municipal sites converting to Aires, New purpose built Aires and upgrades. In almost all cases these have individual pitches, hook ups and charge between 8 and 15 €/night. Again on these Aires it is common for tables chairs etc to be set out, although we rarely do and for some to stay long term.

Regarding camping car parks then obtain the pass card, charge up on line and entry to any of their Aires could not be simpler. We have now used 4 with no problems and three out of the four provided individual hook ups.

Yes it can happen that when hook ups are limited it might be hard to plug in but we always take a splitter and find most French vanners happy to share. Happened this time on the free aire at Chateubriant, which has only two points, one taken by French long termer (there is a 24 hour limit here!) So other French vanners and ourselves shared.

Enjoy your trip to France, we did staying on Aires and a couple of France Passion stop overs. Some Aires were basic and free, or a few euros only, others as indicated were more expensive and had individual hook ups. Some we stayed one night , most two or three, and one six nights. But is that not what it's all about choosing what suits each of us best. Over the years we must have stayed on 600 or more Aires and whilst at first we sought out ones miles from anywhere and were often on our own, we now stay mainly on the larger Aires with more facilities; funny how tastes change.

As usual you make good useful posts, however must take issue about the camping car parks. Admit I have a grudge against them but it does not alter the facts. If you do not have the card their entry system is a nightmare, even the French cannot seem to understand it. When we made the mistake of staying at Millau I was even charged twice, did not know about this until six weeks later when we returned home. I tried for some time to get a refund but gave up after a bit as they simply did what most companies seem to do now and ignored my complaints. The amount of money was to small to continue to chase them about but it still irritates so be warned.

Surely the whole point of aires for motorhomers is that nine times out of ten they are either in or on the doorstep of towns and villages. This overcomes the problems we have, unlike caravaners, with uprooting from campsites and trying to find parking locally. Some of our favourite aires are in superb settings, just minutes from village centres and on par with most campsites, just minus the facilities of the later which us lot don't need. If they are good enough we use them, if not then its campsites,

Guest Joe90
We stopped on an aire last year that has been taken over by camping car parks, but only because I was knackered and didn't want to drive any further, not a single van joined us, all those that did arrive saw the entry barrier turned around and went elsewhere, if they had have come in and with a single electric point they would probably been less than impressed finding a solitary Brit hooked up to it.

Archived