Selling a "damp" motorhome

Citizenfish

We've had our CI Carioca 656 for a number of years and now the kids have gone we want to sell it and downsize. Sadly it has had some water ingress which needs to be fixed I think it is quite a big job. We do not have the time to organise this as we both work full time and our local repairer cannot look at it until December!

So, what would be the best strategy for getting a fair price for the van. I am absolutely not prepared to sell it without telling the new owner as that would be dishonest. However, we are worried that even at an attractive price it may not sell. Is trade in a viable option or would dealers be even more ruthless.

I know we are in a tricky place but any experiences gratefully received.

Guest Peter James
Rayjsj - 2015-05-18 9:26 AM

Take it to a dealer and see what they offer you ? Without a survey of how much the repair will cost how would you know how much to sell it for ? Personally I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Sorry.

I have to concur with that. Its always worse than it looks. By the time damp has become visible externally, internal rot is usually severe. Sorry.

Guest JudgeMental

you need to do some homework or else be prepared to loose a shed load of money! why restrict yourself to one local repairer...

I would be more proactive, get some written quotes, then decide what to do. Either sell "as is" at an attractive price, with quotes for repair to support sale. Or get it fixed and then you can PX... whatever!

How can you be too busy to risk losing a bundle by almost giving it away(which to a dealer you will be) than to take it to a repairer,even if some distance away,for a quote.if its four grand to repair,after being done and cleaned,you will probably gain three times that on a sale.take some time off and avoid the lazy route.here ends the lesson :-D

I would go the PX route, dealers have workshops that can sort out the damp problem, the cost to them will be a lot less than what they would charge you.

I once had a caravan with damp and PX'd it, two weeks later it was on the forecourt with a complete new front end and fully sorted, it sold in a week.

H

I understand damp in motorhomes has been a big problem these last few years , this means most dealers now do a damp check whilst doing a valuation , so youll have to get it sorted before selling or perhaps do a deal with the dealer ,a person i know did a p/x with a dealer but paid for the damp to be sorted as well after it had been surveyed .

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2015-05-18 10:26 AM

I would be more proactive, get some written quotes,

I don't see how any reputable repairer could give a fixed written quote to properly rectify damp because he won't know how extensive the rot is until he has dismantled the bodywork beyond the point of no return.

Hi citizen,

If you are going down the part ex route I would personally insist on the dealer doing a damp test prior to agreeing anything.The last thing you want is the dealer coming back to you,and he probably will, to argue a different deal than the one you thought you may have with him. I really do support your wanting to be honest and do the right thing regarding reporting the problem,this is why I would go the part ex route myself,after inspection a dealer will know exactly what he is taking on.

Cheers and good luck

Derek

When i px my old auto trail,the dealer came out with some ball about damp. Yet was able to put up the van on their site next day for a 3rd mark up. So really like all things it all depends on the mark ups. How much is the van you are going to buy and how much the dealer wants to make on the deal.michael

Hi you don't say where the damp is or your location, I have recently had water ingress on my kontiki so got some quotes from the "experts" for which I could have gone on a world cruise! So I spent the day repairing it all depends on your DIY skills really.

Guest pelmetman
lazarus - 2015-05-19 10:25 PM

Hi you don't say where the damp is or your location, I have recently had water ingress on my kontiki so got some quotes from the "experts" for which I could have gone on a world cruise! So I spent the day repairing it all depends on your DIY skills really.

That's the secret, catch it early and the cost of the fix is usually a tube of Sikaflex :D ...........

Guest JudgeMental
Citizenfish - 2015-05-18 6:30 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think the PX route is probably our best bet and quickest way to a new van. Do dealers spend a long time going over the van? When I traded in my RX8 the guy didn't even open the door.

If you can't be bothered to get quotes just put it on ebay explaining it needs work andd see what happens.. Bet you will get a better result then from a dealer!

Archived