Compressor fridges

wenjo

Has anyone had experience with isotherm webasto draw fridge like those used in auto trails new V Line series 600 ,610 , & 620 , they do have a 100 w solar panel .we previously had a Waeco compressor in auto cruise jazz which ran the battery flat within 2 days when not on hook up

Guest peter
We have an Isotherm drawer fridge in our boat and it is brilliant. Very quiet and we have never had any battery problems in 22 years.

Guest peter
No solar panel and two 85AH batteries.. The Isotherm is very good on power as it must be well insulated, and as it has a lift up lid the cold doesn't fall out when it is opened.

In general are compressor fridges noisier than absorption (3 way) fridges? With a 90 watt solar panel and two 80 ah batteries how long would you expect to be able to stay off hookup? And, finally, does the 12v system keep the freezer part down enough to keep frozen food frozen?

Thanks, David

david lloyd - 2015-05-25 9:29 AM

In general are compressor fridges noisier than absorption (3 way) fridges? With a 90 watt solar panel and two 80 ah batteries how long would you expect to be able to stay off hookup? And, finally, does the 12v system keep the freezer part down enough to keep frozen food frozen?

Thanks, David

1. When I swapped the existing 3 way for a 12V compressor fridge it took several days before my ears tuned into the hum of the motor...it's fairly quiet and has never disturbed a nights sleep.

2. Just back from 3 months in Spain & France, campsites and aires. On the campsites we had EHU but I un-plugged the on board charger to see how my set up of 150 watt roof mounted solar panel and 2 x 110 amp LB's would cope...and they did. Ok, it was sunny most days, but we did have a spell early Feb when the sun didn't shine for about 3 days when we were on an aire, the LB's were showing approx 11.9V (on load) on the 4th morning. Fortunately the sun started behaving that day and the batts soon got up to 14+V, and most of that morning I was getting approx 8 amps current flow.

We also had the blown air heating going, and sat tv on.

3. Froze solid (from not frozen) several lumps of chicken, and also ssausages that we didn't consume that day, as well as small bottles of water which could have been used as emergency ice packs.

Our 12v compressor fridge has worked very well.

regards

Allen

• 4 weeks later...
We have a 610 and I think the fridge is great. We are at Normans Bay at the mo and it is our 5th night without hook up and no problem. We do have 2x110 amp leisure batteries though and it has been lovely and sunny down here.

david lloyd - 2015-05-25 9:29 AM In general are compressor fridges noisier than absorption (3 way) fridges? ..............Thanks, David

David, yes, in general, they are noisier. Absorption fridges are, to all intents and purposes, silent. The compressor will inevitably make noise when it is running.

However, whether that causes disturbance will depend on where the fridge is installed relative to the bed/s, which actual fridge is installed, and how well the installation and the surrounding furniture damp the noise. It will also depend on your hearing acuity at the frequency level of the fridge. Many say they can't hear them at all, while others have found them sheer penury. Too many variables to give categoric answers, but it would be wise to anticipate that the fridge will be audible when there is no other noise to mask it.

As to how long, you'll need to look closely at the fridge specification to see how much it is claimed to consume, at what ambient temperature. Also, the larger the fridge, in principle, the more it will consume.

If it has a frozen food compartment, and is of reputable make, it should be able to keep frozen food frozen. However, it may well not be designed to freeze fresh food, which should be made clear in its specification.

Archived