Plug in OBD GPS Tracker

StewartJ

For my own piece of mind I'm thinking of fitting a self monitored gps tracker, after researching various options a OBD unit appeals, simply plug in and away you go. Anyone gone this route or have any advice. I would fit an obd 2 extender cable between socket and unit to allow positioning away from dash and any electronic fields.

Your comments or whatever welcomed.

Steve928 - 2015-05-20 6:49 AM

If someone were stealing a vehicle and wanting to find and disable any tracker then wouldn't the OBD socket be the first place they'd look? Better to have a discrete hidden install I'd have thought.

True, the people who go to the trouble to steal motorhomes don't do it on a whim, they are professionals ( or at least widely experienced) who have a ready market and will spot that in seconds.

The unit which I'm looking at has a built in battery, it will be embedded behind trim etc using the extension lead mentioned. If disconnection it will notify me immediately by text and continue to broadcast its position to me combined with google mappng until either the battery runs out (weeks) or it is found and destroyed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111373956350?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Either way it gains me valuable time and warnings.

Got an old smartphone?

Download 'Where's my Droid' and use it as a Tracker. Connect the phone to a 12 volt supply and put it on 'silent'. Even if the 12 volt supply is cut off, it has a fully charged battery.

Archived