If only I knew then what I know now

sakofox

After 2 years of listening to my wife of the virtues of motorhomes, we finally went in search and purchased the the nearest compromise to our wish list (used MH) The length had to be less than 6.25 mtrs to reverse into our drive although the drive could take far more, french bed and all the trimmings etc etc.

I negotiated a £700 reduction in price on a 4 yr old autotrail. £33,000+ later. I now find that despite existing camping kit I have spent over £800 on essential bits of kit. Hook up cable, gas bottle, water carriers fresh and waste, TV, ?????

I am still waiting for the last bits to arrive before we can even think about taking it on an 'adventure'

If I had used half of the money spent on converting our old renault master horse box we would probably be in italy by now (without the pony).

Now the excitement of that first trip is at a crescendo, I fear that our first choice of site may not match that level of expectation , so I have also bought a net to catch the wife as she falls back down to earth.

Guest pelmetman

Blimey 800 quid on extras .........they must be posh water carriers :D...............

The best extra you can buy to enjoy motorhoming....... is a ferry ticket B-) ........

I think we must fall somewhere in between on the extras lark. A good example being Lafuma loungers. Not for a second am I suggesting they're poor value for money, but we just couldn't bring ourselves to spend circa £200 on 2 chairs.

We shopped around and found 2 wonderful light and comfy loungers for £90.

As comfy, last as long? Yada yada yada :D

Martyn

After spending a vast amount of money filling our motorhomes with this and must have that.it was only when we downsized this year that it clicked.most of the must haves had never been used.the lot went on ebay,and i do wonder how many more years will these items lay around in motorhomes and then be sold on ebay unused and unneeded. Michael

terry1956 - 2015-05-20 10:15 AM

After spending a vast amount of money filling our motorhomes with this and must have that.it was only when we downsized this year that it clicked.most of the must haves had never been used.the lot went on ebay,and i do wonder how many more years will these items lay around in motorhomes and then be sold on ebay unused and unneeded. Michael

You may have seen a photograph on Facebook some time ago - a yard sale in USA, with a large placard at the front - "YARD SALE - MY CRAP COULD BE YOUR CRAP"

How true. :D

My wife just as a need to fill any rooms,or motorhome storage space.at one time it was so bad that we took out one of the vans chairs to make more space. I know most of us collect stuff,but most of it is just never needed,a bit like all the bits and bobs on a swiss army knife,most never used or needed. But one just as to ask why buy water containers for a motorhome.

malc d - 2015-05-20 12:00 PM

Just remember the old saying ( which I've just made up ) :

" Having a lot of storage space in your motorhome doesn't mean you have to fill it "

;-)

Oh yes it does!!

This other well known saying also applies -

The crud expands exponentially to entirely fill the available space!

terry1956 - 2015-05-20 1:44 PM

My wife just as a need to fill any rooms,or motorhome storage space.at one time it was so bad that we took out one of the vans chairs to make more space. I know most of us collect stuff,but most of it is just never needed,a bit like all the bits and bobs on a swiss army knife,most never used or needed. But one just as to ask why buy water containers for a motorhome.

. Very handy if you don't want to 'up sticks' and drive to the M/H service point, if there is one. Mind you the barrel type aren't easy to store, Fiamma do space friendly oblong ones.Which we have, a lot easier than a watering can.

Archived