Swift motorhome safety recall.

Martyn Ward.

Apologies if this topic has been "done to death" but possibly by virtue of being one of the last to be done, I'm late for this one. Last week I had the rear dinette seat-belt safety modification made to my Swift Royale motorhome at AL-ko's Southam factory in Warwickshire. As a result of the day spent in their works, I now have a problem with the alarm system and the dinette is un-usable due to the cushions not fitting. Both these problems are directly attributable to the poor quality of work carried out by Al-ko. Both Al-ko and Swift are denying liability. Have any other Swift motorhome owners experienced problems due to this modification? If anyone wishes to get in touch, please feel free to email to warden.ward@tesco.net or landline 01929 552432. Thanks all. Martyn.

[QUOTE]michele - 2006-10-20 7:09 PM Martyn, Sorry why do the cushions not fit now ? Whats wrong with the alarm[/QUOTE] 1. The new seat base is larger than the original and sticks out further from the wall. This might be okay for some folk but sitting on a seat with a large peice of steel box-section sticking in my back isn't for me!!! 2. A cable was damged which seems to have caused problems setting the alarm. Fortunately, the main alarm still works and is protecting the 'van more than adequately. (Full marks to Van-Bitz in Taunton for their help and advice on this one!) Martyn.

Hi, My Swift Sundance was recalled last year for the same forward facing seat belt replacement. The work was carried out by Al-Ko in Hull not far from my home, on 23rd December 2005. When I picked the vehicle up I told the Al-Ko staff I was not happy because the upholstery between the seats had been removed and replaced with a black metal bar. My argument being it was a safety hazard and ugly. They told me not to worry as Swift had all this in hand to make good any such problems. (Bearing in mind Al-Ko staff said mine was the last job of the year and they were on the way to the pub!) I accepted this and waited until early January 06 to contact Swift. By the way I live a 15 minute walk from the Swift factory. Swift promised all sorts to resolve the problem, then we went away and the slide out for the bed were the replacement belts hed been fitted fell off because the retaining screws only work the first time on fibreboard. To cut a long story short I repaired the upholstery myself to cover the metal bar, Swift eventually replaced the slide out (It took 30 minutes!) but only after I threatened to write to MMM and go to Trading Standards. Do not give up, the recall was not your fault you should expect nothing less than making good any fault brought about by this recall. Would you have bought the Motorhome had you known there was a seat belt fault at the time of purchase? Regards Barbarian 8o|

Archived