Swift Escape 624 question

AWP

Done my research, now looking to buy a 2010 / 2012 Swift Escape 624 depending on condition / price.

My question is why are there no Swift Escape up for sale, thought they made more than anything else?!

Right now all I mainly see is wall to wall Autotrail's.

Track various websites / dealers and nothing available -- any idea why when so many manufactured / sold since 2009 according to Swift?

Possibly the 624 is the least popular?

Or, there are so many satisfied owners that they're reluctant to part with them....

Whatever you do check any prospective purchase very carefully for damp - especially underneath.

They are a budget van, and from what I've seen, built accordingly.

I have been tracking these 624's already, not ideal (yet) as either too new at 2014 onwards and hence over my ideal budget or the rest listed are looking like ex-hire MH, plus others have a tow bar fitted (no way!) or photo's show electrical / mechanical DIY add on's inside (not ideal etc!)

Hence waiting for the right one owner (hope) Escape 624 in good standard condition to come up around 2010 / 2012 at around £27k / £31k approx via a dealer (less via private hopefully). Will travel for ideal :-) MH and have my 25+ telcon BUYER questions all typed up and spreadsheet listed against a few (not ideal) 624's tracking to date, for comparison as things develop to my dream 624 --- sad over the top research I know :-)

dotdot - 2015-05-25 10:13 AM

We LOVE ours!

It may be a 'budget' van but we are more than happy with the finish.

We went to the NEC last year and could only see a couple we would potentially change it for in the future.

Hi dotdot,

I see you are very new to the forum, I am new to it as well compared to most of the help on here.

May I ask:-

1. When did you get your Escape 624?

2. Which dealer (or private purch?) did you use and is the support / service okay?

3. May l ask what year / asking price, and what you managed to get it for in the end?

4. What did you get in the way of warranty?

5. Have you had any minor / major problems with your 624 to date?

6. What were the other two MH at NEC you considered, as not too many 624's up for sale right now?

I am keen to get our dream Escape 624, at a fair price / condition hence my over the top research - sorry.

Keen to avoid a damp / rotten "Pup" as they say on here :-)

Cheers, Allan

AWP - 2015-05-26 10:17 AM
AliB - 2015-05-25 1:13 PMIf you are after a particular you will have to be prepared to travel the country.http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/swift/escapehttp://www.caravanclub.co.uk/CaravanClubApps/Applications/caravan-classifieds/results.aspx?adverttypeid=2&makeid=30&model=Escape%20624&numberofresults=20http://motorhomes.caravansforsale.co.uk/motorhomes.aspx?as=1&mo=624&ob=newestimgs&mkn=Swift
I have been tracking these 624's already, not ideal (yet) as either too new at 2014 onwards and hence over my ideal budget or the rest listed are looking like ex-hire MH, plus others have a tow bar fitted (no way!) or photo's show electrical / mechanical DIY add on's inside (not ideal etc!)Hence waiting for the right one owner (hope) Escape 624 in good standard condition to come up around 2010 / 2012 at around £27k / £31k approx via a dealer (less via private hopefully). Will travel for ideal :-) MH and have my 25+ telcon BUYER questions all typed up and spreadsheet listed against a few (not ideal) 624's tracking to date, for comparison as things develop to my dream 624 --- sad over the top research I know :-)

Is the below link of any use to you, seems to match your budget and year requirements?

Thai Bry - 2015-05-26 11:04 AM
AWP - 2015-05-26 10:17 AM
AliB - 2015-05-25 1:13 PMIf you are after a particular you will have to be prepared to travel the country.http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/swift/escapehttp://www.caravanclub.co.uk/CaravanClubApps/Applications/caravan-classifieds/results.aspx?adverttypeid=2&makeid=30&model=Escape%20624&numberofresults=20http://motorhomes.caravansforsale.co.uk/motorhomes.aspx?as=1&mo=624&ob=newestimgs&mkn=Swift
I have been tracking these 624's already, not ideal (yet) as either too new at 2014 onwards and hence over my ideal budget or the rest listed are looking like ex-hire MH, plus others have a tow bar fitted (no way!) or photo's show electrical / mechanical DIY add on's inside (not ideal etc!)Hence waiting for the right one owner (hope) Escape 624 in good standard condition to come up around 2010 / 2012 at around £27k / £31k approx via a dealer (less via private hopefully). Will travel for ideal :-) MH and have my 25+ telcon BUYER questions all typed up and spreadsheet listed against a few (not ideal) 624's tracking to date, for comparison as things develop to my dream 624 --- sad over the top research I know :-)

Is the below link of any use to you, seems to match your budget and year requirements?

Yes this 624 (2011) for sale at OMC is the only viable one in the mix I have found so far...... Plan to give them a call to discuss.... But also hoping more become available closer to home in my Reading-Berks area (Marquis-Newbury or Webbs-Reading for example don't have any 2010/2012's)Cheers, Allan

AWP - 2015-05-26 10:38 AM

dotdot - 2015-05-25 10:13 AM

We LOVE ours!

It may be a 'budget' van but we are more than happy with the finish.

We went to the NEC last year and could only see a couple we would potentially change it for in the future.

Hi dotdot,

I see you are very new to the forum, I am new to it as well compared to most of the help on here.

May I ask:-

1. When did you get your Escape 624?

2. Which dealer (or private purch?) did you use and is the support / service okay?

3. May l ask what year / asking price, and what you managed to get it for in the end?

4. What did you get in the way of warranty?

5. Have you had any minor / major problems with your 624 to date?

6. What were the other two MH at NEC you considered, as not too many 624's up for sale right now?

I am keen to get our dream Escape 624, at a fair price / condition hence my over the top research - sorry.

Keen to avoid a damp / rotten "Pup" as they say on here :-)

Cheers, Allan

Hiya, we have a '61 plate purchased in June 2012 ( been on here for while just never posted!), one owner, through Motorhome depot. I can't remember what the asking price was but they very reluctantly agreed to sell it to us for £26.5, we had done some research too and thought this was fair espcially since it only had 500 miles on the clock! they were paying a bank loan for it and not using it.

We haven't had any issues, the seal strips in the toilet area have always looked at bit dodgy but don't seem to be getting any worse.

As I said earlier we love our motorhome and don't care how many people think that swift is rubbish- we don't. We had the remainder of the Swift warranty.

When we went to the NEC we were looking for our next vehicle so our needs would be slightly different. We liked the Swift Esprit and the Bailey approach, but we'll be hanging on to ours for a good while.

I hope you are as lucky in your quest as we were :-D

Hiya, we have a '61 plate purchased in June 2012 ( been on here for while just never posted!), one owner, through Motorhome depot. I can't remember what the asking price was but they very reluctantly agreed to sell it to us for £26.5, we had done some research too and thought this was fair espcially since it only had 500 miles on the clock! they were paying a bank loan for it and not using it.

We haven't had any issues, the seal strips in the toilet area have always looked at bit dodgy but don't seem to be getting any worse.

As I said earlier we love our motorhome and don't care how many people think that swift is rubbish- we don't. We had the remainder of the Swift warranty.

When we went to the NEC we were looking for our next vehicle so our needs would be slightly different. We liked the Swift Esprit and the Bailey approach, but we'll be hanging on to ours for a good while.

I hope you are as lucky in your quest as we were :-D

Sounds like you got a great deal! I am going to look at one tomorrow but ticket price £29k for a 2010 Escape 624 so need to negotiate big time if possible if of interest.......

Thanks for your feedback, agree great MH just need to find right age / condition / price and start the dream!

Hi I also have a 2010 plate, bought from oak tree motors. Ignore the nay Sayers we love ours, the asking price was 28000 but we got them down to 25000, don't discount ones with changes as long as there done properly, I've had solar panel and snipe fitted to mine and you wouldn't know they weren't factory fitted. Good luck

Jonboymentalhealth - 2015-05-26 8:54 PM

Hi I also have a 2010 plate, bought from oak tree motors. Ignore the nay Sayers we love ours, the asking price was 28000 but we got them down to 25000, don't discount ones with changes as long as there done properly, I've had solar panel and snipe fitted to mine and you wouldn't know they weren't factory fitted. Good luck

Hi, can I ask a few questions:-

1. Oaktree have another 624 (2010) for sale, 8kmls and £29,995 but dropped to £29,000 on phone talking to Scott (Man Dir) yesterday. Judge market value today around £27,000 but he said he can't drop this low so how come you got a £3,000 reduction on your 624 (2010)?

2. When did you buy your 624 (2010)?

3. Your old forum notes state you had dim warning lights showing on the dash instrument panel, did you ever fix / change panel / cost to do so, or do you just live with the dim glow of warning lights etc.

4. I will look at another 624 (2010) this afternoon , problem is it has only done 600 miles in 5yrs from new!!! Original owner just traded back in for a smaller van. Dealer saying owner felt 624 too big for them to use???!!! Crazy for them to let it sit on their drive for 5yrs only 600 miles from new as I state above.

My question, do you think the engine will be okay with such LITTLE USE but dealer said it has had habitation / mechanical (oil change etc) service each year (not in 2014 last year though as selling etc)?

5. Has your 624 (2010) had the problem of rain water running off screen into engine bay? Forum states this was a major problem causing rusted in injectors / water in failed wiper motors / water getting in gearbox oil / water getting in fuze box et etc.

So a real mind field buying a MH and not a pile of junk!!! - please comment / help me if you can

Cheers, Allan

Personally, that low mileage would frighten me off -

Apart from the Fiat aspect - cambelt due soonish - regardless of miles, brakes, bushes etc. Remember a white van man could have done that 600 in the first day!

A greater concern for me would be the habitation side - fridge, heater, all the ancillaries just sitting there doing nothing from one year to the next....

The screen/scuttle issue potentially affects ALL Ducatos, as can the dim warning lights - the scuttle is an easy mod - I've done it to both my 250's, and although there was a revised drainage system on the newer variants you still need to monitor it.

I also have the dim dash issue, but have taken Nick's sage advice and left it alone....

I fear your questions, on the whole, are difficult for anyone to answer definitively. How one person can negotiate a deal, has no bearing on another's prospective purchase - too many factors involved.

Low mileage does not necessarily mean low use. We often have weekend trips to the Yorkshire Dales, Pendle or Bowland Forest. All within a 50 mile trip from home. fridge cooker heater etc well used.

Being kind of in the trade (supply reversing camera kits to many dealers) I hear that the second hand market is very good at the moment. Most dealers are fearful they will not have enough good second hand stock. Therefore I doubt there will be huge discounts on offer.

globebuster - 2015-05-27 10:33 AM

Personally, that low mileage would frighten me off -

Apart from the Fiat aspect - cambelt due soonish - regardless of miles, brakes, bushes etc. Remember a white van man could have done that 600 in the first day!

A greater concern for me would be the habitation side - fridge, heater, all the ancillaries just sitting there doing nothing from one year to the next....

The screen/scuttle issue potentially affects ALL Ducatos, as can the dim warning lights - the scuttle is an easy mod - I've done it to both my 250's, and although there was a revised drainage system on the newer variants you still need to monitor it.

I also have the dim dash issue, but have taken Nick's sage advice and left it alone....

I fear your questions, on the whole, are difficult for anyone to answer definitively. How one person can negotiate a deal, has no bearing on another's prospective purchase - too many factors involved.

The dealer is local to me and has a good long term reputation MH would go through their workshop for habitation service & mech check etc / damp check etc / test and show everything works okay etc - before I pay more than an initial deposit -- so hopefully I can manage in such a way to control RISK's and agree a fair sell price (hopefully) :-) I would have to take it to a main dealer for the cambelt change / full mech service but local two Fiat Ducato dealers felt the low 544mls over the 5 years should still be OK if oil & filter has been changed each year as I have been advised.

UPDATE ---- looked at MH today no damp and looks like new, just need to agree sell price but dealer not keen to move more than £500 so difficult to decide now --- can anyone advise a fair price to pay for a mint condition 2010 Swift Escape 624 ( £29k on the road new back in 2010 so tough to find the same money now 5yrs on - what do you think, please guide / help me decide...... :-)

Cheers Allan

Archived