Towing a small car in Spain

Tea man

does any one the law regarding towing a small car on a braked A-frame behind a motorhome in Spain. I know it is ok in England, France, Holland not too sure about Germany and Italy or Switzerland. Can any one help?

Thanks for all your help.

I tow our car all over the UK and it is perfect for us, but I wouldn't dream of taking it onto the Continent where they don't like vehicles being towed by other vehicles, if your tow limit allows, get a trailer or leave the car at home (strange folk these mainland Europeans with odd laws).

BKen1 - 2015-05-25 4:00 PM

There is no Implied law, it is a resounding NO.. I posted a link to the N332 facebook page loads of info on Spanish Driving laws and more You have trawl through it but well worth the effort.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Spanish-Traffic-Police-Site-DGT/37600/

Brian K[/quote

Good to have based in Spain Brian, we used to have a good guy Bruce who kept us in touch with whats what in Spain

We are currently in Spain ourselves, enjoying yor lovely weather.

I hope you don't get frightened off from here, buy the stirrers!

On the subject, lets hope the a framers will listen to you

PJay

Guest JudgeMental
Since when have A frames been legal in UK? Tolerated for sure, but use has never been tested in court....

JudgeMental - 2015-05-27 8:41 AM

Since when have A frames been legal in UK? Tolerated for sure, but use has never been tested in court....

. Being 'tolerated' is good enough for me, just a long as it is Safe, and it is. All the rest is 'Waffle' and technical misunderstanding .Towing a car on its own 4 wheels is far more stable than towing a similar weight on 2 wheels, (caravan or car up on a 2 wheeled trailer). That's from experience of all 3 .Lots of very odd and irrational laws eminate from the EU , that's why I'm glad we, hopefully ,will be leaving their club soon.

Rayjsj - 2015-05-27 10:07 AM

. Being 'tolerated' is good enough for me, just a long as it is Safe, and it is. All the rest is 'Waffle' and technical misunderstanding .Towing a car on its own 4 wheels is far more stable than towing a similar weight on 2 wheels, (caravan or car up on a 2 wheeled trailer). That's from experience of all 3 .Lots of very odd and irrational laws eminate from the EU , that's why I'm glad we, hopefully ,will be leaving their club soon.

The law on trailers is set in the first case by UN not EU, so will not change, any new A frame set up manufacturered since end of last yearthen has to meet trailer standards and have certs to prove this and/or go for iva test, you've still not answered a question I asked you some time back as to if your (proposed?) new A frame combo meets the new regs.

colin - 2015-05-27 12:26 PM

Rayjsj - 2015-05-27 10:07 AM

The law on trailers is set in the first case by UN not EU, so will not change, any new A frame set up manufacturered since end of last yearthen has to meet trailer standards and have certs to prove this and/or go for iva test, you've still not answered a question I asked you some time back as to if your (proposed?) new A frame combo meets the new regs.

Bought A Used (2011) Car-A-Tow A-Frame, had our car, a 2010 Toyota Yaris converted in October 2013, used the new 'Outfit' All last year, Towing up to the North of Scotland, The Lakes, then Norfolk. a couple of thousand miles, all with no incidents or worries. Unable to use a Trailer (as I had intended) because our tow limit is 1060kg. on our Autotrail. Car = 1040kg A-frame = 20kg. Sorry for not answering earlier. I have NO intention of taking our set up to the Continent.

I had this Document sent to me by the owner of Car-A-Tow, after I enquired at the end of last Year.

http://www.caratow.com/docs/dft_doc.pdf

I seldom post on this forum about A-Frame use, as it seems to stir up a lot of Animosity, why, I don't know ? this is a bit odd, as there are hundreds of A-Frames in use (in the UK), I nearly always see at least one other 'Outfit' when on differant sites, I always have a chat with other owners, friendly bunch.

regards Ray

Interesting, AFAIK it has always been the A frame manufacturers case that adding an A frame to a car converts it into a trailer. It now seems car-a-tow at least have abandoned this approach else they would have challenged the dft over that email.

I saw a post on another forum backed up by  an issued legal notice saying that A Frames are a no no in Spain now , I also saw  another post stating that Spain is asking for trailer LOG BOOKS too, I would guess that will apply to caravans too as they are classed as trailers.

vindiboy - 2015-05-29 10:20 AM

I also saw  another post stating that Spain is asking for trailer LOG BOOKS too,

Does that relate to visitors to Spain? As opposed to residents and Spanish registered vehicles/trailers where this has always been the case....

vindiboy - 2015-05-29 10:20 AM

I saw a post on another forum backed up by  an issued legal notice saying that A Frames are a no no in Spain now , I also saw  another post stating that Spain is asking for trailer LOG BOOKS too, I would guess that will apply to caravans too as they are classed as trailers.

. Well, they won't be seeing many will they? Caravan or trailer log books, since trailers and Caravans are not,and never have been issued with them, and the registration applies to towing vehicle. Vienna Convention again?

Archived