need to reseal roofvent

Don't use silicone -

Either use a PU sealant, sikaflex, purflex or the like, but you may be better with a bonding mastic tape, probably easier if you are a novice at this sort of thing.

In fact some would suggest the tape is a better option, as it enables easier removal should the need arise..but I would personally use a PU.

Plenty of options available from caravan suppliers, DIY stores, chandlers....

It is important to clean all surfaces prior to re-bedding.

Guest peter

You should be able to get on the roof. I sometimes stand on the table and get out of the large Heki rooflight.

Agree you should not use Silicone, it is rubbish. I use Evostic Seal and Bond from B&Q.

Guest pelmetman
josie gibblebucket - 2015-05-25 7:16 PM

thanks globebuster and terry1956. Do you think the fibreglass roof would take the weight of an adult? its a Compass Calypso 1996, I dont think we could reach without actually getting onto it. Presumably it cant all be done from inside?

Ours is a glassfibre roof, I'd use a small sheet of ply to kneel on to help spread the load ;-) ........

Come back Dave Newell all is forgiven! So much conflicting advice! Use the correct sealant for the job, which is the correct mastic tape, available from caravan and motorhome suppliers. Area must be clean (as has been said) but don't use Silicone or plumbers mait, Sikaflex would seal it but permanently , the mastic tape allows the roof light to be removed or re- positioned if needed. And is waterproof.

Guest pelmetman
josie gibblebucket - 2015-05-26 11:11 AM

so do we need to actually remove the whole unit in order to remove all previous sealant, then clean everything and refit? Thankyou for all your replies. If we do need to completely remove rooflight, do you dismantle from the inside first?

You could try just removing the seal from around the edge, and then run a bead of fresh sikaflex along the edge, might be worth a punt ;-) ...........

Archived