Best way to fill water tank?

michaelmorris

My wife and I have just taken delivery of our 2003 Elddis Autoquest 200. I've received conflicting advice about the best way to fill up the water tank. Some have said I should get a food grade hose pipe and fill it from a site's tape, whilst others have said they just use a watering can as moving the van is such a faff.

What do others do? If we choose to go down the watering can path, where can I get a food grade watering can? And how/where do you store it in the van?

Thanks

Depends on the circumstances. If I'm passing the tap as I arrive I fill up with one of those expanding hoses as they can be stored easily. I keep a range of connectors for the taps.

If I need to top up I use a watering can rather than move the MH. I have no idea what "food grade" means, except more expensive.

Hi Michael

I'm sure you will get conflicting answers on this - in our case we fill up with a hose, when leaving home or arriving on site , and then just top up as necessary with a water container to avoid moving the van once set up on a pitch. You just store the water container / watering can wherever you have a space.

I've never used a food grade hose, although I know they are available - we just set one hose aside and only use it for the one job. Many do go for a food grade hose - it's your choice.

When arriving on sites we find there are usually hoses already attached to the fresh water tap so ours is not often used.

Most of our drinking water is bought bottled - depends a bit on where we are.

Happy travels.

;-)

There is no right or wrong way - anyway as best you can is what most of us do!

If you stay on a site for several days without moving a watering can can be useful, but you do need space to store it too, and so can a couple of folding buckets and a funnel and they take up less space and enable two loads each trip to the tap. You can use a 12v submersible pump instead of a funnel but why complicate it!

We mostly holiday abroad and don't stay on sites so whenever we pass a tap we top up, and empty out only ever using a hose apart from the odd occasion in Norway or Morocco where we couldn't get close enough to a tap and had to use buckets.

Food grade versus garden grade is often discussed and their are conflicting views with some folks insisting on food grade hose because it allegedly does not impart any nasty tastes to the water as it flows.

Personally in 50 years I have never used a food grade hose as a normal garden hose works just fine. Just make sure you drain all the water out before storing it and allow a few seconds of flow before filling the tank to flush it out.

My suggestion is to go read what everyone else suggests and then go with whatever is easiest and least expensive and be prepared to change if it either does not work or you discover a better solution for your needs.

By the way, I have found that an older hose is usually less likely to impart unwanted flavour to the water for some reason so I carry on using my 20 year old hoses!

For info on tap connectors etc see this -

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/france-taps/38229/#M462119

Only used bottled water for drinking and boiled tap water for tea / coffee / cooking never ever used onboard tank water for drinking , only for showering and washing. Mostly used a watering can when parked up and hose when I could get near enough to the tap. The most trouble we had with water filling was when we had the useless Whale system on our AutoSleeper.

We have an aqua-roll and a length of clear pipe. We use a £10 submersible pump. Or if at home we use a hosepipe and at the last venue it was hosepipe from a tap. At the end of the day drinking water is bought in bottles. Who knows what the inside of the water tank looks like after 2+ years ?

Guest JudgeMental
If I dont want to move van near tap, I use a few 5 of 10 litre fresh water containers and a funnel? it aint rocker science....:-)

We use a food grade hose from CAK tanks, this is a roll flat hose on a plastic reel, takes up very little space and is now 15 years old. If I need to top up and not move I use a 6 litre supermarket water bottle and an old tonic water bottle cut to make a funnel. So no nasty tastes of chemicals leeching out on my delicate palate.

However if you can drink cheap plonk you probably wouldn't notice the chemical taste.

I clean the tank using Citroxx Bio (correct spelling) water sterilisation, not done it yet this year!

I agree that for drinking just plain water bottled water is always more pleasant than stored tank water but we've been using tank water for other drinks and all other uses on umpteen vans, all more than two years old and many well past the first flush of youthfulness, for nigh on 50 years without any problems whatsoever and all we ever do is flush the tank out with chlorinated tap water each spring.

It all depends on your tastes, perceptions and sensitivities but my view is to try the easiest route first and see how it goes, and adapt and complicate as necessary to suit your own needs and tastes.

We're very much in the food grade camp.

Only once did we use an ordinary garden hose pipe - never again.

Take as you find, if you can cook, drink ,clean yer gnashers etc. with hosepipe supplied water you'll save a lot of money over time.

We unfortunately couldn't.

Martyn

Some earlier info on that dreadful Whale system is here.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=whale&author=tracker&days=365&Submit=Search

I've modified mine on the Executive and it now fills at almost the normal rate of a common or garden 5/8" hose into an ordinary open filler and does not now warrant adding a second filler.

We use an ordinary hose to fill up when arriving onsite, after choosing and reserving a pitch(with our towed car). Have a fitted water filter , so tank water is fine to drink,and no bottles to carry about, if the tank needs a refill before we move on, we have a fiamma 23 litre (oblong, not round) fresh water container, which stores easily , with a submersible 12v pump and filler pipe. So no need to move the van to the service point, if we don't want to. Had a Truma fresh water filler on previous van, just connected an ordinary hose with the correct Truma attachment on the end, was careful not to use full mains pressure though, never caused a problem.

Colin Leake - 2015-05-29 7:07 PM

MK1 watering can (red) for us. Keep drinking water in two mk11 4 pint plastic milk bottles filled up,fro tap as required.

Auto Sleeper still,fit the useles Whale system but no in addition fit,a conventional water filling point.

. I believe Autosleeper now give you choice when placing your order for a new van, Whale system or standard filler.? Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Hi

First, water containers. In supermarkets you can buy 5 litres of drinking water. We drink the water then use these containers to fill our tank. We also fill then for drinking purposes. I do sometimes use a hose but it's a faff and I usually can't be bothered. When the handle brakes I buy another. They cost very little.

Secondly, someone mentioned that many sites have a hose attached. I never use these. You don't know where they have been. I have seen people use them to wash out toilets. They are not supposed to but when did that ever stop people. If a hose is attached I take it off and use water from the tap. If it will not come off I don't use the tap.

Peter

Rayjsj - 2015-05-29 7:57 PM

Colin Leake - 2015-05-29 7:07 PM

MK1 watering can (red) for us. Keep drinking water in two mk11 4 pint plastic milk bottles filled up,fro tap as required.

Auto Sleeper still,fit the useles Whale system but no in addition fit,a conventional water filling point.

. I believe Autosleeper now give you choice when placing your order for a new van, Whale system or standard filler.? Can anyone confirm if this is true?

They used to do this but now you simply get both systems as standard. They started doing this in October i believe which is when we ordered ours.

"Only once" might be a clue. New plastic products have all sorts of chemical release agents etc on them.

I would always give a hose a very thorough flush through before using it to fill my van.

michaelmorris - 2015-05-29 4:50 PM

My wife and I have just taken delivery of our 2003 Elddis Autoquest 200. I've received conflicting advice about the best way to fill up the water tank. Some have said I should get a food grade hose pipe and fill it from a site's tape, whilst others have said they just use a watering can as moving the van is such a faff.

What do others do? If we choose to go down the watering can path, where can I get a food grade watering can? And how/where do you store it in the van?

Thanks

Welcome.

We thought Motorhomers filled their water tanks before leaving home, so bought a food grade hose on a reel.

It's never been used, as we realize it makes sense to save weight and put water in on site. So I usually put in a small amount before leaving home with our old Aqua roll and submersible pump plugged into an exterior 12v socket on the m/home. Then when on site, which is usually a weekend Dog show at a sports venue, wild camping, put 40ltrs in when required.

The aqua roll is kept in the shower tray (left outside when on site) and the hose and pump hung over the rail also in the shower area.

All our fresh water equipment is sterilized once a year and for drinking it goes through a jug type filter unit.

But everyone is different, our friends use the site water and take bottled water from home for drinking for example.

Enjoy your new M/home.

B-)

Glynn - 2015-05-31 4:48 PM

"Only once" might be a clue. New plastic products have all sorts of chemical release agents etc on them.

I would always give a hose a very thorough flush through before using it to fill my van.

Hi Glynn, I'm guessing it is me your inverted commas refer to.

Perhaps I should clarify, the hosepipe was used, not ancient but certainly not new and untried. That pipe imparted a tang totally out of sync with our pallets.

As I've posted many times before, good luck to anyone who's unaffected by it.

Martyn

lancepar - 2015-06-01 11:57 AM

michaelmorris - 2015-05-29 4:50 PM

Thanks

Welcome.

We thought Motorhomers filled their water tanks before leaving home, so bought a food grade hose on a reel.

It's never been used, as we realize it makes sense to save weight and put water in on site. So I usually put in a small amount before leaving home with our old Aqua roll and submersible pump plugged into an exterior 12v socket on the m/home. Then when on site, which is usually a weekend Dog show at a sports venue, wild camping, put 40ltrs in when required.

The aqua roll is kept in the shower tray (left outside when on site) and the hose and pump hung over the rail also in the shower area.

All our fresh water equipment is sterilized once a year and for drinking it goes through a jug type filter unit.

But everyone is different, our friends use the site water and take bottled water from home for drinking for example.

Enjoy your new M/home.

B-)

Shower trays are ment to be used for standing plastic crates full of food in for long trips not Aqua rolls in the same way that ovens are designed for storing bread and cake in!

We've learnt that when there's a dog show on near a site its best not to ask the owners how they got on unless they have a certificate on display!

I have often thought of getting a watering can to fill the on board tank but am put off by its somewhat bulky size for storage. I know it could go in the shower compartment, but then that is already full of more essential stuff. I have stuck with 2 x 10 litre water containers for years which I strap to the bike rake. When filling the tank I use a 12v submersible pump powered from the cab auxillary power socket.

For drinking water we fill up a filter bottle.

John

Their are two of us and our little van has an 85 ltr fresh water tank that feeds everything. I put approx 20ltrs in when we leave home and then when onsite use a 40ltr Aqua roll to top up the system and that lasted for three days at the last outing.

Surely you must have to go to a tap a lot if you only use a 10ltr watering can when you are staying for a week? I am new to this so I may have missed something and be asking a stupid question.

No it is not a stupid question Duncan. It does mean several trips to the tap with a single 10 ltr watering can to get a decent amount of water in the tank. Its all a question of what people regard as convenience. With my 2 x 10ltr containers I make one more trip than you to get 40ltrs. But I would find a bulky aquaroll a bit inconvenient when travelling. (I have my two containers atteched to the bike rack).

John

sakofox - 2015-06-01 10:23 PM

Their are two of us and our little van has an 85 ltr fresh water tank that feeds everything. I put approx 20ltrs in when we leave home and then when onsite use a 40ltr Aqua roll to top up the system and that lasted for three days at the last outing.

Surely you must have to go to a tap a lot if you only use a 10ltr watering can when you are staying for a week? I am new to this so I may have missed something and be asking a stupid question.

We put in two cans a day which is more than enough for us given that we use the site facilities for showers etc. we also try and park not too far from a tap. Takes very little time at all and is a lot easier than faffing about with a bulky Aqua roll and a plug in electric pump. I rather suspect it's quicker as well. We do tend to keep the tank at least half full so we don't have to fill it if it's raining.

Having said that each to his own I say even if the watering can method is best!

Archived