Drive Away Awnings

dick GCT

We have been considering purchasing a drive away awning , yet to decide on going for one with lightweight poles or an air frame job. The reason for this query is we have been looking at brochures from Outdoor Revolution and Vango , all different awnings, varying prices/dimensions etc. Can anybody give me an opinion on these two brands? Anyone purchased an awning from either? What experiences with either? Thoughts (good or bad) appreciated.

We've just bought a Vango Attar 380 air beam drive away. We've not been away for our first holiday yet, but have had a practice putting it up at home - it was pretty quick and easy to put up - the hand pump is quite hard work but very effective - and if you ignore the unpacking and packing away time, vango's estimates of quick time to put up are probably right.

It's pretty spacious inside and allows for two inner tents with a corridor in between if you needed to create two extra bedroom spaces like we did, whilst still giving access to our motorhome without having to go into the bedroom area of the awning.

We're using it for the first time in about 3 weeks so if you've not got many more opinions on here by then feel free to message means I'll let you know how we got on with it.

Sorry can't be more help for now.

Ian

How are you going to attach the awning and get the tension right after you have driven away and come back again? There is a device consisting of 3 guttering rails figure of eight and a double edged fabric to slide into the rail. You will still have to align up your van spot on to the original position. If you have a wind out canopy you might be able to attach fairly easy by tensioning the canopy.

Thank you for the feedback.

Ian-- would be interested to know how you get on after your trip away with you new awning!

Len/ Billggski-- You have both made some very relevant points. Reservations, but ones which are noted and give food for thought.

Once again thank you for taking the time to reply.

We have a Vango Kela air awning. It is ok, but, one point to check, is if your habitation door will open properly under the connection "tunnel" Ours does open, but it catches the roof of the tunnel.

We have the tall version of the awning and it is quick and easy to erect.

Not tried driving away from it yet, but, I think it will be very difficult to re park in exactly the same position and this will affect how the awning performs in windy conditions.

We bought a movelite XL drive away awning, attach two poles then the 3mtr x 3mtr tent is connected to awning and pegged . Our awning is 290cm high so we needed the bigger options, but got ours from eBay for less than £180.

Pleased with it and I am sure I will use it more than once

Archived