Fiat Ducato scuttle issue

Don636

Thanks for the additional info Kev - photos not required.

I had noticed water on top of the battery box well before I had the scuttle problem but thought this was getting in when I opened the bonnet but now realise that there is a very large gap at the sides of the bonnet and water can just pour in - unbelievably poor design.

Would you believe that this problem has afflicted all three generations of the Ducato.

The fact that there are around 13 years between major redesigns means the senior design and development staff have always retired by the time work starts on the next and the old complaints are forgotten.

A reminder by way of nice bit of graffiti on the design office wall is whats needed.

Have aerosol will travel.

"OTOH, motorhomes may stand for weeks, possibly months, and the water accumulates, penetrates to a far greater extent, an"

Brian

Why does an educated person like yourself use abbreviations? If its to save spelling it out then surely its not needed.

Will

Will85 - 2015-06-21 4:44 PM

"OTOH, motorhomes may stand for weeks, possibly months, and the water accumulates, penetrates to a far greater extent, an"

Brian

Why does an educated person like yourself use abbreviations? If its to save spelling it out then surely its not needed.

Will

OTOH, we all know what he's trying to say, and IMHO it saves typing. (lol)

Unfortunately I don't.

Now back to scuttles. I assume any water dries out if it rains during a run. I would have thought although its a nuisance why not lay a covering over the parts that get wet, or is it not possible to do that.

In my case the problem is not related to water sitting in the scuttle for long periods. The water can sit there for as long as it likes as far as I can see. Most of it goes down the drain holes so not much left to evaporate.

The problem is simply water running down the back of the rubber seal into the engine compartment. I had another look today and can see a narrow strip of double sided tape on the back of the plastic scuttle against the windscreen. On my new scuttle there is a short section where water is able to get behind the rubber seal and past the adhesive strip. I am not sure if this is down to poor installation or just that the design is so poor it will never work. If this is the case the approach taken by others such as Kev seems to be the answer.

I also noticed today that on the inner bulkhead on the offside there is a layer of insulation which is soaking and the idea of sodden insulation sitting next to a steel bulkhead does not fill with with confidence about long term durability.

To be honest I don't actually know if water or damp under the bonnet area is a serious issue or not. The outside of the van gets wet all the time so what is the difference? The vulnerable electrics and top of the engine seem to be protected by covers so perhaps I am worrying over nothing.

Overall I think I would be happy if thought that water was not constantly pouring into the engine compartment so the suggested mods seems to be the way to go as I doubt Fiat can do anything about this.

Archived