dogs

peter27

hallii - 2015-06-01 12:28 PM

A 22 kg dog can fly forward at .68 Tonne of force in a sudden stop from 35mph. Not nice in the back of your neck! Best fit some sort of restraint.

H

That would be a 3000g deceleration, which would need the vehicle to stop in aprox 1/8 in, would need to be some damn good brakes. :D

Simple question simple answer is yes. How you allow your dog to travel is entirely up to you there are many differing opinions on this subject so don't allow it to confuse you. I've had 2 Basset hounds travelling loose in my motorhome when I had it with no problems. How many motorhomes have you seen in accidents?. Good luck and enjoy yourself and most dogs love travelling. John B-)

Ours travels in a proper dog harness clipped to a strap which passes round one of the bed legs. Simple and safe. We have no intention of having an accident but she's a young dog and she would be all over the place if not restrained causing considerable distraction when driving. On motorways she just sleeps. On more interesting roads she has enough movement to allow her to look out of a window. Just wish she'd keep her nose of the window!

teflon2 - 2015-06-01 6:14 PM

Simple question simple answer is yes. How you allow your dog to travel is entirely up to you there are many differing opinions on this subject so don't allow it to confuse you. I've had 2 Basset hounds travelling loose in my motorhome when I had it with no problems. How many motorhomes have you seen in accidents?. Good luck and enjoy yourself and most dogs love travelling. John B-)

For the combined 28 year lifespan of two border collies ours too both traveled untethered with never an issue or problem.

However as soon as either of 'em sniffed the sea they were up and looking to get out on the beach and that's where training and dog control took over to keep them in their place without restraint.

That said I can see the sense in tethering but I doubt we would change how we did it if/when we get another border collie.

Health and safety should be viewed with perspective not paranoia!

Like most dogs, ours loves camping and senses the signs when we start preparing to load up!

We couldn't get him to setting with a harness so he lies very happily in his bed on the floor between the seats and under the table in our dinette so relatively safe there.

Our Border Collie has travelled untethered, usually on a spare seat behind us or flat out on the floor, on our frequent travels and he appears to be happy enough.

The only time he comes forward is to nudge us when he's getting ready to unload his bladder or bowels and we then know it's time to have a break and a rest.

The Customs Officer who once climbed aboard to check for any 'illegals' is probably still trying to get his underwear clean as the smell he left behind seemed to indicate his personal problem when the dog realised someone unfamiliar was encroaching on his personal space and took action to see off the intruder.

colin - 2015-06-01 5:44 PM

A 22 kg dog can fly forward at .68 Tonne of force in a sudden stop from 35mph. Not nice in the back of your neck! Best fit some sort of restraint.

H

That would be a 3000g deceleration, which would need the vehicle to stop in aprox 1/8 in, would need to be some damn good brakes. :D

Or a concrete wall?

H

hallii - 2015-06-01 8:01 PM

H

Or a concrete wall?

H

If the dog was strapped to the front bumper then yes, anything inside the van will be less due to crumple zone, by how much I don't know as I've never had to calculate for an unrestrained mas. (?)

colin - 2015-06-03 12:22 PM

hallii - 2015-06-01 8:01 PM

H

Or a concrete wall?

H

If the dog was strapped to the front bumper then yes, anything inside the van will be less due to crumple zone, by how much I don't know as I've never had to calculate for an unrestrained mas. (?)

That's why I took the simple approach, it gets complicated, the rate of deceleration change due to any crumple zone will not be constant and will vary depending on many factors. I suppose a crash test with a real live dog is the only way to go, any volunteers? :-o

H

Guest pelmetman
Rayjsj - 2015-06-04 7:08 PM

I don't think that the OP was asking about the terminal velocity of Dogs in a Motorhome! He was asking for advice, there are often far more dangerous articles liable to fly about in the event of a crash.

Maybe the question should be, what will go through the windscreen first, in the event of a head on collision at speed? 8-) ............

My monies on the cooker ;-) .......

Me too, closely followed by the 160 litre fridge. or 'Tech Tower' on a European Van.

Did you see the picture of the Autotrail in a 'Head On' recently ? the guy had a heart attack and crossed into the oncoming lane ? he was dead before the impact evidently, his wife escaped quite lightly i believe.

But (the point) there on the ground in front of the wreckage was.....the cooker and the fridge. ! they should have seatbelts ? Ray

I had cause to hit the brakes in our previous Mh (someone stepped out in front of the car in front) and although only travelling 35-40ish, a comparatively lightweight holdall, that I had tucked around the corner of the rear bed, came careering down the van and slammed into the back corner of my steel seat base/box...

Now I'm not pretending that compares to a head on collision but if it had been a much loved family pet, although it wouldn't have gone through the windscreen, there's little doubt that it would've been injured...

My fridge and cooker stayed in situ and were unharmed by the incident...

pelmetman - 2015-06-04 7:50 PM

Maybe the question should be, what will go through the windscreen first, in the event of a head on collision at speed? 8-) ............

I Hope Sue wears her seatbelt :-D

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2015-06-05 10:59 PM

pelmetman - 2015-06-04 7:50 PM

I Hope Sue wears her seatbelt :-D

Dave

Of course ;-) .......I'm the chef..... I'd be lost without my dishwasher 8-) ........

yoko8pups - 2015-06-05 10:43 PM

So are dogs legal in the garage where other people bit bicycles an motor bikes?

. There are NO laws (in the UK) forbidding where a Dog can travel within a Motorhome, apart from the drivers seat. So, yes the garage would be fine, although mine would complain about being shut 'away from any food action', As has been said they would be safest with a harness attached to a solid structure in the van, to stop them 'flying' when braking hard or in a crash.

Archived