Radio interference and reversing camera.

gocro

I recently fitted a wired reverse camera to my Stardream, since when, the radio signal is very weak , only receiving two or three stations. The camera harness is wired to a ignition on power source in the fuse box and has a good earth. There was a bit of 'noise' on the 6" led screen but this has been mostly eliminated by ferrite rings on the power lead , I tried the same on the radio power lead with no improvement. I then relocated the internal aerial from the middle of the screen, near to the monitor, to the far edge of the screen, with no improvement. I have also bought and fitted a new powered aerial, no improvement.

From my researches it seems that it is the monitor itself which causes the interference with the radio receiver, any ideas that I haven't tried would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi

I had this problem as well. It was the original monitor which was causing the problem and particularly with DAB digital stations. The backlight on older monitors has a high voltage inverter unit which was probably the culprit.

I removed the monitor and made an adapter to feed the camera input into my Garmin navigator. Not only have I now saved space but cured the problem too!!!! Although the Garmin is advertised as supporting a WiFi camera, there is a 3.5mm jack input as well.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-MA/mena/ontheroad/rv/rv-760lmt/prod135455.html

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply, it's quite here since the moderators all but cleaned out the VERY vocal minority, who posted most. I bought the system from Road Pro direct via EBay, I suspect these were new products bought in that failed their quality assessment so were sold on cheaply (which is what I paid).

Next I'll try shielding the monitor.

Hi

Yes I think that's the way to go. I also tried ferrite rings on the cables but it did not help much. My original monitor was already fitted when I brought my Chausson Flash 02 second hand and it looks quite cheap and nasty. The connectors are also old fashioned and non standard. There was probably an 'earth loop' which wouldn't help, although I have not checked if the camera was earthed at the back of the vehicle. The best situation is to let the camera 'float' electrically and bring the earth only back to the monitor. Professional musicians are used to this problem in large stage audio systems.

Best of luck

Archived