adhesive 'bubbling out' of seams

manxli

Hi

We've had our 2010 Chausson Flash 02 for nearly 12 months now and very happy + 20,000km

Shortly after we got the motorhome last year, I noticed 'adhesive or sealant' was coming out of some seams, which looked a bit unsightly. After a minor bodywork scrape, I asked the body repair workshop to clean it off. Looked much better.

With the recent sunshine, some more is escaping from various seams!!! I was considering a cover, but as we use the motorhome A LOT, it would be an inconvenience.

Has anyone else this problem. Any tips?

Alan

Switzerland

I suspect this is merely due to the use of a non-setting sealant when the van was originally built. I'm assuming the sealant is exuding from beneath the main panel joint cover-strips (side-wall to rear-wall panel joints, and wall to roof joints)?

However, it seems a little odd that the sealant has waited 5 years to begin exuding. I just wonder, therefore, if the joint cover strips may have been re-bedded before you got the van, and why that might have been done. If you bought from a Chausson dealer, why not take it back and ask them if this is normal after 5 years, and while there try looking at other vans of similar age (assuming they have some) to see if they show similar characteristics.

If the cover strips have been removed and re-bedded, it may have been a fastidious previous owner, or it may have been necessary because of minor damage to a cover strip (not unusual, particularly passenger's side rear corner! :-)), or because damp had been detected during a moisture ingress check. Have you had the van checked for damp? Might be a good idea, if not.

Had a similar 'problem' with our RT600 when we bought it..........yes it looks a little unsightly but we looked on it as a bonus meaning it's better they used too much rather than not enough sealant.  As for a cover opinions are divided.  For us I wouldn't want the faffing around putting it on/off additionally they 'can' be the source of chaffing/rubbing through paintwork so not for us.

Hi

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear, that the motto 'too much' rather than 'too little' is perhaps an advantage. My Chausson was a private sale from a legacy and it had stood unused for 3 years before I bought it. Although then 4 years old, it only had 8000km on the clock, so I bought it immediately and have otherwise no cause to complain. Went through the stringent Swiss MOT without any probs at all.

I'm not sure if any 'tarting up' work was done prior to sale. Inside it is as dry as a bone, so that's good at least. As I'm retiring this summer, we're going to "run it into the ground" so to speak. Even in winter, we'll be heading south of Switzerland and otherwise north into the cool sea breezes when it's too hot!

Best regards

Alan (Brit living in Switzerland)

Archived