Speed cameras in Europe

Keith Ostler

I am shortly touring Belgium, France, Spain and Portugal in my motorcaravan. I have read of people having problems with foreign police re. Radar detectors being illegal in some countries, the police confisgate the detector. I intend using a GPS Satnav system which has speed camera alerts and positions marked on the maps, there is no detector system as such so is this deemed legal to use? All advice/experiences welcomed. Regards Keith Ostler

Hi Keith, My advice, for what it is worth, would be to turn off the speed camera POI's and keep inside the speed limits much easier on the stress levels and you can't be breaking any speed camera detector laws if you aren't using them. Unable to locate it but I have read a post somewhere where a portable sat nav system was confiscated because it showed speed camera's, but it was called into doubt by others suggesting that the French police would not be literate enough to recognise there was speed camera locations on the satnav but its your decision as always, personally I don't think it is worth the hassle. Bas

Keith write to the French Embassy and ask them for a definitive position on the matter with a copy in French "pour les Gendarmes". I have read something recently initial position was bad bur sorted out satisfactorily, but am too scatterbrained to remember where and when. Docted

[QUOTE]John NG5 - 2006-10-29 10:16 AM Hi all, Just as a matter of interest, what are the speed limits in France at this time? I know there are lower limits on motorways, sorry, autoroutes, when wet. John 8-)[/QUOTE] John, Here is a "GUIDE" http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/ to the speed limits in Europe :-D :-D Don

Archived