Travel cash.

John NG5

Hi all, I have a niece who lives in Switzerland and and intend visiting her in 2007. Perhaps I can get an answer to the following :- 1. Is there a good site anywhere near Gstaad and 2. Do I need to take Swiss Francs or will Euro be acceptable as Switzerland is not a member of the EC ? 3. Does anyone know when the snows would clear in Spring ? John 8-)

Hello In the absence of any other replies the only info I can offer is that if you take a Nationwide flex account card you can get your cash via the ATM when in Switzerland or use it to pay for goods. You will get a much better exchange rate than you will in the UK. Also have a Nationwide Visa card. For both cards there are no commission charges at all. Motorhomer

John, There is a site in Gstaad http://tinyurl.com/yzcdtn it is many years since we were in the area. :-D but Swiss sites that are open all year are usually of a high standard. I would advise you to take Swiss Francs although at the border you can pay for your vignette by SF/Euro/or the plastic. In the high season if you are approaching Basle on the A5 (E35) Karlsruhe - Basle Autobahn I would suggest you to buy your vignette at Bad Bellingen service area which is in between junctions 66 and 67. They can also be purchased at the Swiss travel Centre in London. The border posts can get very busy in the high season and at weekends during the skiing season. If your motorhome is over 3500kg MAM/GVW you will have to stop at the border and buy a pass. Safe Travelling Don

you only get charged by Nationwide if you use the credit card for cash withdrawal, and I think that is a standard rule for credit cards rather than Nationwide - it applies in the uk as well. Use the Nationwide DEBIT card, you get excellent exhange rate and no commission. B-)

We opened a Nationwide Flexaccount a couple of years ago, specially for this purpose. We transfer our holiday finds to it just before we go, and use the Debit card while we're away. No commission or fees, and a good rate. The Credit Card came with it automatically, and attracts a cash withdrawal fee as all Cr Cards do (whether in UK or abroad), but no exchange commission. I now use the Credit Card as my default one in the UK, as the version I've got makes a donation to Comic Relief every time it's used!

[QUOTE]RonB - 2006-10-26 11:24 AM Just to clarify previous postings. You WILL pay charges on cash withdraws on Nationwide Visa Cards abroad but not on bills, purchases. etc. If not I need to have strong words with Nationwide.[/QUOTE] Nationwide flex account is the card to use for free commission cash withdrawels. Motorhomer

Archived