Removal of interior cab light in x290

Guest machra

Guest machra
Can anyone please advise me how to remove the interior light in the x290. The manual says you apply pressure from the right hand side but it doesn't matter how much pressure I seem to apply the light remains in situ. I want to get into the roof lining to see if I can fix an anchor point somewhere between the light and the windscreen for a rear view camera monitor. Thus fixing the monitor in about the same place as the rear view mirror rearshould be.

I think you'll find that there’s an ‘indent’ (or gap) on the right-hand side of the light at the position shown by the arrow in the handbook’s diagram. If that’s so, use the point of a screwdriver to (carefully!) lever the light’s outer cover upwards at the arrowed position.

Generalised advice (for Grande Punto not Ducato) here

http://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto/327687-interior-light-removal.html

Guest machra
Thanks for the advice. I have had another go this afternoon to no avail. Can I ask if I am looking at removing the clear plastic piece only here or the clear plastic together with the cream plastic surround.

I believe it’s just the translucent plastic piece you need to remove, not that piece plus the plastic surround that is beneath it.

Having inspected the light in my own Ducato X290-based Rapido motorhome I think the advice in the X290 handbook may be wrong.

My light resembles that shown in the handbooks for X250 models. In the light’s upper edge there are two small ’slots’ in the plastic surround (one towards each end of the upper edge) where it meets the translucent plastic piece. In the X250 handbook the drawing of the light carries two arrows that point towards the two ‘slots’ and advises that one should "work in the points shown by the arrows”.

I’ve experimented (tentatively) by inserting the end of a flat-bladed screwdriver in one of the slots and gently levering/pushing the translucent plastic piece away from the surround and it looks like this method would successfully separate the two components. But, as there seems to be more than a fair chance that using this technique would cause cosmetic damage to the surround, I’m not prepared to explore further.

Assuming that your light is like mine, to minimise the likelihood of damage occurring, you might be wise to get a helper who can lever at one slot position while you lever at the other slot position. Also select the size of the screwdriver with care.

Archived