Dodgy fridge

malc d

Whilst wandering around down here in France our fridge has stopped working on electrics - but is still working on gas.

The switches still light up, so it seems the supply to the fridge/ fuses are o.k. - ( I changed the 12 volt one anyway to be sure ).

Any ideas what could be the problem ?

Know nothing about fridges myself - there doesn't seem to be much way of checking it !

Merci beaucoup.

;-)

p.s. It's a 13 year old Electrolux.

Guest pelmetman

When you say electrics I assume you mean both 12 volt and 240?.........which seems unusual to me as I thought they were separate elements :-S .......

One tip though that may help, stuff the freezer with a bag of peas when on gas it'll freeze, and act as a cool block when your traveling, I used mince when ours stopped working on gas :D ........

Try removing the top fridge vent (there are two plastic catches you have to slide). Then whilst on electric 110/220 does the element or heat sink get warm? Careful sometimes it gets very hot. If this is the case then the fridge is working but the heat extracted is not able to escape quick enough.

Some motor homers have fitted fans to shift the heat and make the fridge more efficient. Thetford sell a fan for fitting in this area.

Hope that helps

It is possible that after 13 years the element has gone. As mentioned if the heat exchanger at the back does not get warm/hot when on 230 volts, then I am afraid you need a new element. These are cheap to buy but a real pain to fit as the fridge has to come out of its housing. This means breaking the gas supply line and therefore needs testing on replacement.

I know it sounds expensive but after 13 years the whole fridge may have done its time, and just buying a new one would possibly b the best option for the long term. Get a dealer or engineer to fit one and have the benefits of an upgrade.

Thanks for the assistance fellas.

I will have a fiddle with it, but I reckon Dave could be right and a new fridge is required.

If I have any luck I'll let you know but I am not very near wifi hotspot - only get here between showers or storms today.

Thanks again

;-)

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2015-06-14 11:45 AM

If the fridge is buggered, then on a 13yr old van I'd be looking for a previously enjoyed fridge before a new one, they are hellishly expensive. I'd sooner put the £1k towards a newer van.

Having recently spent nearly 1k on a new fridge 8-) ...........I disagree :D ..........

Why take the risk of possibly buying someone else's problem van, if your current van does everything you want it to? :-S ............You'll lose a lot more than the price of a new fridge in the process ;-).........

I do not know the size of the fridge in question but guess at 13 years it i one of the ssmaller versions without separate freezer etc. I offer the Thetford N80 as a suggestion as it is very common in older vans and the price is more reasonable than £1k. I have one of these fridges and can say that it works well and being 'basic' has less to go wrong electronicallywise.

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/cooling/product_38057/thetford_n80_fridge_piezo_ignition.aspx

Just a thought

Archived