Anyone tried these cheap reversing cameras?

michaelmorris

We're looking at getting a reversing camera for our motorhome, but the cost is putting us off at the moment. However, I've just found these on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151140595331?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

At just £40, they seem insanely cheap compared to the usual ones I've seen that retail at around £90- £160. Now I realise that they are not going to produce as good a quality picture as the more expensive models, but has anyone tried them? Are they good enough?

Thanks

i bought what appears to be the same, except mine came with two cameras and I chose the white cameras. It was from ebay, from the seller savezone 2011 and titled 2 x White 18 IR CCD Reversing Camera + 7" LCD Monitor 12V Car Rear View Kit UK. Cost about £59.

Fitted to my Pilote galaxy 25. One as a reversing camera pointing down to the bumper and the other pointing straight back to see behind. It came with a remote control or you can switch between cameras with a button on the monitor. Really does work well. Only had them fitted for a month but so far, so good.

I tried a wireless camera first, but way too much interference. Go wired if you can.

Hi

It looks identical to the one fitted to my Chausson when I bought it 2nd hand. Worked well enough but the monitor played havoc with my radio. I ended up removing it and patching the camera into my Garmin Navi.

That said the camera is probably worth the £40.

Regards

Alan

I have two, the first cost £13.95 and the second cost £14.50! I would not describe the picture I get as good but it is certainly adequate. I reasoned that if they were no good I would simply chuck them away.

My problem is that they, like all such cameras I think, require about 300mA for the LED's to work at night. My wiring is quite thin and I think that the voltage drop is too much for the cameras to work properly at night. I keep meaning to run a heavier cable to test this theory but haven't got around to it.

I should add that my cameras are routed via a two way switch to a 7" double DIN display which is part of the audio system.

I have had the exact same kit for 3 yrs the monitor is great and has all the setting needed for a good picture ,contrast, brightness, reverse image settings etc.The cameras paint finish leaves a bit to desire starts to fade after a while ,so Im thinking of respraying mine with a quality paint easy job .The phono connectors on my van are outside so I used the rubber stretch type insulation tape to protect them from the weather works fine.

I have wired it straight into the rear side lights that way I can see behind when I want (just flick the side lights on ) as opposed to wiring it into the reverse lights.

As mention dont get the wireless kit you always get interference in the picture.

Has to be VFM (Value for Money)

Brian K

I have just bought a £10 camera and a wireless kit so I can use it on my phone, I dont want to have a dash board and windscreen full of gadgets - everything will be on my mobile (incl sat nav etc).

I'll post my thoughts on them once received and tried out.

Am liking Stalwarts camera install, am dreading cutting holes in the bodywork.

We've used cheap kits for a good few years and they work well but prefer a monitor that fastens over the original rear view mirror so it's in the 'usual' place and not cluttering up the dash or liable to be damaged/knocked (we have 3 dogs!).

Guest Peter James
zombies - 2015-06-15 2:12 PM

Am liking Stalwarts camera install, am dreading cutting holes in the bodywork.

(lol) I'm Peter James, I think 'Stalwart' appears automatically under your name when you have made a certain number of posts. Its a common mistake.

I had to make the brackets at each end, but its just 2 thin strips of aluminium with holes drilled 2" apart (and rubbed over with a black maker pen) By bending them slightly in the vice before fitting, the camera looks straight down at the bumper. So you can only see a few feet behind. But you can see very accurately how close the bumper is to any obstacle. So its great for reverse parking into a confined space.

I drilled one small hole for the cable But if you had to avoid any drilling I guess you could feed the cable in through the light fitting.

Had to use longer screws to accommodate the brackets and (widely available standard tap) rubber washers underneath to seal out the water and cushion the lens. But the screws are standard 6mm and also widely available. :-D

There are many of these types of cheap products on the market place. The Chinese factories buy the plastic cases, LCD panel and circuit boards and then assemble them into a monitor. The better factories will design and build their own circuit boards.

Do not be fooled into thinking that because you recognise the monitor you have the same product. It could literally come from any one of hundreds of factories.

The specification of a low quality CMOS image sensor and low resolution monitor many be all that you require.

I would be more concerned with the details of the supplying company. Although they claim to ship from the UK I can find no indication of their address or VAT registration number. I would not be surprised if the product is shipped from China. It will arrive with a note saying they were out of stock in the UK so they shipped directly from China.

I ordered an OBD2 code reader that was supposedly UK stock but it came from China within 7 days. No VAT receipt available.

Read some of the finer details of the supplying company like the warranty,

“All of the sale is 3 months free warranty,If you have received a faulty item pls let us known,we will try our best to help you exchange a new one.”

They don’t seem to have much confidence in their own product let alone giving a commitment to replace it.

If the item is sent direct from China you could, in theory, be liable for import duty and VAT. In practice you are unlikely to be charged. Customs & Excise are unable to keep up with the volume of goods that arrive from China so simply pass them through. However, if you do get caught in a random check you will have to pay a lot more than the 14% import duty and 20% VAT as you will have to pay the fees of a clearing agent to settle the import charges to HMRC.

You can read someone else’s view here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Buying-from-China-Do-You-Pay-UK-Import-Tax-VAT-/10000000017669493/g.html

It is easy to see why the items are insanely cheap when, if as I suspect, they are shipped direct from China.

Perhaps someone could advise if this would be classed as smuggling and the part played by the “innocent” UK recipient.

Wasn't Me - 2015-06-16 3:14 PM

Hey Zombies

Can you tell me what type you have I have been looking for one to use with my phone, for the same reasons.

Thanks in advance.

I bought one off eBay (!) Came today and fitted it, quite pleased with the install.

one slight issue is the image displayed is mirrored, no manual came with it so am hoping the phone software might solve.

While I wait for the wireless gear I hooked it up to a 24 inch tv/monitor and the image was quite good and should look better on a mobile.

Wasn't Me - 2015-06-16 3:14 PM

Hey Zombies

Can you tell me what type you have I have been looking for one to use with my phone, for the same reasons.

Thanks in advance.

I bought one off eBay (!) Came today and fitted it, quite pleased with the install.

one slight issue is the image displayed is mirrored, no manual came with it so am hoping the phone software might solve.

While I wait for the wireless gear I hooked it up to a 24 inch tv/monitor and the image was quite good and should look better on a mobile.

The camera was just under £10 v small comes with 5m lead if needed drill bit and power lead. EBay no. 291381002430

For its size I'd recommend it but until I sort out the mirrored image I'd check with others first.

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.19436054d65c53fa6bcda9119a729c48.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.796b537b0d23c5e129f2d79ed28d68a1.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.19a76ba13f85bea107e4018a77517a05.jpg

Wasn't Me - 2015-06-17 10:03 PM

Thanks I have subsequently read some reviews on Amazon and it seems there is the possibility of a lag when connecting to the phone.

I hope it works well for you.

Quite possible.

I have had WiFi lag in the past with various gadgets (WiFi films to tv) and am hoping my phone (note 4) will help prevent it.

we'll see.

not a huge outlay and there is the option to hard wire.

Have just installed the wifi kit, straight forward setup.

Lag wise I'd say about .3 of a second and I'd say that's normal with wifi.

With the screen being upside down if I place the phone the right way on its mount even with screen rotation on it doesn't alter itself and only for the guide graphics being on you wouldn't know.

the camera people have offered a part refund but as I asked for a replacement I'm waiting for a reply on this.

I'd say it was a good setup and Im the sort to have everything as it should be.

camera graphics aside I'd still buy it

The wifi kit was bought from amazon, Sourcebay WiFi £30. The phone app allows record and image capture.

Zombies

Not having used or even seen any reversing cameras Are they all like this appears to be ?

From what I see here its a view of a space. IS THAT ALL ? There seems to be no way of seeing obstacles on the ground or overhanging branches or how close the van parts are to any objects etc which I consider far more important than a plain empty space.

Are they fitted with a fish-eye lens thereby solving the problem?

Will

Archived