Security

Len Salisbury

I fitted internal locking deadlocks to my vans two front doors ,[ some put a chain or similar across the two front doors through the door handles ] and I have an internal lock on the Habitation door, my van is always alarmed when we  sleep wild at night, so far in 20 years  no problems, BUT remember you must be able to exit your van quickly in case of fire etc, and with my set up I am.

If the central locking incorporates deadlocks on all doors, then it will only be vulnerable, as George implies, to glass breakage, with someone having to get in through the broken window to gain entry. If no deadlocks, then the locks can be released by operating the internal door release through the broken window. If the van is coachbuilt, it is probable the acrylic windows will be relatively easy to force. If the central locking doesn't extend to the habitation door, and that lacks any form of supplementary locking, it is liable to be the soft spot. If you sleep with windows or rooflights open, they will be obvious points of entry. External lockers seldom have good locks, so are relatively easy to force.

However, I don't understand why you are concerned about security while you are in occupation. The van is much more likely to be "done" while you are out, giving the thief reduced chances of detection. Breaking into occupied vehicles is a very high risk occupation for a thief. Unoccupied vehicles offer much less risky targets.

The first step to security is to choose where you park, whether for a visit during the day or to sleep, with due care and during daylight, leaving time to move on if you don't like the look of the place. Using designated motorhome stopping places is another good step. Using campsites with good entrance security another. Deserted places, especially if close to larger towns, are not a good choice. Using motorway rest areas, especially if on popular holiday routes at holiday times, is not a good idea. Many will say they do this with "no problems", and it is true the law of averages dictates that one is unlikely to be a victim but, it is also true, based on the numbers of reported robberies in such locations, that the risks are greater.

While break-in is an ever present risk, if you slelect where you stop with a bit of care, and avoid places where the risks are generally held to be higher, the chances of being a victim of robbery are, in fact, very low. So, unless you favour driving until dark, and then pulling into the first stopover you can find, I think your implied concerns are unfounded. Sleep well! :-)

Guest Peter James

I spent years driving lorries, having far fewer places to park and restricted by the tachograph to parking in remote areas, obviously alone, and with a valuable load and vehicle.

Parking and sleeping in a van has always seemed a doddle after that. I think its safer than the average house. Toughened glass, nobody could break in without waking you up, and you have the possibility of driving away.

Guest Peter James
Peter James - 2015-06-14 12:58 PM

I spent years driving lorries, having far fewer places to park and restricted by the tachograph to parking in remote areas, obviously alone, and with a valuable load and vehicle.

Parking and sleeping in a van has always seemed a doddle after that. I think its safer than the average house. Toughened glass, nobody could break in without waking you up, and you have the possibility of driving away.

PS: I was parked in Scarborough last week when a young polish man came to borrow my hammer because he and his family were stranded with his keys locked inside his VW Golf. We were both amazed how big a blow it took to break the quarterlight - I think it took all his strength and made a terrific bang. Unfortunately it showered the inside of the car with thousands of tiny shards of glass - with hindsight we should have taped the window before smashing it.

For the last decade or so windscreens are of laminated glass, a sheet of tough plastic between two sheets of glass. Its designed to be slightly weaker than the average skull so that it cushions anyone colliding with it in an accident. These take time to break through.

Other vehicle glass is toughened and designed to fracture into tiny particles rather than lethal big splinters. Its tough and takes a hammer blow to break but hates a sharp point that starts a crack that will propagate almost explosively in a fraction of a second. Its made by heating the glass just short of melting and blowing freezing air at both sides at the same time. The outer layers contract faster than the core, in effect its the Indian rope trick, the outer layers in tension the core in compression. A nick unlocks the assembly releasing the stored energy smashing the glass to a small size.

After around 1500 nights camping the only time anyone broke in was in daylight when we were away from the van and they forced the habitation door.

Guest Peter James
Rayjsj - 2015-06-14 1:09 PM

My 2 Labradors , although seemingly sleeping soundly, wake at the slightest noise. Ray

With their hearing being so much better than ours, the slightest noise to us might be loud to them?

I love watching the dogs tearing up and down after the balls, people look so slow and clumsy in comparison, but do they have as good eyesight as us? Although much further away, I can often see the ball they are looking for when they can't

Guest Peter James
George Collings - 2015-06-14 3:21 PM

For the last decade or so windscreens are of laminated glass, a sheet of tough plastic between two sheets of glass. Its designed to be slightly weaker than the average skull so that it cushions anyone colliding with it in an accident. These take time to break through.

Other vehicle glass is toughened and designed to fracture into tiny particles rather than lethal big splinters. Its tough and takes a hammer blow to break but hates a sharp point that starts a crack that will propagate almost explosively in a fraction of a second. Its made by heating the glass just short of melting and blowing freezing air at both sides at the same time. The outer layers contract faster than the core, in effect its the Indian rope trick, the outer layers in tension the core in compression. A nick unlocks the assembly releasing the stored energy smashing the glass to a small size.

After around 1500 nights camping the only time anyone broke in was in daylight when we were away from the van and they forced the habitation door.

I thought the Indian Rope Trick was where the magician got the rope to levitate up in the air, then climbed up it and disappeared. I often wish some people on here could do it. But thats beside the point.

Since the outer layers of glass contract before the core, doesn't that mean the core tries to contract after the outer layers have set hard. Meaning its the core thats in tension, and the outer layers in compression?

Peter James - 2015-06-14 5:30 PM

Rayjsj - 2015-06-14 1:09 PM

My 2 Labradors , although seemingly sleeping soundly, wake at the slightest noise. Ray

With their hearing being so much better than ours, the slightest noise to us might be loud to them?

I love watching the dogs tearing up and down after the balls, people look so slow and clumsy in comparison, but do they have as good eyesight as us? Although much further away, I can often see the ball they are looking for when they can't

Who cares?

Peter James - 2015-06-14 5:37 PM............................

Since the outer layers of glass contract before the core, doesn't that mean the core tries to contract after the outer layers have set hard. Meaning its the core thats in tension, and the outer layers in compression?

Learned dissertation here: http://tinyurl.com/o7n8ayl :-D

Whichever layer is in tension/compression, the result is the same. Instant shatter into small granules. Next time you need to break toughened, use a small, sharp pointed, item, like those emergency escape hammers you see in buses and trains. No real noise to make, just one sharp blow and the glass is gone. Having done the glass, if you rouse or stir in your slumbers the thief will be some way distant, watching. If all is quiet, after a few minutes he'll be back, to see what he can reach. If you wake up and make a noise or turn on lights, the thief will be gone! But, you'll still have a busted window to fix!

Just don't us ear plugs when you go to bed!

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2015-06-14 7:53 PM

Peter James - 2015-06-14 5:37 PM............................

Learned dissertation here: http://tinyurl.com/o7n8ayl :-D

Whichever layer is in tension/compression, the result is the same. Instant shatter into small granules. Next time you need to break toughened, use a small, sharp pointed, item, like those emergency escape hammers you see in buses and trains. No real noise to make, just one sharp blow and the glass is gone. Having done the glass, if you rouse or stir in your slumbers the thief will be some way distant, watching. If all is quiet, after a few minutes he'll be back, to see what he can reach. If you wake up and make a noise or turn on lights, the thief will be gone! But, you'll still have a busted window to fix!

Just don't us ear plugs when you go to bed!

Interesting link Thanks.

As far as I can see, If it was the outer layers in tension that would make the glass weaker.

Glass is strong in compression, weak in tension.

A blow to one side puts the opposite side in tension, starting a crack which breaks it easily.

Wheras if the core is in tension too, it means all the tension is not taken by the opposite surface - so the glass is stronger?

Archived