south of France

tonyl101

We've spent the last week or so in the region - came over from Italy, and did not like the Nice/Menton area- just too congested, and impossible to get parked at hypers. We stopped one night at Cagnes, site ok, and headed off inland. But currently at Grimaud (Les Mures, ACSI) and it's fine - main road heaving most of the day, but up at the back of the site it's quiet and pitches are mostly large. Beach at the site is good, and probably would be in peak season even. Nearest we've got to eating out was a pan bagnat in Ste Maxime!

But as others have said, we'd not be here in high season - couldn't afford it, even though at 41€ a night for 2 with EHU, at current euro exchange rates it's only just over £30. A lot of sites charge more, even in UK.

Hi Tony,

I know the area between Cannes and St Tropez very well as I lived right at the coast in the eastern Var for a number of years.

There is NO problem with finding plenty motorhome parking spots right along the Esterel coast road if you avoid the busy period between early July and the last week of August.

In addition the authorities will generally allow you to park overnight in many parking spots along that coast.

There are only a few camp sites right at the shore between St Tropez and Cannes. The best ones are in Agay and Le Dramont but need to be booked well in advance.

There are lots of camp sites slightly further in land in the Frejus and St Raphael area and in Agay as well as Antheor.

On the western side of St Tropez there are also camp sites not far from the shore but I personally believe that the coast is much nicer further east.

In my opinion the Esterel coast is one of the nicest in France and it has lots of nice but often small beaches. The beaches just outside Frejus and in St Raphael are very large but parking along the road with a large motorhome would be a challenge.

The French themselves favour the St Raphael area over that of St Tropez/Cannes/Nice.

In May/June as well as September/October there are lots of French motorhomes and also quite a few Italians. I have rarely seen UK ones in the years I have lived there.

One further point: it is entirely wrong to say that the area is over priced (on French standards). Of course, during July and August camp sites have no problem getting full and the prices reflect this but outside that period prices are on par with those in the UK!

Supermarkets charge no more in the Var than in the rest of France.

I would agree that Spain would be cheaper but the South East of France has much to offer.

A pleasant experience would be to take the regular ferry from St Raphel to St Tropez and have a stroll around the town and the port where you can admire the yachts of the rich and famous. The fort is also worth visiting.

There is excellent parking at St Raphael port for your Smart car but not for your motorhome.

Hope this has been useful.

Archived