Invertors, air ride

Hi all two questions really

Does anyone have experience of invertors like these http://www.rhinoinstalls.co.uk/inverter.htm

Am I reading correctly these would be wired into all plugs in the motorhome so they can be used of battery?

Also does anyone use air ride suspension, is it good for levelling the van when parked up somewhere that is not level?

Love the look of the hydraulic kits but at ten times the price not so sure it's worthwhile.

My van has air rides, which are wonderful when driving, BUT, as far as I could find out a while ago, are now not available. I needed a spare dial but could not find one anywhere, not an actual air ride spare, and a very helpful MOT bloke helped me out telling me to use my inflator dial and ignore the one on the air ride mechanism. Plus they do not help to level the van at all when parked up.

Guest frankie640
Jonboymentalhealth - 2015-06-14 6:32 PM

Does anyone have experience of invertors like these http://www.rhinoinstalls.co.uk/inverter.htm

Am I reading correctly these would be wired into all plugs in the motorhome so they can be used of battery?

Also does anyone use air ride suspension, is it good for levelling the van when parked up somewhere that is not level?

Love the look of the hydraulic kits but at ten times the price not so sure it's worthwhile.

I'd get a generator as large inverters will really cane your batteries.

If you have an inverter that powers all the sockets, it must have a sensing device to switch to mains power when on hook up. Which the 1800 Watt upwards in the link above appear to.

I hope you have a large capacity battery bank. :D

Jonboymentalhealth - 2015-06-14 6:32 PM

Am I reading correctly these would be wired into all plugs in the motorhome so they can be used of battery?....................

Remember that to produce just 1A of current from the inverter at 230V, you will have to put in more than 20A from your 12V battery.

If you want all the 230V sockets to be available for appliances like hair dryers etc when not on EHU, you are, as already said, going to need a very large, and heavy, battery bank, plus a more powerful means of charging it.

Having an inverter does give you flexibility.

I use our MSP1512 for the small kettle 650w, small Electrolux stair vacuum cleaner and the wife's hair drier. All in moderation.

But I wouldn't wire it in to all sockets, fit some extra sockets easily available along side your mains sockets.

I use an inverter to run the sky HD box with no problems. I didn't wire the inverter to all sockets in the 'van - The inverter I have has two sockets on it - 1 of which I plug the sky box in to (located under a seat box where the batteries and inverter live). The second one is wired to a single socket at the front of the seating area where laptops etc. can be charged.

Note.

1) In order to save the battery bank I rewired the switch on the inverter to give me a separate switch in the habitation area (saves diving under the seat box every time I want to switch it on / off) So when not in use switch it off as it can still be a drain on the battery even when your sky box is turned off.

2) cables from the battery to the inverter need to be as short as possible - so locate the inverter near the batteries and take the output 230v to the appliance (not the other way round).

3) I have solar panels and 3 x 140 Ah leisure batteries so keeping the batteries charged isn't a problem. Make sure you have sufficient battery storage and the ability to keep 'em charged up.

Invertors can be a useful back up but used sparingly as others here have said. Taking 20 - 30 amperes through the supply cables will run them hot so the invertor also needs to be as close to the batteries as possible. I keep mine well away from the mains circuitry and run it on its own as and when.

Archived