Cadac Safari Chef

starvin marvin

We have had one of these for quite a few years now and it is still going strong.

It comes in a good quality bag with handles and measures roughly 350mm x 250mm x 350mm high (I went out to the van and measured it just now).

It works well in practice with either a wire rack or a hot plate and a lid that acts as a wok. Not a big cooking area but enough for the two of us and it is nice and compact for storage.

Any BBQ is a pain to clean to some extent due to the nature of the thing so if you don't like cleaning up mess don't buy one and use disposables instead.

I actually don't find it any more difficult to clean than any other BBQ and in fact it is a lot easier to clean up than my home gas BBQ as all the bits are separate and small so fit into a standard sink easily.

Hi

They are good.., but also look at Palson Grand Gourmet. On Amazon, brilliant for cooking all the things you do on a BBQ but can also do Paella, Pizza, fried eggs, and nothing to wash, just wipe it out..however it is electric but saves using your own gas if on a site...

Don636 - 2015-06-14 7:49 PM

We have had one of these for quite a few years now and it is still going strong.

It comes in a good quality bag with handles and measures roughly 350mm x 250mm x 350mm high (I went out to the van and measured it just now).

It works well in practice with either a wire rack or a hot plate and a lid that acts as a wok. Not a big cooking area but enough for the two of us and it is nice and compact for storage.

Many thanks

Do the users of the Safari Chef who give it glowing reports use the low pressure (piped in to van gas via BBQ point) or the high pressure (screw-on canisters) version ?

I bought a s/h high pressure version to try out - not a fan of gas BBQs generally, but SWMBO was pushing to try one & the van doesn't have a BBQ point - and found the performance dismal. Not a lot of heat for high gas consumption - gave up on "BBQing" a couple of burgers after half an hour as, even with the lid on, they just were not cooking. They were finished off in the van, but that still left the miserable clean-up. I have gone back to a similar sized Aldi back-packing charcoal BBQ that does actually cook stuff & the Cadac is stuck in a cupboard. The burner looks fine using propane-butane mix canisters - nice vigorous blue flame pattern, not yellow or sooty - but with the BBQ plate thing on it just doesn't give out enough heat to cook meat directly.

Big disappointment & just reinforced my inherent dislike of gas "BBQs"

We bought a cadac about three years ago, although I'm not a lover of gas bbq's this bit of kit is really good! Don't have any trouble cooking anything, and it's great for cooking eggs and bacon in the morning! People come past drooling! Hee! We have an autotrail so it plugs into gas outlet, no probs. Enjoy!

Thanks very much for the replies, as I said in the original post I wouldn't be using it for BBQ's as we don't eat barbeque food or fryups. We eat as little saturated fat as possible and certainly no burnt fat at all.

We would just use it for cooking outside and the wok lid may mean we can leave our travelling wok at home.

Going to look at one in real life as soon as we can. Sounds like it might work for us. Thanks once again.

Don636 - 2015-06-15 10:49 AMAny BBQ is a pain to clean to some extent due to the nature of the thing so if you don't like cleaning up mess don't buy one and use disposables instead. I actually don't find it any more difficult to clean than any other BBQ and in fact it is a lot easier to clean up than my home gas BBQ as all the bits are separate and small so fit into a standard sink easily.
http://s284.photobucket.com/user/woody200/library/Spanish%20Barbi  Well I made this Barbi /Grill, I bought a Spanish Paella gas ring and legs and adapted it to take my cast iron grill plate , and the plate is all I have to wash up easy peasy, the legs fold away  for storage all very quick and easy, I can plug the gas hose into my Barbi point on the van, previously I used a Gaz 907 bottle with a gas ring  on it and then the cast iron plate but 907 gaz a very expensive way to go compared to my refillable bottles.

Archived