Nice places to stop on way to Vendee!

Wasnt Me

Hello all.

We are travelling down to the Vendee in July from Calais and are looking for recommendations of areas to visit we plan to stay aires, we do have last years book.

We are getting an earlyish tunnel have a couple of days to get there and are in no massive rush but would like to be within approx 4 hours of Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie in the Vendee by the second nights stop.

We have two young kids and a dog so somewhere to give the 3 of them some exercise would be ideal.

We are stopping on a proper site for 7 nights then moving to Quiberon for another week.

Then we are travelling back to Calais from there so some recommendations for the way back would be useful too. I was thinking Normandy?

Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks in advance!

What about taking the kids to Mont Saint Michel there's a large Aire there from where you take a shuttle bus to the island.

Or if you don't mind a route circumnavigating Paris, then travel further south to Blois. Worth seeing Houdins chateau and the dragons are free! Google " Dragons of Blois " Your kids would certainly like it. Magical! Just don't show them the videos on google before going there. Theres a new aire since we went last time which should be in your aires book.

PS the dragons emerge every hour on the hour.

Either stop should put you about 4 hours give or take from St Gilles Croix deVie

Regards

Gavin

Guest Joe90
The Aire at Honfleur, especially at that time of year would be the very last place I'd stop, noisy, smelly, and now overpriced for basically a huge scruffy car park that can resemble Dale Farm...........although Honfleur is pleasant enough.

I suggest that any of the aires in popular or busy places (at "attraction places" like Homfleur or those near to major transit routes) will be crowded and maybe inaccessible, even if you time your arrival when some are likely to be leaving. If however you aim for aires (chosing from the All the Aires book) which are off the beaten track, maybe by a lake or a leisure area of some sort, you could be very pleasantly surprised.

Plan an indirect route to your destination, taking the D roads, taking your time and, unless you really want to visit a particular attraction, aim for countryside areas.

You could consider a visit to Puy du Fou It's a huge theme park with fantastic shows, especially the bird performance. www.puydufou.com/en. Yes, it will be very busy in July and quite expensive but it's a great experience for adults and kids. They have their own aire on site. There is a small charge, you take a ticket on the way onto it and pay on your way out. Getting to the Vendee from there is easy.

Would also recommend Puy du Fou. The aire is €6 per night. Water point, emptying point and limited electricity. 10 minutes walk to park but there is a free bus service to and from aire to park entrance.

It is much cheaper for a two day ticket than one day. At least two days necessary to do the park some justice. I was there last week and the only English couple on the aire had been there for six days. Every day the wife saw the birds of prey show, twice.

Well worth a visit. Spectacular, take a picnic to keep costs down. There is a kennels for the dogs at the park.

Archived