AutoCruise Pace

Len Salisbury

We have the above M/H with a foldaway bed at the rear which can be made permanent by dropping the base which hold slats to support the mattress. The slats of wood are curved and fit into holders at each end. It looks like the holders need screwing down tight to stop them rattling when on the move. To get at these screws I think that I need to prise the slats out because they are covering the screw heads. Has anyone had similar problems and overcome them as I am afraid of snapping the wood as it appears that quite a bit of force will be needed?

It is the holders that are loose and the slats go into them the looseness of the slats get taken up by the mattress and then lie flat that is why they are curved. Have you got the same type of bed as we have, if so can you confirm that the holders/caps are screwed down tight on to the metal frame work?

I recently assembled a new guest single bed with curved slats. The process was to put the ends of the slats into the plastic "shoes" the shoes were then pressed into pre drilled holes in the bed frame. Each shoe has two plastic moulded pegs that snapped into the holes and cannot be easily removed without breaking off the pegs.

Maybe there aren't no screws, which was a bonus for me as I can't knock a nail in straight. Hamfished doesn't cover it.

Len Salisbury - 2015-06-16 11:08 AM

It is the holders that are loose and the slats go into them the looseness of the slats get taken up by the mattress and then lie flat that is why they are curved. Have you got the same type of bed as we have, if so can you confirm that the holders/caps are screwed down tight on to the metal frame work?

From memory our bed has a similar construction, but IIRC the plastic caps on ours are riveted to the frame, I do know that when driving with the mattress's removed there is a lot of clattering from the slats. MelB had the same van as yours so would be source of info.

Archived