Your toilet chemical of choice?

Beastmistress

Ok - my first post and I'm talking about toilets! *-)

We've had our lovely second home for nearly a year now and tried a few different chemicals in the loo including the little sachets (which I like but are not cheap) so before we re-stock I thought I'd ask which brands people on here prefer.

I'd like to try some of the more eco green types but effectiveness and a nice pong are at the top of my list so not sure if they're up to the job (!). And has anyone found a flush liquid that doesn't leave those annoying 'black bits' around the pan?

Any thoughts on this crucial topic

:-)

We use Thetford Green - tried various others over the years and found them less effective, hence probably less cost-effective, ie end up using more. I know lots of people find cheap washing liquid works well - although we didn't find it did for us. (Maybe not thorough enough ridding cassette of traces of Thetford first?)

We've used Thetford Pink flush last 2 years (since getting a van with flush tank) - so far not had any black bits, although I'm sure we will now!

We still keep trying different chemicals after 5 years, and haven't found one which we are satisfied with.

The blue is best but of course contains formaldehyde which is carcinogenic and cannot be used across Europe where we do most of our travelling.

The various Eco friendly chemicals work to an extent as long as the outside temperature is below 20C or so but cannot be used after a "blue" chemical has been used in the cassette. This because it kills all the active ingredients in the green ones because of residue left in the cassette.

A lot of people on here will probably advise the use of biological clothes washing liquids in the cassette which is cheaper than chemicals and certainly initially gives a nice fragrance but still starts to whiff after a while.

It's also debatable as to if it kills all the germs in there.

So my final thoughts are use the chemical of your choice but in hot climates it needs to be emptied at least every 24 hours minimum to stop whiffs.

Hope this helps

Gavin

PS unless anyone knows any better of course !

Beastmistress - 2015-06-16 11:50 AM

We've had our lovely second home for nearly a year now and tried a few different chemicals in the loo including the little sachets (which I like but are not cheap) so before we re-stock I thought I'd ask which brands people on here prefer.

I'd like to try some of the more eco green types but effectiveness and a nice pong are at the top of my list so not sure if they're up to the job (!). And has anyone found a flush liquid that doesn't leave those annoying 'black bits' around the pan?

My fuller reply is to say, again the cheapest. I have only ever come across one site, t'was in Austria that you couldn't use "blue" in their dump, and that's in 15yrs! So its up to you. This thread will descent into chemicals v's Sog, well it usually does. Me I would not touch one with a bargepole, horrible things, stink to high heaven.

We don't use flush chemicals as our lav is flushed from the main water tank. So we rinse the pan with a hand spray refilled with water and disinfectant.

We've tried them all, none are better or worst than the others, cost is the only factor for us. End of.

""My fuller reply is to say, again the cheapest. I have only ever come across one site, t'was in Austria that you couldn't use "blue" in their dump, and that's in 15yrs! So its up to you. This thread will descent into chemicals v's Sog, well it usually does. Me I would not touch one with a bargepole, horrible things, stink to high heaven. ""

Tony are you trying to lite the blue touch paper and get people going on here :-D

I think the main protagonists are out for the day, wait for later when they go online

Gavin

Bio washing liquid, is a popular one, I too have tried all sorts over the years, my previous van had a SOG so no chemicals needed but you can lose a few friends when emptying. A SOG for those that don't know is an extraction system that  vents the cassette every time you open the flap to use the loo, blowing the smelly gases to the  atmosphere hee hee. I guess my preference would have to be Elson Blue, cheap enough if you buy the 5 litre  container, I have never had  any problems anywhere in Europe emptying with Blue in my cassette, I am currently using Blue that I got from Go Outdoors the camping chain and it cost me £10 for 2 x 5 litre containers not as good as Elson Blue but ok.I do not like the  green stuff I think that smells worse than the contents of the cassette , I try and empty my cassette daily  when on our extended travels.

6 years ago I went through the same process. Since then I've tried most sorts and have settled on Thetford Aqua Kem Blue. According to their website http://www.thetford-europe.com/aqua-kem-blue-best-performing-toilet-additive-formaldehyde-free/ it is formaldehyde free. I settled on it because it smells nice, easy to get hold of, and has been reliable in coping with everything deposited in it! I empty our container daily, because the weight is easy to handle, and find that I then only need to use a 30 ml dose. A single 2 litre bottle more than suffices for a 6 week holiday, not exactly expensive, nor heavy to carry. Please don't go down the SOG route, we were parked adjacent to but downwind of a SOG equipped van on a warm evening; whilst they might have been smell free, their stench spoilt our evening - not neighbourly, not nice, anti social.

our SOG vents through the roof....there is no smell, irrespective of the amount of 'blue' or not used...

I have been experimenting since we got this van (first time with a SOG) and it really makes little difference how much 'blue', or none at all, is used.

the biggest issue is actually using too much 'blue'.....its needs a bit of water in the bottom or is too concentrated ......just a splash is sufficient.....our SOG doesnt need anything at all and is certainly not anti-social.....I've been outside the van when the loo has been used and you wouldn't even know it.....

Two scoops of Lidl's own brand Vanish powder and two Thetford caps of Lidl's own brand Lel (available in Spain) but it's basically a mix of liquid washing detergent and bleach.

Picked this tip up from a Dutch winter motorhomer in Spain nine years ago. Used nothung else since.

Saved a small fortune over the years.

Hi

Trouble is, I'm a bit of a 'bio' and 'green' fan (my wife too) and we have a bad conscience about tipping a soup of chemicals down the sewage drains. I suppose that's why Thetford green is sold, though I've yet to try it.

There are some 'Bio' campsites in Ireland who insist that you use green liquids.

The SOG system thus has some appeal.

Alan

manxli - 2015-06-16 6:41 PM

Hi

Trouble is, I'm a bit of a 'bio' and 'green' fan (my wife too) and we have a bad conscience about tipping a soup of chemicals down the sewage drains. I suppose that's why Thetford green is sold, though I've yet to try it.

There are some 'Bio' campsites in Ireland who insist that you use green liquids.

The SOG system thus has some appeal.

Alan

alan, as I said, we are still experimenting with the SOG and tried the thetford Green fluid first of all.....thought we would just use a bit rather than diving in and not using any.....

however, it wasn't really up to much, so I bought the Blue which is a little better, though we only use a tiny amount.

when it is all used, I'll probably just use the SOG 'native' and take it from there...no issues with emptying anywhere then......

Guest frankie640
Lidls own brand concentrated bio washing liquid. I don't believe in putting my money down the loo.

Beastmistress - 2015-06-16 11:50 AM

Yes, Elsan Pink, the double strength one that comes with the Double Pack with a Blue, kills any bacteria in the flush tank....so, no black bits, Thetford pink was the worst, think it came with bacteria spores already in it ! Present van doesnt have a flush tank, but still use the Elasan Pink in a spray bottle, kept in the bathroom.

Van has a 'Sog type' of extractor made by Thetford, but we still use Elsan Blue, only fluid with a guarantee to kill all Bacteria and Viruses, etc., Smells good too. I managed to get a good supply cheap, as they have changed the Container shape, I managed to get 5x 4 litre Bottles, so, will last a while. Only time I use the Green one (I carry one spare) is if we stay on a CL that has a septic tank.Otherwise it's Blue all the way !

Ray

Elsan Blue is our current favourite as it is just as good as Thetford, has a more pleasant aroma and is a lot cheaper - especially at shows.

Having had a van with no flush tank that drew flush water from the main water tank and could not use any pink we no longer bother with any flush tank additive as we didn't miss it when we couldn't use it.

Thetford pink is awful stuff with an unpleasant aroma and the dreaded black bits and algae in your tank and bowl and can even clog the flush pump, which is great fun to remove and clean, and if we were to use pink again it certainly would never be Thetford.

Rayjsj - 2015-06-17 8:02 PM

Only time I use the Green one (I carry one spare) is if we stay on a CL that has a septic tank.Otherwise it's Blue all the way !

Ray

What do you do with the blue and whatever else that is already in the loo when you arrive Ray?

Or shouldn't I ask (lol)

Tracker - 2015-06-17 9:04 PM

Rayjsj - 2015-06-17 8:02 PM

Only time I use the Green one (I carry one spare) is if we stay on a CL that has a septic tank.Otherwise it's Blue all the way !

Ray

What do you do with the blue and whatever else that is already in the loo when you arrive Ray?

Or shouldn't I ask (lol)

I always 'Empty out and rinse' before leaving site, and if i have booked a CL (even CL's want you to phone and book these days.) I stick a charge of greenstuff in. Otherwise it's Blue. Some CL's arent bothered anyway.

Archived