Well done Conrad Anderson.

Brian Kirby

When we got our present van in July 2013, I fitted a Waeco twin lens rear view and reversing camera kit from Conrad Anderson. This worked fine until autumn 2014, when the image began to flicker and at times disappear.

I therefore contacted Conrad's for advice. After several exchanges of e-mails, during which I was asked to carry out and report back on a series of tests, the camara was diagnosed faulty, and a replacement duly supplied direct by Dometic Waeco in early November 2014. On a short trip later that month it seemed this had cured the image problem - but I then became aware of a lack of sound when reversing.

So, I again went back to Conrad's for advice and, after further exchanges of e-mails and tests, it was decided the monitor must also be defective. A replacement monitor was supplied, again direct by Dometic Waeco, in early Feb 2015. Fitted and tested, it appeared to have resolved the sound problem, but a longer "in anger" test was required to be sure.

Having just completed a 6 week trip in the van, the whole system is now working as I had originally hoped, with a superb image under all light conditions, and clear sound when reversing.

Admittedly it has taken a while, but at no time was there anything other than determination to get the problems solved, and pleasant, helpful advice, on the part of everyone at Conrad Anderson. This extends also to Dometic Waeco, who supplied the replacement items without the slightest quibble - something I'm sure is largely due to their long-standing relationship with, and confidence in, Conrad Anderson. So, a big, public, thank-you to all concerned. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2015-07-03 5:57 PM

what sound? I have the same system more or less..have never had heard sound

That's because you've never hit anything ;-) .........

They don't call him Bumper Kirby for nothing 8-) ..........

Jayden009 - 2015-07-03 5:41 PM

Very funny,

and how much patience you have. well.

Because of these problems i consult my local area company named PPA. They are giving home installation and repair service. I am very happy with their service

Here is a link to their web site

http://www.ppacaraudio.com.au/index.php?route=product/category&path=108

Just to save you a lot of time Jayden, PPA are in Melbourne Australia, and we are all in UK - so I don't think any of will be popping round to them anytime soon!

Besides, the website comes out upside down! Good try, Though! :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2015-07-03 7:10 PM

What camera do you have Eddie?

not sure model number but its a dual job, as it looks down at the Back/bikerack when I engage reverse...no sound though

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2015-07-03 7:46 PM

not sure model number but its a dual job, as it looks down at the Back/bikerack when I engage reverse...no sound though

Fortunately mine is manually engaged ;-) .........although on closer inspection there is a possibility of a sound feed? as I have a volume control on my monitor :-S ...........

Cant say the option of listening to folk as I reverse over them is high on my list of priorities

8-)

Waeco? Waeco monitor? If so, do you have the manuals for both?

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2015-07-03 11:54 PM

Yes both waeco and manuals somewhere...can you just put me out of my misery and explain what i am missing re the sound please :D

Waeco reversing-camera systems have tended to include a ‘sound’ feature comprising a microphone in the camera and a loudspeaker in the monitor.

An example of a Waeco twin-lens system is here

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/caravan_accessories/product_50473/waeco_rvs594_5in_twin_lens_reversing_camera_system.aspx

and it will be seen that the camera’s technical specification includes a microphone and the monitor’s specification includes a loudspeaker.

On occasions I’ve found the microphone/loudspeaker feature valuable. If my wife is outside the motorhome assisting me with a tricky reversing manouevre I can hear her spoken advice easily from the driver’s seat as well as being able to see what's going on behind the vehicle. As has been pointed out before on this forum, a reversing camera won’t save you from, say, reversing into an overhanging tree branch, but hearing a loud command from a vigilant assistant might.

The camera’s microphone is constantly in operation, but the monitor loudspeaker’s sound level is adjustable from zero upwards via the monitor’s menu system.

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2015-07-03 6:03 PM

They don't call him Bumper Kirby for nothing 8-) .........

I'm sitting here shaking with laughter (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
Peter James - 2015-07-04 9:41 AM

pelmetman - 2015-07-03 6:03 PM

They don't call him Bumper Kirby for nothing 8-) .........

I'm sitting here shaking with laughter (lol)

you need to get out more

JudgeMental - 2015-07-04 7:17 AM

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-03 11:54 PM

Yes both waeco and manuals somewhere...can you just put me out of my misery and explain what i am missing re the sound please :D

Good, if you've got the manuals you'll need to refer to them, as explaining from scratch would be long and tedious. :-) Just check the camera manual to be sure it has a mike, and then refer to section 8.3 "Adjusting the monitor", of the monitor manual, and the accompanying fig. 10. These are on pages 33 and 5 in my manual.

They don't specifically tell you how to adjust the volume, but the control is directly via buttons 4 (-) and 5 (+). Don't go through the menu for this.

With the system live, if you press + or - you will see a volume bar appear on the screen representing the volume level set. Just run that bar up and down 'till you get the level you want.

But, there is another quirk that is not explained. If you select the cameras using button 2 (C1/C2), you can set the volume for each camera individually (this doesn't work if you select the reversing camera automatically via reverse gear, only via button 2).

I've set volume on the rear view to minimum, which is effectively off, and then selected the reversing view with button 2, setting the volume for reversing to be able to clearly hear sounds from behind. The monitor then stores both settings. So, the souped-up moped behind you at the lights is then silenced, but when reversing you can clearly hear what is going on at the rear, or instructions from your "banksman".

This works whenever the reversing view is selected, whether automatically via reverse gear, or via button 2. It's just a shame they don't explain it!

Archived