wintercampsites near Le havre and Orleans (France)

Guest john

Hi Get the Camping Cheque UK book Thy have several (not many in France) sites open all year & can but cheques for use at them One at Pottiers & two Nr Le Mans others but cannot remember them

In my view, a better choice is the Caravan Club's Caravan Europe Guide. There are 2 volumes, so get the one covering France. It's available to non-members and costs around a tenner. Another possibility (tho' I haven't used them myself) is the Alan Rogers Guides.

• 6 years later...
When I saw your question I thought " Oh good someone else wants as answer to the same question" unfortunately answers so far not encouraging! Going south for the winter via the tunnel we find we have to stop in Cite Europe the first night and then drive to Poitiers for the next stop, there is nowhere in between. Planning for January we are considering driving through Belgium to the campsite at Esch sur Sure in Luxembourg, its a good site, open all year and the diesel is cheap- only thing is though I dont know how much snow there will be, which is why we usually take the N10 / west coast route through France. First stop Poitiers then Bordeaux. We stopped at an aire last year but would have preferred a campsite, even for one night. Bob

When travelling through France in January we always stop off on Aires. In recent years our first stop from Calais has been le Treport on the Normandy coast. If you get the guide book 'All the Aires France' (from ViccariousBooks.co.uk) you will see several other Aires along that coast, including two in Le Havre.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Perhaps the OP needs the full facilities a campsite offers rather than an aire. However there is an aire that may fit the bill if showers and the like are needed. although at additional cost. I'm sure the delightful lady that owns and runs one of the best aires I've come across would help, it has all of the ( spotless) facilities of a site, and she also speaks English for us French language challenged travellers, it is located at Embry. Hope that helps. ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
[QUOTE]1footinthegrave - 2011-10-07 9:03 AM Perhaps the OP needs the full facilities a campsite offers rather than an aire. However there is an aire that may fit the bill if showers and the like are needed. although at additional cost. I'm sure the delightful lady that owns and runs one of the best aires I've come across would help, it has all of the ( spotless) facilities of a site, and she also speaks English for us French language challenged travellers, it is located at Embry which may help for on the way down from Calais. Hope that helps. ;-)[/QUOTE]

Does anyone publish a Book/Leaflet that lists 'ONLY' the Sites that open All year in France and Spain ? I have the Caravan Club Europe book 1 , but most I've seen seem to be closed 'off-Season' which is the ONLY time I would go anyway. Perhaps there aren't any ?? Don't the Europeans Use their vans 'off-Season' , they must do, or why 'Winterise' them ? Aires are fine when 'Passing thru' but for a few days stay you need a site. Ray

The OP is looking for them in the north not much chance of that but you will find them open in the ski resorts. I can't agree with Ray we have just spent most of September in France spent only one night on a site, don't have a lot of choice when the sites are closed.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Ditto above, and I say again look at the Aire at Embry, just like a scaled down site, spotless toilets, showers, and service post I think from memory was the Flot Bleu type. Also take a look at the one near Angers, again full facilities including hook up, showers etc, at a riverside location as good if not better than many sites, with bus service into the city just outside the entrance.

[QUOTE]lennyhb - 2011-10-07 5:15 PM The OP is looking for them in the north not much chance of that but you will find them open in the ski resorts. I can't agree with Ray we have just spent most of September in France spent only one night on a site, don't have a lot of choice when the sites are closed. [/QUOTE] It's not that bad. We spent all of September in France and only stayed on sites. All in the ACSI book - and none difficult to find. ;-)

[QUOTE]malc d - 2011-10-09 12:57 PM [QUOTE]lennyhb - 2011-10-07 5:15 PM The OP is looking for them in the north not much chance of that but you will find them open in the ski resorts. I can't agree with Ray we have just spent most of September in France spent only one night on a site, don't have a lot of choice when the sites are closed. [/QUOTE] It's not that bad. We spent all of September in France and only stayed on sites. All in the ACSI book - and none difficult to find. ;-)[/QUOTE] Depends what area you are in, only saw one site open where we were in the Cantal & there was a free Aire next to it. We spent a few nights on Aries but most of the time wild camped near the ski resorts as we were spending most of our time walking on the mountains. Only down side was all the shops and restaurants were closed as well. I don't bother with ACSI I brought the book a few years ago spent 12 quid on it & saved 1€ on site fees never bothered since, the boss prefers wild camping anyway.

Archived