Tow car

cleddytanhouse

I know that towing cars on an A frame is a "hot" subject and I don't want to open that debate again here. My question is regarding the "On Tow" board supplied by the A frame installer. It has his company name on the board. Is it necessary to stick this on the back windows of the tow car?

I have seen lots of A frame towed cars and mine is the only one so far with this type of board on the back.

It could just be an opportunity for the installer to advertise his company on my car!!!!

frankie640 - 2015-06-17 11:17 PM

The car is not "on tow". It is regarded as a trailer, so does not need an on tow sign.

If it's made this year, then unless it has a cert it's not a trailer, I know of no a frame manufacturers who can supply a cert.

cleddytanhouse - 2015-06-17 8:57 PM

I know that towing cars on an A frame is a "hot" subject and I don't want to open that debate again here. My question is regarding the "On Tow" board supplied by the A frame installer. It has his company name on the board. Is it necessary to stick this on the back windows of the tow car?

I have seen lots of A frame towed cars and mine is the only one so far with this type of board on the back.

It could just be an opportunity for the installer to advertise his company on my car!!!!

I ordered magnetic 'On Tow' sign from E-Bay, have one on the back, After just over a years experience towing it, I might get 2 more, to put on the rear doors (it's a 5 door Yaris) as I have noticed some, mainly truck drivers, trying to 'Push inbetween' the Motorhome and the car on Roundabouts, not realising that it is one unit. I also have a plastic stick on panel inside the rear window with 2 reflective triangles and reflective Tape on it. The more 'Noticeable' that the unit is the Better as far as I am concerned, Arguments about whether it's a trailer or not !!!!! I leave for this Forum. I ONLY tow the car in the UK.

Ray

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reflective-Magnetic-on-Tow-Sign-520mm-x-111mm-Strongest-Vehicle-Grade-Magnetic-/291108840669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43c77064dd

colin - 2015-06-17 11:33 PM

The car is not "on tow". It is regarded as a trailer, so does not need an on tow sign.

If it's made this year, then unless it has a cert it's not a trailer, I know of no a frame manufacturers who can supply a cert.

Who Cares ! http://www.caratow.com/ Read the DVSA downloads. good enough for me.

Rayjsj - 2015-06-18 7:19 PM

Who Cares ! http://www.caratow.com/ Read the DVSA downloads. good enough for me.

Yes I have read the downloads, esp. The Spanish fine dismissal, complete bull, they are not able to provide any evidence thatan a framed car is a trailer and are happy to send motorists off to Spain.

colin - 2015-06-18 9:03 PM

Rayjsj - 2015-06-18 7:19 PM

Yes I have read the downloads, esp. The Spanish fine dismissal, complete bull, they are not able to provide any evidence thatan a framed car is a trailer and are happy to send motorists off to Spain.

IMHO anyone who tries to Use an A-Frame in Spain deserves everything that gets thrown at them.

But then I don't go to Spain anyway. And have no great desire to go. Happy with the service I have received from Car-A-Tow. A good company to deal with. Ray

Archived