lecky question!

Pete-B

Hi,

This will probably seem a dim question to the knowledgeable among us but I'll ask it anyhow!

I've got an electric bike which has a 36v 10ah battery. Bearing in mind the limited Amps available on site how much would the charger be drawing to re-charge the battery?

Thanks for any help.

I suspect that will depends on the size of the charger you use. Most state on the 'box' the amps they will provide, for example a 8 amp charger is giving 8 amps etc. So I guess you can work that in watts which is 8 times 13 volts or 104 watts, so the supply side is 230 volts therefore 104 divided by 230 gives about 0.5 amps draw from the mains. My maths may be wrong, but I think that is the way it works.

Pete-B - 2015-06-18 8:16 PM

thanks for that, just reading what it says on the charger, which is as follows.

Input AC100V-240V--1.8A Max

47-63Hz

Output: 42. OV ---- 2.OA

The max current of 2 Amps will be somwhere below 42 volts. Lets just for sake of argment call it 40 volts although probably nearer 36 to 38 volts. So thats 40 x 2 = 80 watts max mean power. Mean power into the charge at 100 volts is much the same so 80 watts. To allow for losses lets call it a very safe 100 watts. At 100 volts supply that is 1 amp.

Now at 220 volts its just under half an amp. 100w divided by 220v.

The manufacture will have established what the peak surge current is into the charger and presumably is 1.8 amps max peak. It wil be short spikes of current For working out total power you are drawing you can add up all your van appliances up you will be using at same time and add on half an amp basically... or less.

Pete-B - 2015-06-18 7:10 PM

Hi,

This will probably seem a dim question to the knowledgeable among us but I'll ask it anyhow!

I've got an electric bike which has a 36v 10ah battery. Bearing in mind the limited Amps available on site how much would the charger be drawing to re-charge the battery?

Thanks for any help.

I am not sure of the reason fo question, since the is no direct connection from leisure battery to bike battery chargers.

bike battery chargers run on mains input and convert that to nominal 36v to charge bike batteries..

hope this might mak sense but edits have screwed it up

tonyg3nwl

leisure battery charger tops up leisure battery to offset tv, lighting, pump services etc and maybe some trickle to starter battery as well..

so unless you run an invertor to convert 12 volts up to mains, and then run bike battery charger from that, you dont need to worry.

if you do have an invertor, then what is its rating..and then what is its efficiency at peak loading, and what is mains load of bike battery charger..all needed to calculate resultant drain on leisure battery, and necessary rating of charger to keep leisure battery fully charged.

Sorry, just reread the question.

bike battery charger outputs 36volt and battery rating is 10 amphours, ie 10 amps for 1 hour at max drain.

to recharge the battery, the charger would probably be current limited to 2 amps max to prevent overcooking the battery on recharge, so mains current drawn from site will be very small and unless there is afault somewhere, the site supply will hardly know there is any demand and the usual 6 amp site restriction in france will be totally capable of supplying that requirement.

in my previous post, I was thinking of my own invertor setup, which is a 300 watt invertor and charges a battery bike via the 240 volt output and bike charger quit happily, but wont simultaneously charge 2 bike batteries.

plug the bike battery charger in and dont worry.

tonyg3nwl.

Archived