Tow bar mounted bike racks

Mabel

I am looking for a bike rack to hold two electric bikes. I have a VW T5 hi top camper with rear tailgate. I want to be able to open the tailgate when the bike rack is in place. I am looking at tilting tow bar mounted options as they seem easier to load and less likely to damage paintwork. There are several but manufacturers websites are a bit contradictory on whether you can open tailgates or not.

I am therefore after recommendations from forum members who might use similar racks. So far I have seen Thule and Atera ones which are theoretically possible.

JohnP - 2015-06-19 3:32 PM

Search "bus-biker/bus camper bike rack"you will find some info plus photos of something which may be suitable. Was discussed with the past year.

.....Only for the Ducato (and Citroen/Peugeot clones) I'm afraid.

We have a tow bar mounted Thule bike rack and 2 electric bikes would be too heavy for it and your van. Also we can't open the back door with the bike rack on as the gap isn't wide enough between the door and bike rack even when it's tilted.

There are several Thule Tow bar mounted bike racks, we bought the Thule 916 to use with our Toyota Hi Ace Van it works a treat, it is designed to carry two electric bikes. There is a setting to enable you to tilt the rack further than the default setting which comes with the rack and the rear tailgate opens fine. This thread of mine tells the story https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Using-a-Tow-Bar-mounted-Ebike-carrier-on-a-rear-Tailgate-van/37712/

Get one they are good

Good luck

Peter

Many thanks to everyone especially Peter. I had read about the Thule 916 but not heard confirmation from anyone that it does actually work! Some dealers seem to say others are OK but I wasn't convinced the info was always correct. Useful tip about the lower tilt not being default so we won't panic when we try it.

My husband has already done the maths and I know we are OK weight wise so It's all systems go.

Many thanks. Will try to report back once we have purchased and used it.

Ps. I did search for threads first but for some reason didn't find the useful posts from you Peter.

Guest machra
I have one for sale if u r in the Milton Keynes area, PM me and we can discuss. I used it for a couple of trips when I had my Ducato panel van conversion, and I thought it was fantastic. However I have sold the van now and have a coach built with a fitted bike rack.

Archived