On holiday and retired

candapack

Guest pelmetman

I've been practicing for years ;-) ............

I hope soon to become a full time member of the idle classes :D ........

Although I wont get paid for doing nothing for another 9 years :-( ............

Retirements for wusses .... Who's guna pay for all the benefits and poor souls coming to claim ?

I can't do it all on my own ... Roofing don't pay much these days

If working into her eighties is good enough for our wonderful Queen then it's good enough for everyone else

No wonder this countries in the shot

Much appreciated Antony, I'll try to remember to think of you and thank you every time I see my state pension added to my bank account!

The world is a better place with generous folks like what you are paying all that tax to keep the likes of me in the comfort to which they have become accustomed. Thanks again.

Cheers mate!!

If it's good enough for Her Majesties Government to give away more than we earn in foreign aid then it's good enough for me to give to the needy pensioners of this fine land we live Rich ... Even if that means I go without

Enjoy retirement , plenty don't !

Caring for the community Antony x

laimeduck - 2015-06-19 5:14 PM

Chris

Same problem... I've been away now since 29/04 and don't return until 15/07.

I have decided to call it a European tour, not a holiday.

So I'm on tour ... but spending money, not making it?

One of the hardest things about being retired, me and the wife both, was adjusting to the idea of spending as opposed to saving.

It just felt - wrong!!

But we're getting there. :D

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2015-06-19 4:28 PM

Retirements for wusses .... Who's guna pay for all the benefits and poor souls coming to claim ?

If working into her eighties is good enough for our wonderful Queen then it's good enough for everyone else

That's your problem Antony .............Your not a proper failure ;-) ...............

Although I've made mistakes in the past to, like I got a job when I left school .........carried on working for years :-S............when I should have just gone straight onto benefits ...........

I'd of been set for the life of Riley :'( ...........having left school as a complete idiot :->..............

Its not that I'm not qualified to be a workshy git :D ..............

nowtelse2do - 2015-06-19 6:37 PM

Good for you, after a short while it comes natural and you soon get use to it. It's also a nice feeling when other younger ones are helping to keep our heads above water.

Dave (with his old banger TR6 in a nice hotel in Austria) thanks Antony. :D

Jeez ... Care homes taking the old folks out to Australia at my expense

My shoulders feel very heavy this morning paying my taxes n stuff for a load of freeloaders to enjoy life ...it's disgusting

pelmetman - 2015-06-19 11:46 PM

antony1969 - 2015-06-19 4:28 PM

That's your problem Antony .............Your not a proper failure ;-) ...............

Although I've made mistakes in the past to, like I got a job when I left school .........carried on working for years :-S............when I should have just gone straight onto benefits ...........

I'd of been set for the life of Riley :'( ...........having left school as a complete idiot :->..............

Its not that I'm not qualified to be a workshy git :D ..............

I used to be a failure on this site , a big joke .... Confidence shattered by continuous name calling I looked for something else to ease the pain ... Motorhome Fruitcakes rescued me but it didn't last long he found me there too and the pain returned

Then he made a big mistake in here and the fuzz finally arrested him and sent him to hell .. Motorhome Fun with MelB

Antony , Huddersfield , recovering

candapack - 2015-06-19 12:41 PM

Question. Being retired, when I go away in the van, or even not in the van, am I still going on holiday, or just living somewhere else for a while?

You,"re on holiday, same as me. I"m on holiday full time. Retired is a crap job, no holidays, no promotion prospects, no status.....no we"re definately on holiday.

I was happily counting down the years until I could retire, getting quite excited as it got closer, and then found out I am meant to work another 7 years, I think retirement age should come down not go up, what are they thinking?

So I am quite jealous and wish I could be on holiday every day, all you lucky folks enjoy yourselves.

Lynne

lynneroy - 2015-06-21 1:58 PM

I think retirement age should come down not go up, what are they thinking?

Lynne

They are thinking " Oh lordy - we can't afford all these pensioners retiring so early "

Unfortunately it sounds like you are in the wrong profession - some people get to retire at 55 - on a good pension -( but will still have to wait longer for the state ' top-up ')

Anyway Lynne - there can be downsides to getting older you know - so continue to enjoy your youth.

;-)

lynneroy - 2015-06-21 1:58 PM

I was happily counting down the years until I could retire, getting quite excited as it got closer, and then found out I am meant to work another 7 years, I think retirement age should come down not go up, what are they thinking?

So I am quite jealous and wish I could be on holiday every day, all you lucky folks enjoy yourselves.

Lynne

I sounds like you're in a similar boat to us Lynne..

..but don't fret, as judging by some of the resentful, envy based stuff that gets posted on here, it doesn't sound as if some of the "lucky" ones are all that happy with their lot anyway... ;-)

malc d - 2015-06-21 8:26 PM

Anyway Lynne - there can be downsides to getting older you know - so continue to enjoy your youth.

;-)

As they say, there's only one alternative to getting older, and it's not for me - yet. :D

Down under the retired travelling class are known as Grey Nomads or Silver Nomads (yes class exists here!) and we are either on tour or "doing the lap" ( circle route around the country). Whatever we are always " on tour" chasing the sun and the fishing, crabbing along with all the other pleasures of life. When the sun goes down or sometimes a little earlier for some we arrive at "wine o'clock" then we turn on the BBQ to cook the catch of the day. It is definitely not retirement as we are all too busy!
Cheers Gary

Guest pelmetman

I thought catching crabs was a young mans sport? ;-) ...............

At least the ointment is free for OAP's over here :D..............

Tracker - 2015-06-19 4:45 PMMuch appreciated Antony, I'll try to remember to think of you and thank you every time I see my state pension added to my bank account!The world is a better place with generous folks like what you are paying all that tax to keep the likes of me in the comfort to which they have become accustomed. Thanks again.Cheers mate!!

Could not have put it better myself and isn't it nice to have a bank holiday every Monday also the more the working classes pay in tax allows me to pay less thanks.

We tend to call it 're-location' as we are doing basically the same things, but in a different place. We have done most of the touristy things and have all the T shirts we need. So we get up, have coffee somewhere, think about what to have for dinner, buy said items, return to van, lunch, maybe pool and then drinks before dinner. I do the same at home except the pool, is indoor and we may return home early if it is raining and cold, as it usually is.

However, I would point out that many retirees are the most miserable people you could meet. They usually Have more money than sense as they have huge pensions, but are always moaning about something. If it is not the weather 'too cold, too windy' or the site 'too expensive' or the locals 'too noisy' or how they are sick with every ailment under the sun. We re currently in Spain and all the Brits have left as the Spanish are too noisy. Well, it is their country and they are on vacation. Do they not think the Brits can be just as noisy. They want to use the place to get cheap booze/sites/food etc but will not integrate at all. The good side we have the site/pool to ourselves, the beach is fabulous, the sea is warm, and we get peace at night. Long may they go home and continue to be miserable. This year the complaint was ' we came in March/April and it was cold and 80 mph winds, and snow in Madrid etc'. Yes, it was April and these things happen. If you want wall to wall sunshine then stay till June instead of running away at the end of May.

Yes, it is 30 degrees in the middle of the day but so what? I occasionally read the UK newspapers and get more depressed by the minute. The good thng is they give me the desire to just stay heer and enjoy, even if I sweat my b...s off at night

We tend to call it 're-location' as we are doing basically the same things, but in a different place. We have done most of the touristy things and have all the T shirts we need. So we get up, have coffee somewhere, think about what to have for dinner, buy said items, return to van, lunch, maybe pool and then drinks before dinner. I do the same at home except the pool, is indoor and we may return home early if it is raining and cold, as it usually is.

However, I would point out that many retirees are the most miserable people you could meet. They usually Have more money than sense as they have huge pensions, but are always moaning about something. If it is not the weather 'too cold, too windy' or the site 'too expensive' or the locals 'too noisy' or how they are sick with every ailment under the sun. We re currently in Spain and all the Brits have left as the Spanish are too noisy. Well, it is their country and they are on vacation. Do they not think the Brits can be just as noisy. They want to use the place to get cheap booze/sites/food etc but will not integrate at all. The good side we have the site/pool to ourselves, the beach is fabulous, the sea is warm, and we get peace at night. Long may they go home and continue to be miserable. This year the complaint was ' we came in March/April and it was cold and 80 mph winds, and snow in Madrid etc'. Yes, it was April and these things happen. If you want wall to wall sunshine then stay till June instead of running away at the end of May.

Yes, it is 30 degrees in the middle of the day but so what? I occasionally read the UK newspapers and get more depressed by the minute. The good thng is they give me the desire to just stay heer and enjoy, even if I sweat my b...s off at night

Guest pelmetman
Dave225 - 2015-06-24 8:59 PM

Never mind Dave.............

The suns halfway to its equinox, so you'll soon be able to freeze your b...s off at home :D.........

Archived