South of France in Winter

Bailey

Has anyone spent some time in the South of France during the Winter. I was thinking of spending a week or two there on the way to the South of Spain. I'd prefer to stay in Sites rather than Aires - that is of course if there are any open in Winter. I'm very flexible regarding location as I'm not in any rush.

The weather is less reliable than in Spain, but it can be good. A choice to make, I think, based on forecasts at the time you will go.

There are a few sites saying they will be open between the beginning of November and the end of February. Two between Nice and Antibes, one or two more at Mandelieu-la-Napoule, one at Aix, one west of Toulon at La Seyne-sur-Mer, one SE of Perpignan at St Cyprien and one inland at Le Boulou. All claim to have heated sanitary facilities. If you're not bothered about the heated facilities, there are a few more.

Don't forget this is the period when the true Mistral blows: it is a cold wind and, once it starts, blows for between two days and a week. It blows down the Rhone and affect the coast to the east as far as Toulon and to the west to beyond Montpellier. Best avoided! :-)

Bailey - 2015-06-20 5:49 PM

Has anyone spent some time in the South of France during the Winter. I was thinking of spending a week or two there on the way to the South of Spain. I'd prefer to stay in Sites rather than Aires - that is of course if there are any open in Winter. I'm very flexible regarding location as I'm not in any rush.

Don't bother too damn cold, go south, the further the better.

We had a couple of good weeks in Corsica early Oct, 25 deg nice sea temp as well. Santa Guilia way. Nice drive down the eastern side but the people are not as friendly (not all) as on mainland.

Mainland, maybe one or two nights but as said head for southern spain

We were on the Med a few years back in March, It was bright and sunny but the Mistral was blowing hard and around freezing. After a couple of days we went north into the Pyrenees up int the snow and out of the wind and while still cold far nicer.

I read somewhere that during the Mistral both the murder and suicide rate rise sharply.

The best place for warm is west of Gibralter.

George Collings - 2015-06-20 11:13 PM..............I read somewhere that during the Mistral both the murder and suicide rate rise sharply.

I read somewhere else that temporary madness induced by the mistral is locally accepted as a valid defence for murder! :-D

Having lived on the Cote d'Azur for a number of years I can assure you that it can freeze overnight, especially in January.

That was directly on the coast, further inland (higher up) there can be substantial snowfall.

This does not occur every year but does happen.

However from around the end of February the weather gets better with a good chance of sunshine.

The days will however be short, when the sun disappears the temperature can drop very rapidly.

The Mistral can further add to the cold through wind chill.

Most camping sites will be closed but others have already mentioned a few that are open all year around but check whether they have any heated facilities.

One further point: many restaurants and other tourist facilities will be closed. If you stay near a larger town there will be a larger resident population which means that more locations will be open all year around.

Archived