Satellite dishes

rogermash

Am just back from a few days away in windy Wales! After watching the dish rocking in the wind, I was wondering why portable dishes are solid. The one on our house is perforated, and never moves. Why cant we have them on our vans? (?)

Whilst I think the idea of perforated dishes for mobile use make sense, I would dispute that is why they rock, obviously less load on a perforated dish but I have both types at home one being over a metre in dia but it doesn't move as it's solidly fixed down, the little i-sat dish on my van moves, mainly it seems due to play in the mechanism.

As Colin said - The rocking of the dish is due to the mechanics of the dish moving equipment or method of holding it in place. A perforated dish may allow some slight breeze to pass through but in high winds will make no appreciable difference between a perforated and a solid dish.

Likewise reception between a solid and a perforated dish of the same size and quality is basically the same. Larger perforated dishes can become distorted by constant wind loading and not perform well. This is due to the fact that the perforated edge of the dish is too easily bent whereas the solid ones are better at retaining rigidity. Those perforated dishes in the 60 to 80cm range should be ok but always be careful when storing them (if they are not left on the roof) as they are easily distorted and then will not reflect the signals accurately leading to a loss of signal at the edges of the footprint.

In some locations subject to high winds or heat distortion "Mesh" dishes are used - these are open weave a bit like chicken wire fencing - however these cannot be used for the, high, Ku band signals we use from the Astra satellites.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adhple
Get a Snipe from Germany, 1/. Because its cheaper and 2/. Comes with mounting plate, 3/. and fit it your self

Archived