Advice on Millau bridge please

Cliffy

We will bd crossing the Millau bridge heading fod home from Agde. I would like to get some photos of the bridge. Advice on where to get the best view would be appreciated. We have time to go down in to Millau if there is good photo opportunities from below. Which is the best side north or south to view it from without goimg down.

Thanks

There is a viewing area in the Aire on the north side of the bridge where you can get good photos. From memory I don't think there were any good photo opportunities from below. Driving over the bridge is quite an experience. It's a fantastic engineering achievement. Enjoy.

The biggest problem is showing the sheer scale of the bridge to anyone that has not been there.

In the last pic in the far distance just below the bridge deck a hill with a cliff edge near the top can be seen.

A road from Millau town runs from right to left up that hill giving a view of the bridge behind the town.

see pic

There is a small pull in as you descend into Millau from the North. It is on the right side of the road. You can see the bridge almost in its entirety from there. Whether you will get in there is pot luck. You can also get to another viewing area as you rise from the town by turning left following the signs. However, the view you get is looking across and down to the bridge so is not that great for photographs.

Going across the bridge is a waste of time in my view as you can't see that much due to the high sides. It's also very expensive.

I have driven over the bridge many times, once in a tremendous wind, which was a bit hairy in an overcab vehicle especially as there were red warning lights flashing everywhere! These were a waste of time really as by the time they came into view I was committed to crossing the bridge come what may. I can see the views too and I am only about 5 feet. There used to be a small pull in before reaching the big parking area where you were permitted to stopping for 5 minutes to take photos. You now have to walk up the hill from the parking area.

I think the expense is worth it (only ever paid under €10) and the road way, which I have used many times, would cost much more than that in fuel and brake pads.

Guest Peter James
Patricia - 2015-06-22 11:04 PM

I think the expense is worth it (only ever paid under €10) and the road way, which I have used many times, would cost much more than that in fuel and brake pads.

A few years ago I would have agreed with that, now I'm not so sure. Because I got a van with a fuel consumption meter and found I tend to use more fuel on the motorways than minor roads because of the higher speed and wind resistance.

But now I've done both the bridge and the road through Millau I prefer the latter, irrespective of cost or time saving, because I like to see the bridge and town.

To me the bridge is beautiful. But I suppose if we wanted to build it in England the Nimbys would be out in force saying it would blight the countryside :-S

Cliffy - 2015-06-21 8:35 PM

We will bd crossing the Millau bridge heading fod home from Agde. I would like to get some photos of the bridge. Advice on where to get the best view would be appreciated. We have time to go down in to Millau if there is good photo opportunities from below. Which is the best side north or south to view it from without goimg down.

Than33ks

leave the motorway at junction to go down toward town, then follow the sign to the parking/viewing area just a short while after leaving motorway..large parking area and walking accest to northside visitor centre and exhibition area..

there is a good view from this access road but hardly any parking /suitable stop for a photo opportunity, but we stopped at one risky point and grabbed a couple of pics..fortunately no other traffic following at the same time.

Alternatively, go down through the town and climb up the exit road heading south..they have widened the road in a couple of places and provided a viewing point..but of course "wrong side of road"..better go right to top, turn round and drop back to the viewpoint..

tonyg3nwl.

Archived