Basic Questions - Parking at Services and Levelling

moorey56

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and new to motorhoming and have a couple of questions to put out there. These are really basic questions I am sure so be gentle with your replies.

1 - I am still nervous when driving my van due to the size and plan my journeys pretty well. When it comes to services are motorhomes allowed to park where lorries and coaches go and also to get fuel in the lorry section.

2 - levelling - should this be done using the front or rear wheels? I have double wheels at the rear if this makes any odds?

3 - I cant find where the stated tyre pressures are stated for my van, any ideas where I could find this.

many thanks

Simon

Hi Simon

Welcome to the forum

We tend to park where caravans park as you will generally need a larger parking space than for a car if no caravan spaces then we have parked many times with lorries, however coach areas are generally close to the entrances to the services and probably would frown on you taking their spaces at busy times.

Levelling blocks car be used on front , rear or down one side to enable you to level the van. With twin rear wheels you would probably need extra blocks at the rear so each wheel is supported.

Tyre pressures are generally on a label in the door shut, but if you cannot find the label I'm sure someone will come on and advise you. I take it your van is on a ford transit if it has twin rear wheels?

Gavin

Hi,

They all seem big at first but the more you drive them the easier it gets

1) Services in the UK can get very tetchy about where to park and its usually where caravans are or the lorries. Parking where the coaches are is a no no generally.

Fuel is in the car pump area, Lorry fuel pumps usually have a higher flow rate and bigger nozzles.

2) levelling as the previous respondent says

3) They may be listed on a door pillar, under the bonnet or in the handbook (if there is one). Usually tyre pressures are shown front and rear for an empty vehicle and at max weight. Most motorhomes run close to max weight when set up for touring.

Whilst talking about weight its a good idea to get the van weighed when filled up and ready to go off in it and check front and rear axle weights against the permissable figures, there should be a plate on the vehicle giving these permissable figures,

cheers alan

Each service station may be different. The newer ones or recently updated ones tend to tell motorhomers where to park. If you cannot fit into a car park space do not use them. The caravan spaces are next best. Try to avoid coach bays and lorry bays.

I find it easier to avoid motorway service areas. I like drive on the trunk roads, A and B roads as much as I can. If not, I will sometimes come off the motorway when I know there is a suitable lay-by within a mile or two.

Sorry, don't know much about beasts as big as your van.

Archived