Which Ferry for heading south, Bilbao or Calais and drive?

kevandali

Hi everyone.

Thinking of heading for Bordeaux and then meandering across to Bergerac and the Dordogne.
Before I start number crunching just wondered if anyone has taken the ferry to Bilbao then drove to Bordeaux as opposed to the normal Dover - Calais - drive through France route?

I assume that even taking diesel costs into account, the Bilbao route will be a lot more expensive?

I could be wrong, my wife tells me I normally am.
Thanks in advance.

I'd go for ferry to le havre and drive down, you'll be in bordeaux before you get off at bilbao

Down the west side past Niort, towards Sauze Vaussais, Angouleme, Brantome, sarlat and along the Dordogne river then bergerac. Best route. Lived all round that area for years

lots of places to see in between - Vouvant, mervent, Coulon, cognac.

The drive up from Biarritz to bordeaux is v flat and boring but inland a little up to bergerac is quite nice.

not bad from bordeaux to bergerac off the motorway

I just priced the "economy" ferry from Bilbao to Portsmouth at £ 575, add a meal and you are near £650. Driving our brick on wheels from Bilbao area through France, I calculate, including the ferry Calais-Dover, to be around £320. No real contest there. That is using summer campsite prices.

I think the only real advantage of the ferry is, it should be relaxing, and quicker, if you cant spare the time to drive.

I would guess that your costs for the trip to Bilbao, and then to Bordeaux would be in the region of at least £700.

Guest JudgeMental
Drive...I drove back from Twin lakes, just north of Bordeaux recently in a day, and that not using Tolls either (just used A16 section)

Bojitoes - 2015-06-25 6:49 PMWe did the Bilbao ferry in March- even if it were free of charge there is no way We would ever get on that boat again! Drive every time.Bob

Spill the beans, Bob, what happened? 

Going to look at Le havre but looks like the drive.... according to my co-pilot..

JudgeMental - 2015-06-25 6:01 PM

Drive...I drove back from Twin lakes, just north of Bordeaux recently in a day, and that not using Tolls either (just used A16 section)

But you're probably younger and have that magical sprung cushion.

Guest JudgeMental
Will85 - 2015-07-01 2:26 PM

JudgeMental - 2015-06-25 6:01 PM

But you're probably younger and have that magical sprung cushion.

Indeed Will :D

But I bet if you look at the timing its quicker to drive......Slow boat to china?

Not quite sure of your home location, as you seem to have 2 but you may also wish to look at the various journey times in the UK. In my opinion, due to where I live, it is better to take a northern ferry and drive on the EU side on quieter roads, rather than the 'pleasure' of UK motorways. This 'wins' on the return trip as getting off at Dover and then be faced with a trek around London or from the south coast, is likely to take the gloss of the holiday.

We head for Spain each year and do the drive through France. This is for several reasons, one it is cheaper and two, both of us suffer from seasickness and the Bay of Biscay hit us once, never again. It takes us 1 day UK side and 3 days in France but comparing that with 2 days to get to Dover/south coast, 1 or maybe 2 days on the ferry, and 1 day in Spain, it adds up for us. We also do not hammer it each day, 250/350 miles is enough before a stop, unless we are trying to get to a site. The other major advantage is that we return in early October and the French supermarkets are having the wine festivals, so we can stock up with good Bordeaux at low prices.

However, if you have doubts how about trying each way on one leg of the trip to see which suits you best?

kevandali - 2015-06-24 11:04 PMHi everyone.

Thinking of heading for Bordeaux and then meandering across to Bergerac and the Dordogne.
Before I start number crunching just wondered if anyone has taken the ferry to Bilbao then drove to Bordeaux as opposed to the normal Dover - Calais - drive through France route?

I assume that even taking diesel costs into account, the Bilbao route will be a lot more expensive?

Thanks in advance.

204 miles Nottingham to the tunnel. 530 miles tunnel to Bordeaux. 215 miles Bordeaux to Bilbao. 190 miles Portsmouth to Nottingham. So, 734 miles Notts to Bordeaux via tunnel. 405 miles Bordeaux to Notts via Bilbao. Total mileage saved via Bilbao, 329.You'll know your fuel consumption, how many days each leg would take you, and what the Bilbao-Portsmouth fare would be. I doubt it would be cost effective, but would save you two to three days. Only you can cost that saving in time. So, to turn back your implied question, do you think it's worth it? :-)

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-03 4:28 PM

Thanks in advance.

204 miles Nottingham to the tunnel. 530 miles tunnel to Bordeaux. 215 miles Bordeaux to Bilbao. 190 miles Portsmouth to Nottingham. So, 734 miles Notts to Bordeaux via tunnel. 405 miles Bordeaux to Notts via Bilbao. Total mileage saved via Bilbao, 329.You'll know your fuel consumption, how many days each leg would take you, and what the Bilbao-Portsmouth fare would be. I doubt it would be cost effective, but would save you two to three days. Only you can cost that saving in time. So, to turn back your implied question, do you think it's worth it? :-)
Just a comment. It looks like Portsmouth to Bilbao is a 2 day trip outward as the boat goes to France first.

Dave225 - 2015-07-03 5:53 PM

Thanks in advance.

Just a comment. It looks like Portsmouth to Bilbao is a 2 day trip outward as the boat goes to France first.
Is that both ships? or just the economie one?

We have just done Portsmouth to Santander the ferry is part of the holiday great ship, food, dolphin watching and and a change from driving. But I would not use it to get to Bordeaux nor would I use Calais, I would look at a ferry in to Brittany/Normandy. The Normandy Express Portsmouth to Cherbourg is good but a bit pricey.

PJay - 2015-07-03 6:25 PM
Dave225 - 2015-07-03 5:53 PM

Thanks in advance.

Is that both ships? or just the economie one?
Not quite sure of the difference, but at least one boat takes 2 going south but only 1 on the return. 48 hours on a ferry can be a long time. Have alook at the website and see if what you want is available. Prices eeem reasonable until you add the 'extras' like cabins and food etc.

Cliffy - 2015-07-03 8:59 PM

We have just done Portsmouth to Santander the ferry is part of the holiday great ship, food, dolphin watching and and a change from driving. But I would not use it to get to Bordeaux nor would I use Calais, I would look at a ferry in to Brittany/Normandy. The Normandy Express Portsmouth to Cherbourg is good but a bit pricey.

We always use the Normandie Express, which is a fast cat, and takes 3 hours , only problem (maybe) for some, you have to reverse on, both at Portsmouth and Cherbourg. Only runs in the summer sadly, so then we have to go Caen/Portsmoth

The ferry stops en route in France late at night to crew change. We did it once, and slept through it all!

As to costings, just did a rough calculation, and the ferry in late August will be £580 (Economy) plus meals, and that is with the Brittany Club discount. I reckon at full prices for camp sites, fuel, food and etceteras, that the driving cost is only a little over half the price of the ferry. No brainer really, unless time is a problem, when of course the boat wins!

Archived