DVLA - VED Refunds

Tracker

Don't forget that when you sell your vehicle a VED refund from the DVLA should 'automatically' be issued.

The system is not foolproof and twice this year I have had to chase them because it was 'overlooked'.

It's not a fortune but it is still better in my bank than theirs!

Hawcara - 2015-06-26 4:03 PM

What did you upgrade to Lenny, 3850kg? Just picking ideas for the future. ??

Yes 3850, still on the limit on the rear axle as the Al-Ko is limited to 2000kg can upgrade to 2240 by fitting 225 tyres (already done that) and air assist. With the Al-Ko air assist is only available from Dunlop & Goldsmittch, Dunlop basic kit is £800, Goldsmittch twice that.

With the Euro looking like it's going to fall further could be a new van in the offing with a maxi chassis. (lol)

I agree entirely. Now that DVLA are no longer issuing month-at-a-time tax discs, there is no reason at all (other than greed) why their computers couldn't be programmed to calculate road tax on a daily basis and credit refunds as well as charge tax for the number of days a vehicle is used on the roads.

Same with the Dartford Crossing charge. The reason for continuing the charge beyond the payback time for the build cost is said to be that it will keep demand down and thereby make life environmentally better for the locals. But is the revenue being applied to the benefits of the locals, of course not.

Hawcara - 2015-06-26 4:03 PM

What did you upgrade to Lenny, 3850kg? Just picking ideas for the future. ??

If wishing to upgrade the chassis beyond 3,500kg, and if buying new, it will be a lot easier, and possibly cheaper, to take advantage of Hymer's various chassis upgrade options at the time of purchase. Ours looked as though it would be borderline at 3,500kg. I opted for 3,700kg at an extra cost of €250 (about £210 at the then prevailing exchange rate), so it was delivered plated at that weight. It doesn't enhance either front or rear axle maxima, but the van is fairly well balanced fully laden, with about 220kg spare on the front and 100kg spare on the rear. In fact, it runs right on 3,500 kg (+/- 20 or so kg) so the extra 200kg is worthwhile for breathing space and, of course, results in lower VED.

My son had a refund in january for £95.00 has just received a refund for a car he has scrapped for £37.00 and in the same post two letters from dvla saying the £95.00 in january was a mistake and he must send them a cheque for that amount or else proceedings will be taken against him !

Pampam - 2015-06-28 10:27 AM

My son had a refund in january for £95.00 has just received a refund for a car he has scrapped for £37.00 and in the same post two letters from dvla saying the £95.00 in january was a mistake and he must send them a cheque for that amount or else proceedings will be taken against him !

Not a nice request ten?

I wonder wht sort of "proceedings" they have in mind?

Guest Peter James

It irritates me now Government Officialdom has started calling me a 'Customer'

'Customer implies I have a choice of whether or not to use their services *-)

'Taxpayer' or 'Victim' seems far more appropriate.

StuartO - 2015-06-28 11:44 AM

Pampam - 2015-06-28 10:27 AM

Not a nice request ten?

I wonder wht sort of "proceedings" they have in mind?

I would imagine fraud, so if he wasn't entitled to the refund he needs to cough up pronto, and if he was entitled to it he needs to challenge their claim pronto!

Archived