Black forest area. What to do....

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

We usually stop of for some cycling in Alsace area on way to Italy in July. but I want to visit Carthago City and Hymer at Bad Walensee, both are near each other, Then heading for Lake Constance as we were rained of there last year. Then Switzerland and Italian lakes

Dont really know the area at all..Any ideas as to where to visit and stay on route (via Luxembourg/ Strasbourg I guess) would be appreciated....

....I'm heading out for the Hebrides in just a few minutes, so a very quick reply highlighting two sites we've stayed at (more than once).

http://www.camping-langenwald.de/index.php/en/campingplatz-en

Quiet and in the forest - very good for e-biking with loads of forest trails, easily cycleable (or walkable) to Freudenstadt, which is an attractive, quietish town with all the facilities you could need. Open-air swimming pool on the cycle/walking route into town.

http://www.camping-steingrubenhof.de/index_en.php?lang=en

...a lot of statics on this site, but the terraces used for "passing traffic" have a great view, the facilities are excellent, there is a Gasthof for meals and drinks at the entrance. Sankt Peter is a walkable (but fairly steep downhill) distance, and is attractive. More open in aspect than some of the Schwarzwald, and very good for walking.

Note that there is free transport throughout the region for tourists staying in "official" accommodation (including campsites). Search on "Konus" for the details.

HTH

Not far from Robin's suggestion, our favourite is Bad Wilbad.

http://www.bad-wildbad.eu/black-forest-where-to-stay/searchaccomodation/campingplatz-kaelbermuehle-id_59348/

This campsite is very peaceful or there is a Stelleplatze in the town.

From here you can cycle for miles (if you're tough enough) along endless forest tracks. Follow the valleys for flat tracks or head upwards and just get lost in the forest.

I recommend the cafe and cake shop in Enzklösterle.

Any bike problems (e or push) Doktor Cyles will sort you out.

http://www.doctor-cycle.de/

If you go via Strasburg, the road from Offenburg up to Donaueschingen is very nice and lots to see (cuckoo clock shop, Shwarzvald museum & breweries worth a visit), then Schaffhausen to see the Rhienfall before you head for Constance.

The campsite at Kehl was ok last time we were there as is Freiburg. Near Kehl is a village called Kork and there are 2 superb gasthoffs there-The Hirsch and I think the Lamm/Shwan if my memory serves me correct-just opposite the church tower with the storks nest! Food in both was superb.

Have a good trip

Mike

Visit the Zeppelin Museum at Friedrichshafen on the side of lake Constance. Step inside an original Gondola then gaze at the interior of one of the massive structures that lifted it plus tons of equipment on regular cross Atlantic services. Zeppelin also made cars and bicycles that can be seen.

Friedrichshafen is also a ferry port that can transport you across the lake to Switzerland. The port on the Swiss side is not exciting neither is the surrounding area but it does connect with one of the Swiss rail networks that can take you almost anywhere.

You can do this the opposite way round of course by rail starting in Lucerne all that's needed is time..

Of camp sites I have none as we were hotel staying at the time.

Will

Guest JudgeMental
Thanks Will have visted Fredrickshaven previously but not the museum. We are staying east of Lindau, then driving down through Lichtenstein and east Switzerland into Italy..have never been this route through Switzerland before.

Guest JudgeMental
Will85 - 2015-06-27 5:29 PM

I see Lindau is past Friedrichshafen so no point in returning. Do you stay on the Island? I like most tend to miss the route you're taking.

probably stay at "Park Camping" on the lake and cycle in...

JudgeMental - 2015-06-27 1:40 PM

Thanks Will have visted Fredrickshaven previously but not the museum. We are staying east of Lindau, then driving down through Lichtenstein and east Switzerland into Italy..have never been this route through Switzerland before.

Then don't forget your Swiss motorway vignette! Then down via Chur, Como and Bergamo to Garda?

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2015-06-27 5:54 PM

JudgeMental - 2015-06-27 1:40 PM

Then don't forget your Swiss motorway vignette! Then down via Chur, Como and Bergamo to Garda?

Yes thats it Brian, Vadus - Chur - Italy. Presuming we can buy vignette at border as on western route through.... Have you been down this eastern side? Staying on Lago d'islo then Garda

No, only been that way into Austria (via Feldkirch and Arlberg tunnel, but years ago). Easier, I think, to get the vignette from the Swiss tourist office before you leave. 2015 ones will be valid from December 2014 to January 2016, but you can't transfer them between vehicles (or windscreens, AFAIK!). You'll then avoid the faff at the Swiss border. Apparently, Switzerland signed up to Schengen, which seems to me odd as it is non-EU but, as UK didn't, I'd assume there will be full border controls into, and leaving, Switzerland - so enough of a time waster without looking for a vignette as well!

Guest JudgeMental
Have traversed via Switzerland many times, at least 6 in last 12 years. Dead easy, don't even have to get out of van. Transaction done through the window. Hand them some euros, they hand you the sticker. Piece of the proverbial:)

Guest JudgeMental
Brian there is no faff at Swiss border, have never been held up there..not once. Gothard tunnel can be tricky though! :-|

Must have improved then. Quite possible, as we last passed through in '97, and before that in '89. Before that we stayed in Switzerland for a few days in about '72/3. Getting in/out on those occasions was quite time consiming. Haven't been back since, mainly because the vignette seems such poor value for one transit only (seldom come back the way we went down :-)). Undoubtedly good value if a frequent visitor, though.

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2015-06-28 4:53 PM

Must have improved then. Quite possible, as we last passed through in '97, and before that in '89. Before that we stayed in Switzerland for a few days in about '72/3. Getting in/out on those occasions was quite time consiming. Haven't been back since, mainly because the vignette seems such poor value for one transit only (seldom come back the way we went down :-)). Undoubtedly good value if a frequent visitor, though.

While it makes more sense if using both ways think its good value for what you get. But way cheaper then via France particularly if over 3500 or a tag axle. Superb roads and views.....

JudgeMental - 2015-06-28 6:42 PM

Brian Kirby - 2015-06-28 4:53 PM

While it makes more sense if using both ways think its good value for what you get. But way cheaper then via France particularly if over 3500 or a tag axle. Superb roads and views.....

Only if you'd use autoroutes through France. :-) Also, bear in mind that the vignette doesn't apply to vehicles over 3,500kg, which have different tolling systems, but also that they have to pay to use all Swiss roads.

Hey hang on! - "The port on the Swiss side is not exciting neither is the surrounding area"

I live in the county of Thurgau and although Romanshorn port is nothing special, the surrounding area has MANY attractions. It's just that it's not what you would expect having seen the picture on an imported box of swiss chocolates. DON'T DISMISS IT.

There are many pretty villages and the River Thur. It's a fruit growing region (similar to Hereford or Kent). A hop and a skip, then you are in alpine Appenzell. The Säntis Alp and cable car is also not far. Head towards Chur and you won't have to queue at the Gottardt tunnel. Simply use the St Bernardino tunnel instead!

The preconception reminds me of someone I met waiting at Birmingham airport one summer. I was flying back to Zürich mid summer and he was convinced I would be faced with snow!!!!! We have relatively little snow even in winter in fact.

Regards

Alan - "Brummie in Switzerland"

Guest JudgeMental

Interlaken nice..especially with bikes which can be taken of ferries....

Lucern worth a visit if passing, but most convenient campsite expensive

So have you any tips for the Black forest? (subject of the thread)

Archived