West Coast south of Bordeau?

kevandali

I have a plan so cunning, you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel!!

Looked back at older posts and as we are going to be away for approx 4 weeks (not booked yet)
We are thinking coast/ cycle routes through the forest week 1/2 then Bordeau on to Bergerac and follow Dordogne towards Salat and Domme area then home via Calais/Dunkirk.
Malc quoted this over 5 years ago.

malc d - 2010-03-03 8:48 AM Depends on what you like. If you would like a beach that is a couple of hundred miles long where you can get a mile of it to yourself, visit the coast south of Arcachon/ Gironde estuary. Also has miles of cycle tracks through the coastal forests.

After my waffling, my actual question(s) are:-

1. Anyone been to Camping Panorama du Pyla which is south of Arcachon
2. Anyone know of any other campsites/Aires in that area
3. We are definitely doing coast followed by Dordogne, any other coastal areas to consider. I know it will be busy but we have no choice at the moment on the weeks we have chosen (will be July/August)

Thanks in advance for all your help/advice, this is my must go to place and you lot never cease to amaze me on what you have done and where you have been :-)

Cheers
Kevandali

Arcachon.jpg.1d53a7b6680df55df9f7861128a8bf48.jpg

The area around Perentis-en-Borne south of Bordeau is nice with lakes with beaches ideal for swimming , there is an Aire there and numerous campsites further down the coast towards Biarritz there are some wonderful beaches with massive sand dunes and as for the Dordogne its the jewel in the crown when it comes to medieval towns and villages.

Couple of amazing Chareaux in this area - Jumilhac Le Grand and Dournezac (chateau le Montbrun) I believe Brad Pitt et al landed their helicopter here whilst house hunting.

From Brantome towards Thiviers up the N21 nice irish pub/restaurant en route on the left to Jumilhac le Grand then to Dournezac. Got to see while in the area

kevandali - 2015-06-28 10:33 AMI have a plan so cunning, you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel!!
Looked back at older posts and as we are going to be away for approx 4 weeks (not booked yet)
We are thinking coast/ cycle routes through the forest week 1/2 then Bordeau on to Bergerac and follow Dordogne towards Salat and Domme area then home via Calais/Dunkirk.
Malc quoted this over 5 years ago.

malc d - 2010-03-03 8:48 AM Depends on what you like. If you would like a beach that is a couple of hundred miles long where you can get a mile of it to yourself, visit the coast south of Arcachon/ Gironde estuary. Also has miles of cycle tracks through the coastal forests.

After my waffling, my actual question(s) are:-

1. Anyone been to Camping Panorama du Pyla which is south of Arcachon
2. Anyone know of any other campsites/Aires in that area
3. We are definitely doing coast followed by Dordogne, any other coastal areas to consider. I know it will be busy but we have no choice at the moment on the weeks we have chosen (will be July/August)

Thanks in advance for all your help/advice, this is my must go to place and you lot never cease to amaze me on what you have done and where you have been :-)

Cheers
Kevandali
There are any number of sites in the area, but they will be busy at the time you are going, and I'd think booking would be a good idea. If swimming is on the cards I'd stick with sites around the Arcachon basin unless you are very experienced sea swimmers. You are right on the Atlantic, and the waves are very deceptive. They don't look much, but it is a breaking ocean swell. Look at the interval between the waves (and at whether others are swimming) before going in. These are generally flattish, sandy, beaches and the undertow on the sandy bed is phenominal. Easy getting in, but potentially far more difficult getting out! Comments not relevant to a millpond sea, but anything else needs careful evaluation first!

Brian Kirby - 2015-06-28 1:enced sea swimmers. You are right on the Atlantic, and the waves are very deceptive. They don't look much, but it is a breaking ocean swell. Look at the interval between the waves (and at whether others are swimming) before going in. These are generally flattish, sandy, beaches and the undertow on the sandy bed is phenominal. Easy getting in, but potentially far more difficult getting out! Comments not relevant to a millpond sea, but anything else needs careful evaluation first!

And a flat bit of water amongst the waves is likely to be a rip tide.

Endorse what has been said about the sea in that area - very dangerous with lifeguards keeping you in tiny areas. The bassin d'arcachon is the opposite, very shallow and ideal for tiny children but boring for older ones and adults.

Another word of warning -TRAFFIC - it's horrendous all around the bassin. Once took about 2 hours to get from the giant dune de pyla to Andernos les Bains. Never experienced anything like it in France before.

Final positive note the park and ride for the trams in Bordeaux is brilliant and cheap. Don't think of driving in.

Thanks for all the replies, unfortunately we can't book as our house is in the process of being sold and we haven't got an exact moving date yet, we will be in the van en route, the following morning, having moved.

Have still got some time for research, didn't know about the sea but the wife will paddle only and I will make sure loads of people are swimming before having a dip.

zombies - 2015-06-28 11:36 AMkenandali what sat nav do you use?
We have a Tom Tom, will have a look at Bransome for a visit on the way back up.

Cheers Colin, might stick to ankle deep!

Hi Kev

There are a lot of good sites along that coast, although I haven't been there for a while so I wouldn't actually recommend any, with current knowledge.

Places I recall are Hourtin Plage - St. Girons - Labenne - but others are available !- but often in between the different ' villages ' there are mile of beachess with no-one on them.

Most people use the sea to cool off down there - not just a swim. As has been said, be wary of going out far.

( We survived it over many years ).

Take care, and wherever you end up, have a good trip.

Malc D

Currently in Western France ( NORTH of Bordeaux ).

;-)

colin - 2015-06-28 1:24 PM

Brian Kirby - 2015-06-28 1:enced sea swimmers. You are right on the Atlantic, and the waves are very deceptive. They don't look much, but it is a breaking ocean swell. Look at the interval between the waves (and at whether others are swimming) before going in. These are generally flattish, sandy, beaches and the undertow on the sandy bed is phenominal. Easy getting in, but potentially far more difficult getting out! Comments not relevant to a millpond sea, but anything else needs careful evaluation first!

I have seen a young, fit man die in a rip tide, it is terrifying, in the water with 6 mates and then dead, first day of their holidays, the Atlantic Ocean

Archived