Engine warning light - in remote part of Iceland!

peterjl

Help.

I am in north west Iceland with a fiat 130 euro5 engine

The warning came up "check engine",then the yellow engine light came up.

It his was after lunch stop so I checked all the fluid levels and they all look ok. I then drove 20 miles to nearest small community for wifi. During that drive it performed fine.

I think there is a small garage here that may be able to check codes but I thought I would seek advice from the forum. My gut reaction is to carry on or, if I knew how, clear the warning and see if it comes up again.

Ant suggestions very welcome.

Peter

If there has been no noticeable change to the way the engine sounds or performs, and the light has not stayed on after switching the engine off then on again; it should be fine to continue. The most likely cause is a temperamental sensor at the DPF that may require replacing with a modified one at some point but should be fine for now. It may just have been upset by an uncharacteristically low air density at altitude and may be ok when you get home.

Let us know how this works out though, please.

Nick

Thank you Nick. The engine light did stay on after switching on and off.

I found a lovely Iceland man, who had never seen a right hand drive, who plugged in his code reader and said it was the exhaust temperature sensor. He cleared the code but warned it may return but was probably a faulty sensor, which was your diagnosis.

We have 50 plus miles of gravel roads tomorrow so we shall see what happens.

Once again many thanks.

Peter

Hi

I had a similar warning, but on my car recently. It was also yellow and otherwise everything seemed OK. I suppose 'red' would mean stop immediately!

In my case, it was the exhaust emission sensor. Modern vehicles with this feature don't need have the separate exhaust 'MOT' here in Switzerland. Anyone visiting may have seen the little green stickers on side back windows of Swiss cars.

I drove for a couple of days after the initial diags before booking in and getting it fixed. It was pricey. Ouch!

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Thought inshould give an update as arrived home today.

There was no repeat of this problem. Engine started every time no problem and ran well.

The guy who read the codes said it was a disagreement on the exhaust temp between two sensors. I met Keith ( who posts on this forum) in Iceland who suggested it was the temp in and out of the catalytic converter which was outside of the expected range, probably because of the weather conditions at the time.

In any event no further problems. Thank you Nick for your advise. It was fairly stressful at the time and it's good to know that there is advise available on the forum.

Peter

Archived