Newbie after advice

carl191175

Hi all. Just joined and looks like lots of good helpful advice on here which I'd like to tap into if I may.

Looking at going on our first ever motorhome holiday the last week of October 2015. Hiring a motorhome and the plan is to ferry across to Calais then drive up into Netherlands somewhere and work our way back to Calais via Belgium and obviously top of France over 7 days taking in as much as we can within reason.

The vehicle I'm hiring is a Elddis Autoquest 180. 7.2m long. 3m high. We will not be towing another vehicle so after some advice/ experiences from anyone as where to go, park, camp etc bearing in mind the size of vehicle.

I've been doing a lot of research on line and goes without saying I won't be driving into big cities. Looking at parking on outskirts and using public transport or hiring bikes to get around and see the sights.

New to all this so apologise if I sound dumb by asking.

Any suggestions? Good spots to park overnight, campsites (I don't mind paying if good), must sees and of course the BIG NO NO's.

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Carl

I think you will get more reevant answers if you get a few guide books, and pick some places you want to see. Then people should be able to say where the nearby stopping places are. Allowing for the days you'll spend travelling to and from the continent, 7 days doesn't allow a lot of scope for just pottering, so I think you'll need a plan if you want to get the best from available time. For example, just exploring Amsterdam alone is worth at least three days.

• 4 weeks later...
http://s284.photobucket.com/user/woody200/library/Dutch%20Wander  A few pictures of a tour of the Netherlands we did, your vehicle is not that big on the scale of things but will feel big as you are not yet used to it, Parking we have found is fairly easy in Holland and there are places to overnight too ,we don't use campsites unless we have to as our van is fully equipted as most are so we use Aires and wild camp where ever, choices,  have a great trip.

http://s358.photobucket.com/user/vindiboy1/library/Canterbury%20P%20n%20R  These Aires stopovers are on your route and are very good, have a look at Vicarious Books on line, they have publications of Aires and stopovers, in Holland France Belgium etc  and are all in English with sat nav co ordinates and full directions on how to find them, there are lots of other publications available on line too but my favourite is Vic Books. choices again.

Carl

It sounds as though you might be trying to do too much on a first trip, given the short time you are away.

I would stay in France and just gently tour round no more than three places. If you have an interest in war history, there is masses to see within 50 miles of Calais.

Don't try and doo too much in a short time.

You could easily spend a week in Brugge ,great place to visit, there is an Aire there , my picture shows the old area where vans could stay for days free but hey ho that has gone now, I believe you can day park there however ,but the new Aire is very good and not too expensive  considering it is in a great city.http://s284.photobucket.com/user/woody200/library/BRUGGE

Archived