Weight!

KerryR

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Billggski - 2015-07-11 5:38 PM

Just passed a motorhome in Ledbury where the rear floor was almost touching the road and I couldn't see the top half of the wheels. That's the sort that would be stopped and weighed.

Did it have a 'pensioners hotrod' on a rack?

One I saw a couple of weeks back was ridiculous, the front wheels could hardly have had any grip.

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2015-07-11 6:05 PM

Billggski - 2015-07-11 5:38 PM

Just passed a motorhome in Ledbury where the rear floor was almost touching the road and I couldn't see the top half of the wheels. That's the sort that would be stopped and weighed.

Did it have a 'pensioners hotrod' on a rack?

One I saw a couple of weeks back was ridiculous, the front wheels could hardly have had any grip.

I'll top that: best or worse depending on outlook :-) I have ever seen was in UK eurotunnel carpark years ago. Large coachbuilt. rear of motorhome had collapsed onto the ground? rear axle and wheels up in bodywork 8-)

wish I had snapped a picture it was a classic but we were running late....

The only safe way is to go to a weighbridge, manufacturers are allowed a +\- 5% tolerance. I took my own to a weighbridge and because it was heavier than I expected I took it to the factory where they confirmed that some of the 5% had been used during the manufacturing process. Partly due to the GRP element being difficult to control and a small plus element on bought in items. They suggested an upgrade to the max weight via SVTEC, but we did not want to go over the 3500kg limit. Different rules re travelling in Europe, Go Box and tolls etc.

So with CAREFULL management of what we took with us all was ok.

Don't guess weigh it.

Agree with Peter on the weight obsession

Brian's comment about nice people sticking within the weight law must extend to all road laws .... Hope those nice people have never run a red , drove at 35 in 30 or maybe had a tyre under the legal tread and so on .... Not be so nice then just hardened criminals like the rest of us me finks

mike 202 - 2015-07-13 11:45 AM

The only safe way is to go to a weighbridge, manufacturers are allowed a +\- 5% tolerance. I took my own to a weighbridge and because it was heavier than I expected I took it to the factory where they confirmed that some of the 5% had been used during the manufacturing process. Partly due to the GRP element being difficult to control and a small plus element on bought in items. They suggested an upgrade to the max weight via SVTEC, but we did not want to go over the 3500kg limit. Different rules re travelling in Europe, Go Box and tolls etc.

So with CAREFULL management of what we took with us all was ok.

Don't guess weigh it.

Are you saying it was over the 5% allowance Mike? Had you added options that increased the weight? What was the payload when weighed?

Weighbidges will show a variation anyway as I discoverd a few years back when I tried three local ones near Kings Lynn so if you are close the limit how sure can you be that your weight is accurate and can you be certain that if weighed at a roadside check you will be OK.

Our van has a theoretical payload of 610 kg but many are less than 300 kg.

Brian, I did add some extras, a cycle rack, solar panel, but the van was weighed without me in it at the factory. After taking into account plus and minus weights of fuel, water, gas bottles, extras and me (driver) not being in the van it was about plus 3% or 90kg. It was therefore within the maximum allowed limits. Armed with this knowledge and carefull selection of pots, bedding, BBq, and limiting the wife's clothing/shoe allowance, a further trip fully loaded with bikes fuel etc to my local weighbridge gave me a certificate below the 3500 kg limit.

On our trips to Spain we made sure that all of our food was used, water and waste tanks empty so that a "small" amount of wine could be brought home.

So no real complaints, and maybe I was being over cautious but better to be safe than sorry. Also changed my tyres at 6 yrs even though they still had 7 to 8 mm of tread left.

If 90kg was 3% approx, that implies a MIRO of about 3,000kg, leaving approx 500kg for the extra passenger, food, liquids, camping gear, clothes, bedding etc. etc. That should have been adequate, if not generous. If you were finding 500kg barely workable, I wonder if the actual MIRO was rather more than 3,000kg? Have you weighed the van empty (i.e. just full fuel but no-one, no water, no gas cylinder/s, and nothing else, on board)?

Archived