Dometic Aircon

audiseller

Hi, I'm a newbie on here but told that this is the definitive forum!

Does anybody have a recent Dometic A/C unit fitted with the optional DC2 kit fitted to allow operation whilst driving? I'm not convinced that Dometic UK fully understand the way in which these are intended to operate so would like to quiz any other owners.

Thanks in anticipation.

Guest JudgeMental
cant help Im afraid. but when I had a roof a/c and a large inverter + 2 batteries it struggle on the road (away from a/c supply) and cut out frequently. I think I needed a bigger alternator which is a common option these days..

We have a Weaco (Now Dometic) fitted . Had in from new 2006. Ours can be used on 12v while driving, (with a remote control )but best to turn off when stopped, as will flatten the battery.It also can be used as a heater on ehu if needed.

You don't say if you have it fitted or are thinking about it? In truth it is nice, but we don't use it much, (though did in Spain recently) Not sure I would bother to spend that sort of money again, as an electric fan would have served the purpose

PJay

Whether roof aircon is useful to you or not depends largely on when/where you tour and I wasn't convinced I'd have one again until the last couple of years, when longer term touring in France taught me it was. And here in UK it's currently a real blessing, so I've decided roof air definitely is worthwhile.

No experience of running it while driving because we have dash aircon too, which is also a real blessing.

I have this equipment fitted to my motorhome already. My issue is that it will only run on the 12V inverter. Unless the inverter is switched on it doesn't function. Reading the manual (really) it tells me that it switches automatically between 230V and 12V prioritising mains 230V when on hook-up. This is exactly what I require and thought I had paid for, just occasional use when driving but primarily for site hook-up, preferably 16A. The fitting dealer after consulting Dometic tells me that it will only run via the inverter. This is surely absolute nonsense as the unit is primarily intended for solely 230V operation and the not inconsiderable extra expense was meant to give me the option of either. What is the point in having mains hook-up if it will only operate via the inverter? I am becoming increasingly frustrated by the inability of the dealer and Dometic to come up with a sensible reply to my persistent questions. Is there something I am failing to grasp?

Ours runs on the inverter when running 12v, and EHU when on a camp site, but it is now nearly 10 years old , so maybe they are made differently, and ours is a WEACO.

Have to say was useful in Spain recently,

PJay

I believe that's the way they are meant to operate when fitted with the manufacturer's inverter system. Unfortunately mine will only run on the inverter and my dealer is trying to tell me that Dometic say that is correct. Dometic's so-called customer service seems to be a complete misnomer and they won't even reply to my e-mails. The manual quite clearly states that this is how it works. Why on earth would I pay several hundred pounds extra for it not to run on mains? Mine is also Waeco/Dometic it's the Freshlight 2200 and at the moment is just a very expensive roof light.

Yes, only runs on inverter whether on ehu or not. I can't get through to Dometic that this is incorrect and that on ehu it should automatically switch to mains supply. There is a separate switch for the inverter but unless that is switched on it won't work even on ehu.

Why can't you unplug it from the inverter (which will be supplying it with 230V in any case), and just plug it into a mains socket?

However, if it is described as having an auto changeover between inverter and EHU, then that is what it should do. It sounds as though a 230V link has been missed out, a changeover relay is defective, or the unit has been wrongly wired.

I've just skimmed throu the fitting instructions and it seems to indicate that with the invertor switched off it should run on 240v, so somewhere there should be a 240v supply gong into the system, i'm not sure if this goes to the ECL-102 distributor or if it feeds into the invertor which might have some internal switching, there seems to be no mention of where the 240v supply should be wired in, but as I say I've only skimmed throu it.

Thanks for suggestions. I would probably tend to agree with you Brian regarding wiring but I cannot understand why Dometic are telling the dealer it's only meant to run via the inverter. It shows a worrying lack of knowledge of their own products and I'm not sure how to resolve the matter as I seem to have met a brick wall. It would have been nice to have aircon in this weather!

Forgive me, but I assume that is what the dealer is telling you that Dometic are telling him. I'd press for that information at first hand from Dometic, because it seems illogical.

If the a/c unit is a 230V set, I can't see why the source of the 230V, vis-a-vis either inverter or mains, would make any difference to it's operation.

The a/c should never be allowed to run from the battery with the engine off, as it would very quickly flatten the battery. So, the inverter should be de-activated once the engine is turned off, as its quiescent current will be taking power from your battery with zero benefit, so a relay is required there. IMO, that relay should simultaneously switch over to a 230V supply, so that the a/c runs from that as soon as manis power is available.

My understanding of the Dometic kit is that it is intended to achieve this autochangeover function. I think contact Dometic and get someone to explain to you how it is supposed to function. I think there is (was!) more than one version, so maybe the wrong kit has been installed.

Guest JudgeMental
PJay - 2015-07-01 12:20 PM

We have a Weaco (Now Dometic) fitted . Had in from new 2006. Ours can be used on 12v while driving, (with a remote control )but best to turn off when stopped, as will flatten the battery.It also can be used as a heater on ehu if needed.

You don't say if you have it fitted or are thinking about it? In truth it is nice, but we don't use it much, (though did in Spain recently) Not sure I would bother to spend that sort of money again, as an electric fan would have served the purpose

PJay

same as what I had..never had to switch anything. I certainly would never have one again! and we have been in temps of 45 and lived (lol)

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-02 12:26 PM

Forgive me, but I assume that is what the dealer is telling you that Dometic are telling him. I'd press for that information at first hand from Dometic, because it seems illogical.

If the a/c unit is a 230V set, I can't see why the source of the 230V, vis-a-vis either inverter or mains, would make any difference to it's operation.

The a/c should never be allowed to run from the battery with the engine off, as it would very quickly flatten the battery. So, the inverter should be de-activated once the engine is turned off, as its quiescent current will be taking power from your battery with zero benefit, so a relay is required there. IMO, that relay should simultaneously switch over to a 230V supply, so that the a/c runs from that as soon as manis power is available. Mmm

My understanding of the Dometic kit is that it is intended to achieve this autochangeover function. I think contact Dometic and get someone to explain to you how it is supposed to function. I think there is (was!) more than one version, so maybe the wrong kit has been installed.

You have understood my problem exactly. 230V is 230V so why would they state it will only run on 230V through the inverter? The manual states quite clearly that it will always prioritise ehu and indeed says to make sure the inverter is switched off in case the mains input is cut off in which case it would revert to the battery supply with disastrous results. The dealer actually forwarded an e-mail from Dometic who had to ask someone in Gemany for the information as they didn't have a vehicle here to check the installation (?). When I asked why they required a vehicle instead of just referring to a wiring diagram they made it quite apparent that they thought I knew nothing and since then have steadfastly refused to answer my mails. One of the worst examples of customer service I have come across. Dometic do not reply to or acknowledge my e-mails and wIll only correspond with the dealer who in turn says that if that's what Dometic says then it must be right.

I'm pretty sure the right parts have been fitted as the part numbers do correspond to the manuals which clearly state how the system is intended to work and from one of the replies on here they even worked the way I expect 8 years ago. If the Dometic parts are correct I must assume the installation is incorrect but the van has been back to the dealer twice to supposedly check this with a 200 mile round trip on each occasion.

I can only assume that so few of these units are fitted in this country that both the dealer and Dometic are not familiar with this product in which case they should not allow their approved dealers to fit them. Meanwhile I am left with £3000 worth of kit that I cannot use.

JudgeMental - 2015-07-02 12:34 PM

PJay

same as what I had..never had to switch anything. I certainly would never have one again! and we have been in temps of 45 and lived (lol)

Interesting to hear you wouldn't have one again. Is that due to the equipment? Personally I wouldn't have a vehicle without at least a/c but preferably climate and if I lived in Southern Europe would certainly have a/c installed in any dwelling.

This is from Dometic's instruction manual for the DC1 kit, downloadable here http://tinyurl.com/np8ezx9

"The PP1002 inverter supplies the roof air conditioner with the required input voltage of 230 V.

The inverter generates the 230 V input voltage from the 12 V on-board electricity supply in the vehicle.

The accompanying remote control can switch the inverter on and off.

[RED]The integrated priority circuit can be used for distributing the voltage in the vehicle with two available power sources. If a mains voltage and volt-age created by the inverter (vehicle battery) are both connected to the device, the use of the mains voltage has priority. If the only voltage available is that generated by the inverter, the power supply from the battery is used. This ensures that the limited power of the battery is not used unnecessarily."

[/RED]

So, the design intention is clear, mains when connected to mains, 12V when not connected.

The dealer who installed the unit has responsibility for delivering a fully working installation, so is contractually obliged to make it work in accordance with Dometic's intent and instructions. I suggest you stop trying to sort this out with Dometic, and concentrate on the dealer, with whom you have a contract. Give him the opportunity to put it right and if he says he cannot, advise him you expect him to engage someone who can.

If he refuses, I'd first talk to Citizen's Advice and get their advice on how to proceed, and then to other Dometic a/c dealers in your area (details on Dometic's website under "Service"), explain the problem, check that they know and understand these units, and ether get one out to you if mobile, or take the van to them to repair, and contra-charge the supplying dealer for your expenses.

Thanks Brian, seems like good advice. It often takes someone looking at a problem from outside to be able cut to the chase so to speak. My unit is actually a DC2 Kit but presumably does the same and probably more than a DC1 as it was dearer or possibly specifically for the Freshlight 2200.

Seems ridiculous to have to take that attitude with the dealer considering I bought the Comanche from them initially but that is the next step obviously.

Link to DC2 kit here: http://tinyurl.com/q2a4s3o

From that installation manual:

"The PP2002 inverter supplies the roof air conditioner with the required input voltage of 230 V.

The inverter generates the 230 V input voltage from the 12 V on-board electricity supply in the vehicle.

Remote control FB1 can switch the inverter on and off (applies to CA2500/B2200/B1600 Plus, FJ1100/FJ1700/ FJ2200/FL 1600/FL 2200).

[RED]The integrated priority circuit can be used for distributing the voltage in the vehicle with two available power sources. If a mains voltage and voltage created by the inverter (vehicle battery) are both connected to the device, the use of the mains voltage has priority. If the only voltage available is that generated by the inverter, the power supply from the battery is used. This ensures that the limited power of the battery is not used unnecessarily.[/RED]"

So it is telling the same story.

In the user section it goes on to say:

"Stationary mode: 230 V mains operation.

The system is supplied with 230 V from the mains. Leave the inverter switched off. The socket on the inverter supplies electricity."

This may imply that selection of 230V the mains supply may be dependent on the inverter being switched off. Have you tried this to see if mains power only switches in when the inverter is switched off? I would have thought an automated switch-over facility would be installed, but the translation is less than sparklingly clear.

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-04 3:02 PM

Link to DC2 kit here: http://tinyurl.com/q2a4s3o

From that installation manual:

"The PP2002 inverter supplies the roof air conditioner with the required input voltage of 230 V.

Remote control FB1 can switch the inverter on and off (applies to CA2500/B2200/B1600 Plus, FJ1100/FJ1700/ FJ2200/FL 1600/FL 2200).

[RED]The integrated priority circuit can be used for distributing the voltage in the vehicle with two available power sources. If a mains voltage and voltage created by the inverter (vehicle battery) are both connected to the device, the use of the mains voltage has priority. If the only voltage available is that generated by the inverter, the power supply from the battery is used. This ensures that the limited power of the battery is not used unnecessarily.[/RED]"

So it is telling the same story.

In the user section it goes on to say:

"Stationary mode: 230 V mains operation.

The system is supplied with 230 V from the mains. Leave the inverter switched off. The socket on the inverter supplies electricity."

This may imply that selection of 230V the mains supply may be dependent on the inverter being switched off. Have you tried this to see if mains power only switches in when the inverter is switched off? I would have thought an automated switch-over facility would be installed, but the translation is less than sparklingly clear.

The user manual confirms it should have priority switching but warns not to have the inverter switched to the on position when on ehu just in case the power supply fails and you inadvertently end up running on the inverter. It will not run on mains supply at all. To get it to work at all the inverter has to be switched on so will rapidly kill the batteries or if on ehu the charger is working its socks off trying to replenish the batteries.

Then I think its either a defect in the kit (possible), or in the installation (IMO, more probable). In either case the dealer sold it, so the dealer should fix it. You could always tell them it does not work as described and you either want it remedied, so that it does, or removed without trace and your money back.

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-04 5:46 PM

Then I think its either a defect in the kit (possible), or in the installation (IMO, more probable). In either case the dealer sold it, so the dealer should fix it. You could always tell them it does not work as described and you either want it remedied, so that it does, or removed without trace and your money back.

Thanks for your input, I'll let you know the eventual outcome.

It sounds like the fitter/ dealer only read the first part of the instructions in the manual and is quoting that.

The bit in red in Brian's post explains it more clearly, but if the 230v hadn't been connected it would explain the situation and should be a simple fix.

Good luck.

We have a B2200 fitted to out van with the DC2 kit. It works whilst we are EHU on 240v and it also works through the DC2 kit though 240v. I was told whilst driving it needs to draws power from both my leisure batteries and my vehicle batterie. This is the only way it can get enough power to work whilst not on EHU. We can stop for a few minutes at traffic lights without a problem but if you use in while not driving it will drain your batteries.

Would not be without it.

Guest JudgeMental
audiseller - 2015-07-04 1:16 PM

JudgeMental - 2015-07-02 12:34 PM

PJay

Interesting to hear you wouldn't have one again. Is that due to the equipment? Personally I wouldn't have a vehicle without at least a/c but preferably climate and if I lived in Southern Europe would certainly have a/c installed in any dwelling.

I wouldn't have a van without cab a/c but roof a waste of time IMO. As in serious temps, for it to work efficiently van has to be closed up and blinds drawn, its like trying to sleep on a flight with the all the noise. so living in a hermetically sealed box not for me...a fully winterised well constructed van of more help keeping the heat out.

Just think that your better off acclimatizing yourself naturally, and you do very quickly. Have been in temps of 45+ in India/Italy and been fine. We carry a desktop fan and that's enough..even that has to be turned off during the night as it gets to cold. Park in shade, go out early. long lunch and chill by the pool and go out again in evening when it cools down. As only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun......

Archived